Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that annoys me is that there are things a lot worse than snakes out there, and happen in many families, but eh, we won't talk about that, will we? Humans are not a bright species, they never have been, they are generally run by fear or lust, and unfortunately that is unlikely to change any time soon. Humans start wars, fight over resources, kill, plunder, and squander, and judge themselves as right and everyone else wrong. Such is the pathetic state of human nature. We never change. Get used to it. In the meantime, don't take your snakes out because 90% of the population will not appreciate it and will more likely revile at the sight of a snake!

Humans are also run by love and reason, we share resources, save lives, risk ourselves for and believe in one another. People do change as individuals, and while I think we're the only species capable of hatred, admitting it without mentioning that we're also capable of love is just opening the door for the Four Horsemen! Don't worry, be happy now!

Phobia or No phobia, it is AGAINST your licence conditions to have your reptiles out in public places UNLESS you are at the vets or at a reptile show or you have an exhibitors licence.

And if you read my post(s), I'm NOT arguing this point and I said I've never taken my animals anywhere except the vet or local SOFAR meetings. Nor am I condoning the behaviour of anyone who takes their animals out in public.

I was merely trying to open the discussion more instead of the typical 'it's illegal and not up for discussion' herd-morality.
Funnily enough, this is how politics progresses - open, honest discussion without resorting to '..but it's illegal!'.

Last edited:
And if you read my post(s), I'm NOT arguing this point and I said I've never taken my animals anywhere except the vet or local SOFAR meetings. Nor am I condoning the behaviour of anyone who takes their animals out in public.

I was merely trying to open the discussion more instead of the typical 'it's illegal and not up for discussion' herd-mentality.

i think that this was a generalised post, it doesn't seem to be directed at you. FAY is just saying unless you have to just leave the snake at home

I am always disapointed that we cannot take our reptlies anywhere.

I have really apreciated people like SYNeR and other that do take their animals to Herp meetings. For a long time we have been an underground hobby. How do we get to see these animals and learn form other keepers. There is really only so much that you can leand from reading. The best learning is an interactive experience.

How does someone facinated by a hatchie coastal determine how they will cope with handeling the little guy when he is over 3m.

In a nutshell I support the not taking your animals hear there and anywhere (ie public places), however would like to see some allowance for herp society meetings.

FAY: Have people ever bought their animals to your meetings, and how would you react to such a breach of licence conditions.

The thing that annoys me is that there are things a lot worse than snakes out there, and happen in many families, but eh, we won't talk about that, will we? Humans are not a bright species, they never have been, they are generally run by fear or lust, and unfortunately that is unlikely to change any time soon. Humans start wars, fight over resources, kill, plunder, and squander, and judge themselves as right and everyone else wrong. Such is the pathetic state of human nature. We never change. Get used to it. In the meantime, don't take your snakes out because 90% of the population will not appreciate it and will more likely revile at the sight of a snake!
Not a bright species compared to what exactly?

I feel this is a very constructive way of pointing people in the right direction without making them look stupid or feel ignorant. It is also more inclined not to get their defences up. Pen is mightier then the sword....
We all as humans make silly mistakes or use poor judgement, putting people in the "spotlight" as individuals can sometimes make them veer away from the very information your trying to impart to them. Be it from ego or embarrassment amongst their peers.
Well Done
Kind regards
Crystal

I am always disapointed that we cannot take our reptlies anywhere.

I have really apreciated people like SYNeR and other that do take their animals to Herp meetings. For a long time we have been an underground hobby. How do we get to see these animals and learn form other keepers. There is really only so much that you can leand from reading. The best learning is an interactive experience.

How does someone facinated by a hatchie coastal determine how they will cope with handeling the little guy when he is over 3m.

In a nutshell I support the not taking your animals hear there and anywhere (ie public places), however would like to see some allowance for herp society meetings.

FAY: Have people ever bought their animals to your meetings, and how would you react to such a breach of licence conditions.

Out of curiosity, how does SOFAR (and other herp meetings) allow us to bring our reptiles?
Exhibitor licence?

Not a bright species compared to what exactly?

Idealism and well, lesser species to an extent sometimes unfortunately lol

there may be the odd occasion i may take her in the car when she gets bigger

Hey Rachy, I think you may have missed the point of the thread,....re read what was said about the ambulance scenario if your snake is loose in the car after an accident paramedics and police will not try and save your life if it's needed till a snake handler is called. I think this is if you had a sign stating vens on board or not on the tub, could mean your life or death as suggested in original post. I suggest you don't take him for little jaunts around the block etc.

Will it help if I put 'cute little Stimson python - the most placid animal I've ever come across' on the click-clack?
This is an honest assessment!

OMG....how long are pple going to keep flaming me?and i bought my lizard a harness and leash from a very 'legal' pet store.squish enjoys cruising around on the grass feeling 'free'.my snakes are more than just pets,they are my constant companions,or were until this morning.i talk to them while on my laptop or in my shirt,which i suppose is wrong too,every morning when i get up so does the snakes,for me to quick pat on the way to coffee,they like to be acknowleged,or i thought they did til this morning.right now sookie la-la is at the top of her enclosure gently tapping her nose on it saying c'mon mum it's out time,which til this morning would have been true.

Sookie, you need to calm down - this is not all about you. Besides what's to stop you doing what the rest of use do... enjoy our animals in the privacy and security of our own homes. No one has told you, you are not allowed to remove your snake from her enclosure in your own home. You just have to respect the law.

OMG....how long are pple going to keep flaming me?and i bought my lizard a harness and leash from a very 'legal' pet store.squish enjoys cruising around on the grass feeling 'free'.my snakes are more than just pets,they are my constant companions,or were until this morning.i talk to them while on my laptop or in my shirt,which i suppose is wrong too,every morning when i get up so does the snakes,for me to quick pat on the way to coffee,they like to be acknowleged,or i thought they did til this morning.right now sookie la-la is at the top of her enclosure gently tapping her nose on it saying c'mon mum it's out time,which til this morning would have been true.

What happened this morning???

The other thread got closed this arvo.name calling,insult throwung smart#$%^ comments and sniggers all towards me,because my snakes are like dogs to me,constant companions.not just pretty ornaments or baby making money making machines.they are my family in a lot of ways,close family.and i got flamed hardcore and nasty.

On the topic of stressing the snakes out , I know of heaps of snakes that can handle crowds, even a large red belly that is always free handled like a python and climbs around peoples shoulders. For some snakes the excursion out is not a problem.
I have even had to get a diamond out of from behind the dashboard of a car which was parked next to a known diamond python haunt so I figured it must have climbed in the window while it was parked. After disassembling the dash I found out that the snake was a pet and they always drive around with it. The job took me 1.5 hrs and it was a 6 ft solid python. She had it get up in the dash and called us, because she had to get to the airport to go overseas. She never actually said that it was wild but she never said that it was her pet either until I questioned her later and her daughter came up to take it. We are volunteer wildlife rescue, not "i'm a moron, pet owner rescue", and there goes an hr and half out of my arvo after a 8hr day at work.

In a lot of ways I wish Australia was like Bali, but in a lot more, i am glad it isn't.

I didn't put these words down to point the finger , but more to try and get some realisation out there. We as humans have ALL manner of fetish and personal likes and tastes, but this thread ONLY relates to herps.

I love to scare me mates with snakes, it's part of being aussie, but I am respectful of others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scenario, you take your friendly snake to the shops. Whilst there someone has their Jack Russell there going walkies. The JR sees said snake and has a crack at it as you walk past without warning. Your snake is now injured and stressed, the poor JR you would want put down for being a dangerous dog when it was only doing what it would do in its own yard

Meanwhile we will still wander around the streets here where most of the local shop keepers know each snake by name Gotta love Bali

Yup. You couldn't take snakes for a walk for much of the time in Melbourne because it's too freakin' cold! ;)

I'm curious, Longqi, what is the general Balinese attitude towards snakes and other reptiles? I'm guessing the population isn't as frightened or disgusted by them as they are here?

Cement I know exactly where you are coming from and you started a good thread that raised some very interesting points that led to mostly healthy debate
Its all good
While I was in Aus I 'usually' tried to obey the restrictions there
But I didnt like them too much

Asian people as a community are usually terrified of snakes
But they very quickly have adopted ours
Even if they avoid coming into the display most of them have decided the snakes are not too bad after seeing them so often

Asian people as a community are usually terrified of snakes
But they very quickly have adopted ours
Even if they avoid coming into the display most of them have decided the snakes are not too bad after seeing them so often

That's a good result and perhaps an argument for being able to take them out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back