Pinacle of morphs ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
Hey guys, ive been looking hard for some great morphs available to the common enthusiest but im struggeling to find absolutely anything.
My python keeping was inspired by the american ball pythons (No i did'nt own one) and the brilliant morphs i had seen online, My question is;
Is there anything unique that stands out and is similar to some of the morphs they are capable of bringing out in ball pythons such as piebalds and granites ?

At the moment im to the understanding that the pinacle of australian pythons are limited to albino variations, Not saying they arnt impressive but they are so common

Thanks guys

- - - Updated - - -

Also ive looked into different morphs of GTP but they are not apealing to me

I think it just needs to be remembered that popular keeping and breeding is relatively new in Australia. On top of that, the quantities bred are small in comparison to say Balls/Royals, Corns, Milks etc overseas so statistically it takes longer for odd things to turn up. Compared to the 200-300 morphs of BP's out there Carpets and other Aussie pythons are limited - but that is at present. I expect in future we will see a lot more coming out in Australia, so the bad news is that compared to overseas there is not much. The good news though is it is still early days for Australian keepers/breeders.

Personally I would be watching Carpets and maybe in future Scrubs if they become more mainstream. Look at some of the Retic morphs in Europe. If someone in Australia has a long term plan (15 years say - 5 Generations)and a bit of knowledge behind them I think they could come out with some seriously cool looking pythons. If anything BP's are old news, a bit like Corns, but the place to be and watch in future will be Oz.

(A little disclaimer, on the whole I prefer wild types, but I can understand the fascination behind breeding morphs. Although some of them I think are crap, some are also gorgeous.)

Thanks for the input snotty, I didnt know that we are so fresh compares to other countrys.
How do morphs get introduced such as piebalds ? Birth mutations or something more solid ?

Actually there is a piebald spotted (whether it is in captivity is another question) but there are records of them from near Townsville. There are photos of the animal in a herpetofauna from the mid 2000's

The snake ranch piebald childreni isnt really a stand out, Its a darker childrens pythin that has black blotches but still a massive step foward i guess

haha i just cant believe with all the beautiful snakes we have readily available, nothing even comes close to ball python morphs

Thanks for the input snotty, I didnt know that we are so fresh compares to other countrys.
How do morphs get introduced such as piebalds ? Birth mutations or something more solid ?

Mutations, generally exposed by inbreeding, would be noticed at hatching. If someone with an interest in morphs hatched it they could then work further with it and breed it once it reached sexual maturity; this is how you test to see if it is a workable genetic mutation (i.e. recessive, dominant, co-dominant) or if it is something a bit rarer (i.e. a chimera morph; the fusing of different embryos to form one, generally not considered able to be 'bred' on purpose). Generally, the term 'line breeding' is used; breeding an animal parent x offspring or sibling x sibling to attempt to 'fix' a mutation in a line - if you breed an animal with an unknown trait to another line (not related) it is really difficult to identify the mode of inheritance.

Wow i never knew that flav, So its not as simple as producing a mutation because it wont be workable ? Its one thing to produce a generic mutation but to fix it into a line is a whole other story ?
Where would i be without AP forums ha

Absolutely; if it's a chimeric morph (the leucistic jag comes to mind) it isn't likely heritable. Something like albinism can be proven in a few generations, i.e. if I hatch an albino and grow it to maturity then breed it back to one of its parents and get a few albinos I have (probably) proven that the parent is a het. An unproven morph or het is either something interesting that randomly cropped up in a clutch or something that isn't old enough to breed and check if it is heterozygous for a particular trait.

Wow thanks alot for the info, does it look promising that we will see a sustainable mutation that can be fixed into a line any time soon ?

every unique morph will come with a hefty pricetag, i remember the unusual paradox darwins going for 20k before.

There are a few stable morphs (simple recessive, co-dominant); albino, jag, hypomelanism (in beardies), etc. There are a few people in Australia that are working with carpets in particular (Solar17 with his hypo bredli line, Larks with the axanthics, etc). A really good book on carpet python morphs in particular is "The Complete Carpet Python" by Justin Julander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back