Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
l was told by someone who l know of that works in the Department of Sustainability & Environment that was envolved in putting Victoria's wildlife Regulations together between 91 to 92, when l first moved into my townhouse here in Melbourne in early 1997, that l am not allowed to take my Python's or Lizard's outside in my courtyard, even those its fully enclosed unless l make sure the Reptiles are put into a escape proof enclosure, otherwise they must stay inside where they are safe and secure from escaping, or l could be fined or risk loosing my licence if they escape and attack someone including a neighbour.

It's just sad that the neighbour couldn't complain to your face...

They never do. They complain to everyone else in the town BUT us. lol they told us that a lady further up the road complained about a rooster we had once (with a permit from council) and that she thinks roosters are okay, BUT the council inspector came out and hinted it was these neighbors that made the complaint. When we pointed out that their dogs 'yap' constantly when we are out back, Inspector said thats what dogs do and he didnt see an issue with it. HENCE I decided to get 'pets/scale kids' that didn't fall under the local shire bylaws.

I am going to be really interested to see who they complain to....every time anything happens with reptiles it becomes a pass the parcel with everyone saying....oh no reptiles arent our responsibility......so if you do receive a visit do tell us who it is from !!!!!

In Qld it was possible to get charged by police for having pet snakes in the open in public view within your property
As far as the police were concerned they had never charged anyone
But it came under public mischief or some strange law like that, even though my front yard was not a public area
My backyard was jungle so I would play with new slitherers out the front to evaluate them as demo snakes
I argued the toss with the cops and a desk sergeant basically said
You wont be charged because its rubbish and a waste of paperwork
But you could be if you dont shut up

I guess as long as you're nice about it and you're doing everything right by the law, the police shouldn't have anything to do with it. I'm sure they have better things to do. But if the council gets multiple complaints it would probably be in the hands of animal control or the wildlife department. I would assume anyway. There's nothing illegal about handling your licensed animals on your own fenced property.

I sun my tigers and red belly blacks in the front yard. Got some weird looks from people at times :) Even had an Irish lady with a heavy accent stop and say "is that a tiger snake???" ....I was impressed. But then again, maybe the stripes gave him away :lol:

I also had one of the next door neighbours kids eye to eye with one of my darwins once, then unexpectedly the mother came out and nearly had a heart attack when she saw it. You should have seen it! :lol: It would have looked pretty bad as the snake was about a foot off the ground looking at him. He's just an inquisitive snake and hasn't bitten anyone ever....some people :lol: The kid had no fear and was enjoying the staring contest.

our bhp has twice been identified by passers by as a tiger snake :) In Darwin!

Well with the rule being "said reptile can not be moved from said address unless going to the vet or being sold" then there is nothing anyone can do you have your rights and some people just need to mind their own business.

Without reading all the replies, this may have already been said... but anyway- People have dogs, cats and an array of other pets that bark, scratch and **** everywhere NOT UNDER their owners supervision.

If this is taken any further by the neighbour or any other party to take action against you for having your snake out, supervised, on your property, would be beyond a joke. I'd probably set up an out door pit just to spite them.

One of my kids friends mum asked me if my jungle was a tiapan , when i said no she asked "are you sure ? " lol

If they dont stop complaining do the same and ring the council about their yapping dogs and keep catching their cat , but if you want to try and keep the peace maybe extend the fence posts and hang some shade cloth so the sook can not see them .
It would be funny as to see his face if you put a rubber snake in his mail box lmao and if he questions you about it say " it was the lady up the road "
good luck :)

cheers nico

People are not supposed to have dogs in front yards unattended, as any person has the legal right to approach your front door without fear! Also if a snake in Victoria is under your control and attended at all times then DSE cannot say or do anything, if it has the opportunity to escape from you then you are in breach of the regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont feel the need to aggravate my neighbours by rubbing their noses in my hobby, while they all know i have snakes, they know theyre well contained, (indoors or in the aviary), but theyre happy that they rarely see them.

while it may be legal to let them have a supervised cruise around the front, i dont really see the point if the backyard is just as good,....

If their front and back door is basically at your back yard/fence then how exactly do they see your front yard? also if it is fenced how does he see your snakes, you have a certain level of right to privacy and if he is looking over the fence that is an invasion of privacy (nifty thing with neighbours like this if you get video evidence of it ;))

as you said front yard is leaps and bounds better for the exercise so maybe look into a way to block view by a gate or simply have a shade cloth covering for the driveway opening, so many options and directions but these situations are never fun or easily resolved unfortunately.
don't let their animals put you off from using your backyard either, let them bark after all you won't be getting the noise complaint.

I used to have nosy neighbors sticking their beaks over my fence, but then I just had bigger fences built :lol: I could keep elephants in the backyard and they'd have no clue :)

I think that this is the biggest problem as we all know, the general public knows bugger all about snakes. Educate your neighbour.
I don't reckon that there is any law that says you can't do this on your own property so long as it stays that way & cannot escape.
Cheers
Ian

isnt it amazing, people with snakes can do whatever they want and to hell with anyone that doesnt like snakes, has a phobia, etc

yet every other pet owners has all these rules to follow, in fact ive seen many people in this forum and this 'thread' suggesting its ok to MURDER peoples cats and in some cases 'feed' them to your snakes

i always thought respect went both ways, guess it doesnt huh

I didn't suggest it was ok. I was told by authorities while looking for the local "Ranger" to kill them. Read it again

Id be documenting everything with these ppl. I would all so be trying to talk to them and try to work something out (document this all so!) I think if you try to do all that you can and work with them, if they try to go to anyone and say anything you can say/show that you went above and beyond. When ever someone try's to get cranky or angry with me I smile and the more they get worked up the nicer I try to get. Makes them look like an idiot and you like a saint! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back