Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cement

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
As a snake catcher and relocator, I get to see and meet many different types of people who are having a confrontation with a reptile.

It didn't take me long to figure out that the majority of people I meet are flat out scared of reptiles. If I was to extrapolate the percentages I would guess that probably 90% of people are scared and under the wrong impressions about our native herps and talk of wives tales that they were told and believe.

In fact in the years that I have being doing this I have only ever been able to actually hand a wild diamond to 2 people for a quick hold. This is after talking the truth about them and following it up with a demonstration and is a part of my job in educating the public.

To look at it further, I would say that 15% of all my call outs are to people who are so scared of reptiles that they physically become sick at the sight of them, and stress terribly if they get much closer then a few meters away. One example just quickly, (and I have heaps) is the young fella who is a nurse (so fairly hardened to blood and guts etc) who had a bluetounge stuck in his laundry, which i removed. he was so stressed at the sight of it he almost passed out and had to sit down and could not look at it. I had to bag it and keep it out of sight. There was no point at all in hanging around and talking of the beauty and truth about them.

To help these people is our job as reptile rescuers. You soon understand that it is simply the way it is, and you will not change these people. You have to respect that persons point of view, and handle the situation professionally, and with real care for the person involved. They have done the right thing by calling us, so we catch the animal and get it out of there as quickly as.

These people are in our society, and just because we feel comfortable with our one or two pet snakes, doesn't give us the right to take our pets out into the public domain. The NPWS, and the police etc also realize that there are these reptile phobic people in society, and this is why it is illegal to take them out into public without the proper authority.

To do so, is not only breaking the law, and your reptile keeping licence conditions,
but a vain attempt to show everyone how special you are, at the risk of severely stressing out other members of the public. You can do what you want at home with them, but if you can't be responsible with them then you will eventually probably lose them and also damage everyone else's chances of keeping at the same time.

Cars..... Another point to make here is this. I was told before I started relocating that i must have the animal bagged and in a transport tub. On that tub must be a sign/sticker declaring that inside the tub is a venomous snake (if it is a ven).
If I am ever involved in a car accident and the cops or ambo's see that I am carrying a tub that says venomous snake on it, They will not touch me until another snake handler is called and there is no threat to them. This will be the case if you need help and a python is loose in your car too. Ironically, it could well be the snake that causes the accident, and then you bleed out waiting for someone who knows snakes, to move it out of the way.

It boils down simply to RESPECT. Respect of others who don't share your passion.

hey cement and mods, can this be made a sticky???

I thought one of the things that hasn't been discussed when talking about this topic is the stress to the animal, also. I don't think snakes would like going out for a cruise or going into a cold shopping centre and constantly being shaken around by walking and driving. I bought my snakes up from Ipswich to the sunshine coast in a click clack with a sock in it to hide. Two were ok but one was fairly scared, and a sock in a click clack in a car driving on a straight highway is a lot less stressful than a trip to the mall.

Wow, never thought about the car accident scenario makes a lot of sense though not that i take mine out in public.

I get clammy and nauseous when I'm around Vens. after my little incident at the Ettamogah Pub so I can fully understand someone feeling ill when confronted by something they are afraid of or have had a very bad experience with.

I get clammy and nauseous when I'm around Vens. after my little incident at the Ettamogah Pub so I can fully understand someone feeling ill when confronted by something they are afraid of or have had a very bad experience with.

What happened at the Etemogah pub?

Reptile-phobic people, yes. But I also have a phobia of dogs ;)
Unfortunately, apart from the legal aspect, all it boils down to is 'it's not socially acceptable, therefore don't do it'.
It sucks that this just helps to continually reinforce the stigma associated with reptiles.

Having said that, the only place I've taken my reptiles is to the vet, and local SOFAR meetings.

A handler got bitten by a Tiger Snake and I managed to keep him alive long enough for the Ambo's to get there.

I can totally understand why you'd get a little light-headed around vens. Have you told this story in more detail elsewhere? I'd like to read it if you have. It could be a good lesson.

I can totally understand why you'd get a little light-headed around vens. Have you told this story in more detail elsewhere? I'd like to read it if you have. It could be a good lesson.

Yes I have...I believe it was a thread about "free handling vens."

Some people have a phobia for snakes especially. Some phobias can start the person hyperventilating it is that bad....would you want to be responsible for someone going into cardiac arrest because of your silly actions??? Plus in NSW it is against your licence conditions.

The thing that annoys me is that there are things a lot worse than snakes out there, and happen in many families, but eh, we won't talk about that, will we? Humans are not a bright species, they never have been, they are generally run by fear or lust, and unfortunately that is unlikely to change any time soon. Humans start wars, fight over resources, kill, plunder, and squander, and judge themselves as right and everyone else wrong. Such is the pathetic state of human nature. We never change. Get used to it. In the meantime, don't take your snakes out because 90% of the population will not appreciate it and will more likely revile at the sight of a snake!

Some people suffer social and a multitude of other phobias, too. Am I to claim responsibility for those, too?
If you really want to be pedantic, don't interact with ANYONE. Because they could have any possible phobia
(or combination thereof) you don't know about.. I'm scared senseless by large, barking dogs. We should ban those too, and ban public
off-leash areas for dogs too, right?

I know there's the legal side, but there's more to it than that and I think it is worth discussing. Besides, do
we really want to use the Nuremberg defense? Rather than some kind of draconian law enforcement, I would have
thought education and changed policies would be a better bet, but that's just me.

The thing that annoys me is that there are things a lot worse than snakes out there, and happen in many families, but eh, we won't talk about that, will we? Humans are not a bright species, they never have been, they are generally run by fear or lust, and unfortunately that is unlikely to change any time soon. Humans start wars, fight over resources, kill, plunder, and squander, and judge themselves as right and everyone else wrong. Such is the pathetic state of human nature. We never change. Get used to it. In the meantime, don't take your snakes out because 90% of the population will not appreciate it and will more likely revile at the sight of a snake!

lol, agreed. A lot of humans scare me much more than reptiles - the potential to do harm is much greater.

Has anyone seen those bearded dragon leashes for sale? I've seen them at a few local pet stores..

Reptile-phobic people, yes. But I also have a phobia of dogs ;)
Unfortunately, apart from the legal aspect, all it boils down to is 'it's not socially acceptable, therefore don't do it'.
It sucks that this just helps to continually reinforce the stigma associated with reptiles.

Interesting point SYNer. And yes, there are definitely many members of the public who would prefer never to encounter dogs, but dogs are not regulated to the same extent as reptiles. My heart starts to beat fast when I see a dog near me that's off the leash.

Before I go on I should say I don't take Zephyr outside my home, not even in my apartment complex. First, I don't think it's necessary. Second, I don't know when I'm going to meet a person who's absolutely petrified of snakes, and, like Kawasaki said, I wouldn't want to stress my girl.

I think it might be unfair to say that every person who takes their snake for a public walk is being a show-off. While it certainly isn't legal, or perhaps right, I think some people do it because to them their reptile is a companion just like a dog or cat. To me, reptiles are different than mammals, even if they are a companion, but I'm beginning to see there are a variety of attitudes within the reptile-keeping community.

Cement: thank you for talking about your experiences as a reptile collector/relocator. I love hearing from people who do this job. A thought-provoking post.

Great heads up for those who do take there reps on trips to the shops etc,..re the car crash scenario .....I think those who do (other than public education exhibitors) are in it for the look at moi aspect for attention knowing that they may well encounter someone who has an adverse reaction and get their silly kicks outta it. Stepping off soapbox now ;)

Some people suffer social and a multitude of other phobias, too. Am I to claim responsibility for those, too?
If you really want to be pedantic, don't interact with ANYONE. Because they could have any possible phobia
(or combination thereof) you don't know about.. I'm scared senseless by large, barking dogs. We should ban those too, and ban public
off-leash areas for dogs too, right?

I know there's the legal side, but there's more to it than that and I think it is worth discussing. Besides, do
we really want to use the Nuremberg defense? Rather than some kind of draconian law enforcement, I would have
thought education and changed policies would be a better bet, but that's just me.

lol, agreed. A lot of humans scare me much more than reptiles - the potential to do harm is much greater.

Phobia or No phobia, it is AGAINST your licence conditions to have your reptiles out in public places UNLESS you are at the vets or at a reptile show or you have an exhibitors licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back