"not" cheap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

I was just in my local pet shop[on the northside of brizzy]buying large mealworms when l decided to check out the frozen rodents [spying] gee-wizz x-large rats that l would estimate would be 140-160 grams $11.95 on special imo they are sub-adults / juvies so it makes me curious what they call rats that are 350-400 plus and jumbos that are 500 plus grams.....solar 17 [Baden]

Mate they're near impossible to find and cost an arm and a leg i paid 23 for a adult"jumbo" once was so angry glad i fi=ound your details the week later.

The markup on rats is ridiculous... it's really sad that we pay that sort of price for something that is considered to be a rodent just because they are snake food....

There are some decent pet shops that are near the cost of the breeders but most of the decent ones are out most times so you have to make an order. So glad I found a breeder.

I was just in my local pet shop[on the northside of brizzy]buying large mealworms when l decided to check out the frozen rodents [spying] gee-wizz x-large rats that l would estimate would be 140-160 grams $11.95 on special imo they are sub-adults / juvies so it makes me curious what they call rats that are 350-400 plus and jumbos that are 500 plus grams.....solar 17 [Baden]

Disect them and fat would be a good starting point for a description. The trouble is that this weeks etra large can become nextweeks large or jumbo depending upon what the supplier wants to get rid of. A consistent discription linked to a weight range would be useful.

Paying $18 for sub adults on the south coast nsw
What weight is a subadult?

The markup on rats is ridiculous... it's really sad that we pay that sort of price for something that is considered to be a rodent just because they are snake food....
What is the markup? Is it any higher than bread or milk,light globes or soft drink. Pet shops have similar costs to any other business.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to 2 shops today the first shop wanted $21.95 for what i would of guessed would of been a 150 g rat and the second 1 where i ended up purchasing 2 rats at about 150 g that cost me $15.50 sux but dont really know any breeders around here so yea :-(

It's just disgusting what they are charging for adult dead rats.

If I was in that position of needing larger food items (which I will be in the future) and I wasn't breeding my own the produce store up the road always sells large adult guinea pigs for $5 each.

yeah my food bill costs about $180 every time i get stuff
usualy a 'mixed' bag of mice,rats, the odd bunny every now and then.

but there has to be a breeder around the bay.

I went to 2 shops today the first shop wanted $21.95 for what i would of guessed would of been a 150 g rat and the second 1 where i ended up purchasing 2 rats at about 150 g that cost me $15.50 sux but dont really know any breeders around here so yea :-(

I can't beleive those prices. I am settled with 4 female breeders and 1 male, they produce enough young to keep me well and truly in rats for my 6 pythons. I do feed them the odd chicken though (I get them for free from a mate on a farm, he has heaps). If it was worth it to anyone I could arrange for some cheap chickens (bantams) for those that have larger snakes (pm me).

I use this scale for grading my rodents, would be nice if everyone else did!

Rat Pinkies
1-6 days
3-8 grams
1-2"
Mouse Fuzzie

Rat Fuzzies
7-13 days
9-20 grams
2-2.5"
Hopper or Weaned Mice

Rat Pups
2-3 weeks
21-30 grams
2.5-3.5"
Large Mouse

Weaned Rats
3-4 weeks
31-45 grams
3.5-4.5"
X-Large Mouse

Small Rats
4-6 weeks
46-79 grams
4.5-6"

Medium Rats
6-8 weeks
80-149 grams
6-8"

Large Rats
8-10 weeks
150-265 grams
8-9"
1/2 lb Rabbit

X-Large Rats
Adult Rat
266-360 grams
9-11"
1 lb Rabbit

XX-Large Rats
Adult Rat
Over 361 grams
11" +
1.5 lb Rabbit

I can't beleive those prices. I am settled with 4 female breeders and 1 male, they produce enough young to keep me well and truly in rats for my 6 pythons. I do feed them the odd chicken though (I get them for free from a mate on a farm, he has heaps). If it was worth it to anyone I could arrange for some cheap chickens (bantams) for those that have larger snakes (pm me).

I picked up day old meat chickens for $2.50each today.

If you don't like petshop prices purchase rodents directly from a supplier or breed your own. Oh but hang on... that's the logical thing to do and why would member's listen to logic when they can continue to have a cry about things.

Last edited by a moderator:
you read my mind Baden, i was at my local petstore today talking to the owner as he wanted to start getting some rats from me. I asked him for a list of sizes that he sells and what he classes them as, and going by that i have been ripping myself off.
The sizes i was quoted were:
Pinky: 3-8g
Velvet 12-16
Weiner 30-45
Small 50-60
Medium 90-120
Large 150-230
XL 230+

From the same produce store that sells the guinea pigs for $5 dollars.

PM sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back