Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be good to read again way into the future
Hopefully things will have changed

Pro rights I guess mate. Most people walk their dogs that have as much potential to cause injury as any python (obviously not vens) so why can't we take our pythons out in public? I guess because its deemed we have no reason to. And I think I agree. Its stress on the animal for one. Its generally not publicly accepted - even if it was legal. Snakes don't benefit from a walk on a leash either ;). The only reason I'd want the law changed would be to cover me in transit and if I take them out to the curb for sunning. (not that they police it anyway)

Pro rights I guess mate. Most people walk their dogs that have as much potential to cause injury as any python (obviously not vens) so why can't we take our pythons out in public? I guess because its deemed we have no reason to. And I think I agree. Its stress on the animal for one. Its generally not publicly accepted - even if it was legal. Snakes don't benefit from a walk on a leash either ;). The only reason I'd want the law changed would be to cover me in transit and if I take them out to the curb for sunning. (not that they police it anyway)

Another reason is there is a greater risk of a snake escaping of it was out. The risk of releasing a out of area snake into the area isn't good. Yes I understand dogs aren't native to specific areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find that even people who are afraid of snakes will relax when watching me handle mine. My best friend just visited from Cairns, and I had my spotted hanging out on my lap while we were watching TV. She was on the other side of the couch, and at first she was staring at him like he was a drooling fiend. After about 1/2 hour she relaxed enough to touch him on the back-end ("I'll keep the pointy end over here, you can touch that bit") She really enjoyed it. Hands-on isn't necessary, but watching a relaxed person handle a snake can do wonders for herp PR.
I find, though, that talking to everyone and anyone who will listen is best for public education, though. Most people don't realize that snakes won't give chase (I do always acknowledge the feisty-ness of the coastal taipan though) and that most people who are bitten are trying to catch/kill the snake. Explaining why you like and keep them seems to help a lot.
Right now, Australia isn't ready for snake-owners to be able to bring them out in public, but talking to people seems to really help, and you know they're going to keep it in mind as it's so different from anything they've probably ever heard before.

The kids in the classes I visited were enthrawled watching me handle Skittles and they found it really funny when I talked to him after he did a bluff strike at my face and told him to settle down and not be so grumpy. The fact that I wasn't scared or put off by his little show made the world of difference even to the kids who were shrinking back in their seats when I took him through the group for a closer look.

Although this is not a fresh thread it remains a potent and insightful opening post by Cement.
An interesting discussion ensued as well. Bravo!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back