Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first snake was an olive and i now have two of them. never been bitten by either of them, had to peal some skin off my males head the other day due to bad shed and not even a snap out of him without any restriction of his head.
I might just have two very placid ones, but the choice lies with you if thats what you want, then get it as long as you are prepeared if it is a bit snappy at first.

i got a jungle for my first, placid as and great looking snake

Geesus gozz, who bred that hypo? :shock: STUNNER! how old?

do your research n get what you want. at the end of the day ur the one who is guna be keeping the animal.
:)

I got a diamond and it is the best snake ever.
Well I cant really say that cause it is my first snake but still I recon it is atleast one of the best snakes ever.
It looks great, has a great temper and is great overall

I have a pair of olive pythons. Bought them recently as young adults. Mine are originally wild caught from NT and they are great to handle. They have their moments like anybody, but generally I love them. They are quite placid and don't seem to mind being handled. They are very different to a carpet snake. Carpets are graceful explorers where my olives are spirited and like to get from A to B as quick as possible with no stops in between. I've taken them out on the grass and they will climb up my legs and happily perch on my shoulders. Feed time is a different story. Mine are quite aggressive when taking their food. God help anyone who dares them while in feed response and watch they don't get you. They aren't easy to pull off if they happen to grab you.

What you want to consider though, Miley is their size. I know you say you're aware they grow big but you have to be able to afford to be ahead of them. Can you afford the enclosure size it needs - it won't need the big one first up so you'll have a couple of years to work on preparing their final enclosures. Olives require large feeds. Are you prepared to feed them guinea pigs or rabbits if you can't find suitable sized rats.

And you have to know they are a large snake and you should not attempt to handle them on your own. Can you imagine 12foot of olive latching onto you, and when they do they will wrap themselves around your arm or where ever, and they are hefty beasts so be sure someone else is always around when you handle your snakes in case something goes wrong and they can help you with them.

Other than that, I can't fault mine, I love them, won't trade them for anything. Respect them and enjoy!

Now I should start practicing what I preach :rolleyes:

I have a pair of olive pythons. Bought them recently as young adults. Mine are originally wild caught from NT and they are great to handle. They have their moments like anybody, but generally I love them. They are quite placid and don't seem to mind being handled. They are very different to a carpet snake. Carpets are graceful explorers where my olives are spirited and like to get from A to B as quick as possible with no stops in between. I've taken them out on the grass and they will climb up my legs and happily perch on my shoulders. Feed time is a different story. Mine are quite aggressive when taking their food. God help anyone who dares them while in feed response and watch they don't get you. They aren't easy to pull off if they happen to grab you.

What you want to consider though, Miley is their size. I know you say you're aware they grow big but you have to be able to afford to be ahead of them. Can you afford the enclosure size it needs - it won't need the big one first up so you'll have a couple of years to work on preparing their final enclosures. Olives require large feeds. Are you prepared to feed them guinea pigs or rabbits if you can't find suitable sized rats

And you have to know they are a large snake and you should not attempt to handle them on your own. Can you imagine 12foot of olive latching onto you, and when they do they will wrap themselves around your arm or where ever, and they are hefty beasts so be sure someone else is always around when you handle your snakes in case something goes wrong and they can help you with them.

Other than that, I can't fault mine, I love them, won't trade them for anything. Respect them and enjoy!

Now I should start practicing what I preach :rolleyes:
well said

my olive is placid aswell. food time its like he doesnt care if he gets me or the rabbit though i think he aims at me though

If you want an Olive and thats what your heart is set on, I say go for it.
I have an Olive myself and she is a joy to handle. Never bitten or even striked.

You have made it clear that you understand how big they get and that you have the space,
so why not.
In my experiance the odds of getting a snappy Olive is the same as getting a snappy Coastal, Bredli, Childrens, ect.
In saying that, if you get a hatchling. As is grows so will your confidence with it.
Everyone has differant taste, I think an Olive is a good 1st python as long as you do a bit of research on them, to understand what your taking on.

thanks andy, yeah I would love an olive but have bredli at the moment and wouldn't trade him for the world. I don't have the space at the moment but look out when i do!

nice a bredli is also a good snake that was wat i was tossing up with when i first went to get my olive python but i ended up with my olive placid as and will never miss a feed its only about 12 months old and its pretty close to a metre long already if it isnt already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back