Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my opinion,
The fear of snakes comes from the respect that is needed to handle one.
You see most people are scared of something because of the respect or responsibility that is needed to be excersized when engaging in the activity etc.
Your scared of them because of the danger SOME of them create.
I think that snakes in captivity that bite or kill show us that the owner has a lack of respect or responsibility for the animal, but not always... this is not concrete.
If you can have a proper respect for the animal and safety precautions i think you will grow to have great experiences with snakes.

I would say if you can have confidence in your respect and responsibility (and Ben's) you will feel no fear of snakes

Hope this helps,
Crush

P.S.
Sorry if this sounds whacked out i couldnt think of any other way to write it.

Crush i don't think the bit about my reponsibility is going to help:lol::lol::lol:

Ben

Most of my fear comes from Ben's lack of responsibility Crush :)

Oh well... I'm sure I'll get used to it. But I swear to God, if I wake up with a bredli in the bed with me there will be hell to pay!

Glad I'm not the only one Crush! I've become used to being woken up by Ben putting the blueys in the bed but a snake is an entirely different story!

i'd rather get taged by a small snake than a blue tongue anyday, those little suckers pack a big punch, and don't like to let go

Erin- I had never been near a snake til my boyfriend got one, now he has more than one, I am used to them now. I thinks its easier to learn to handle then when they are small and less intimidating, but you also have to consider they tend to be jumpier when they are little..Even now I still would not be very happy if I found a snake in my bed :).. When t

contd...when the snake arrive just take it one day at time.. you will get used to it if you really want to...

This is my opinion,
The fear of snakes comes from the respect that is needed to handle one.
You see most people are scared of something because of the respect or responsibility that is needed to be excersized when engaging in the activity etc.
Your scared of them because of the danger SOME of them create.
quote]

Just on the fear thing, People always fear what they dont understand, its not really the respect or responsibility that causes fear, it is the lack of understanding.
When we understand a snakes behaviour and their nature, we are no longer scared as we now understand them.
So fear is just a lack of knowlege and understanding, and this goes for any time your scared.

Just on the irrational fear.
It is actually hardwired into our DNA to be frightened of snakes, just the shape etc.

Actually that's not true. Didn't you ever see the episode by Robert Winston - the guy who did "The Human Body" series - about development of children. They had a room full of toddlers who had (presumably harmless!) snakes crawling around and over them, and the kids had no reaction whatsoever apart from curiosity about these strange creatures.

As SOON as they put the babies' parents in the room - even when the parents didn't say or do anything obvious - the kids started freaking out about the snakes - it was the body language and tension that the parents gave off that "taught" the children to fear the snakes.

Very interesting!

Well it's happened :D:D:D

Picked up my Bredli from Glimmerman today and Erin even came along for the drive. was actually quite funny to see her face as Damian's showing us some of his other snakes:lol: Wouldn't really step into the room stayed at the door so she could manage a quick getaway i think..

She had the choice of driving home or sitting in the passenger seat holding the container with the snake, and actually chose to hold the snake:shock:

Have only taken the one pick as i moved her into her new home (snake not Erin:lol:) but once she's settled in i'll post a thread with some more....

Thanks to Glimmerman and Mr Bredli as well:D

Ben

Attachments

• DSC02689.jpg
    DSC02689.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC02686.jpg
    DSC02686.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 73
Looks like this thread achieved its purpose! :) Enjoy your new bredli Ben & Erin! :D

...I knew we could fool her, make sure you post Erin's first (of many) bites!! :D

HAHAHAHA...just kidding, Damians collection would have been a great introduction for her, he has some brilliant animals...

Congrats Erin and Ben!!! Woohoo !! :D Gorgeous snake , i've seriously gone Bredli mad :shock:

I feel I have to clarify that the reason I held the snake while Ben drove was coz I'm sick and do't really feel up to driving... Ben likes to twist things ;)

I did go inside the room... I just kept backing back out... I have to say my heart started beating pretty damn heavily while Damian had some of the older snakes out! Eeek!!

I think it'll take a little time to get used to but I'm letting it live in the same room I do all my sewing in so I guess I'll just have to adjust. I'm just hoping I'm not around when the housemates find out there's a snake living here!!

Magnificent.

Thread on Aps to stir up some feeling about Erin-Jane's fear of snakes: $Nothing
Lot's of replies telling her to harden up and let Ben have his snake: $Nothing
Ben buying his snake: $(Undisclosed)

A picture or Erin-Jane looking a little green while hold said snake: $Priceless.

:p

I really think you guys need to go and pick out one together. Find something really placid and make it a together activity not just Bens thing. Good luck

Oops gosh what good advice lol. i didn't realise you already had got it. Well done. Just wait Erin you will be in love with it within the month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back