Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the lack of fatal bites is because of their placid nature, reluctancy to bite and the fact that they will often only dry bite with out injecting venom.

I think you need to have a bit more to do with red-bellies before you make that call.

I see it as a similar thing to electricity. It can kill you. But with a basic understanding and correct handling procedures the risks are dramatically reduced.
Are we crazy for having 240v AC in our houses where a kid could stick something in a socket and die?

Coming from the words of late Graeme Gow, A decent bite from a red bellied may not kill you but you will feel so bloody sick you will wish that you did die.

I think you need to have a bit more to do with red-bellies before you make that call.

I wouldn't say i'm making a call about all red bellies, obviously it comes down to the snake and all snakes have the potential to bite. Im just suggesting reasons other than their venom isn't very dangerous, because i don't believe that is true. In my experience and from talking to others who have a lot more experience than most people, Red Bellies do have a much calmer nature and usually prefer to escape the situation rather than stay and fight.

It's hard to argue with the fact that porphyriacus are no where near the top 20 most toxic snakes in the world

The majority of vens prefer to escape the situation which is why there are remarkably few bites from them and where there are bites it's usually an accident made by the human or an act of stupidity.
yes many people say that red bellies are quite a calm snake however I don't know a huge amount about vens but there are a few people with aggressive red bellies.

They are 21 on the LD50 scale.

Really.... which injection site, which study, what were the controls???....or are you copying the error of many and taking a list that was generated with 3 exotic snakes as Controls and applying that to all the worlds snakes.....let me guess Broad and Sutherland 1979.

This tested the LD50 values of 20 Australian "species" and had 3 exotics (Naja naja, Ophiophagus hannah and Crotalus adamanteus) as controls. This did not test literally hundreds of other species so to say its a list of the most toxic is crap.

BTW, the Ld 50 is not a scale its a result name. It is a figure reached by what amount of a substance is needed to kill 50 % of the test subjects. The lists are full or error and in all seriousness of little value. Toxins that have evolved in venom are designed to kill a prey item or defend against an enemy. Mice are similar to people as we are both mammals and we use this as an indicator of how toxic it may be to Humans. Obviously venom designed to kill rodents eg Oxyuranus is going to have a low Ld50 when tested on mice, while venom designed to kill lizards eg Demansia may not appear as potent. Change the Ld50 subject and change the result.

Cheers,
Scott

Really.... which injection site, which study, what were the controls???....or are you copying the error of many and taking a list that was generated with 3 exotic snakes as Controls and applying that to all the worlds snakes.....let me guess Broad and Sutherland 1979.

This tested the LD50 values of 20 Australian "species" and had 3 exotics (Naja naja, Ophiophagus hannah and Crotalus adamanteus) as controls. This did not test literally hundreds of other species so to say its a list of the most toxic is crap.

BTW, the Ld 50 is not a scale its a result name. It is a figure reached by what amount of a substance is needed to kill 50 % of the test subjects. The lists are full or error and in all seriousness of little value. Toxins that have evolved in venom are designed to kill a prey item or defend against an enemy. Mice are similar to people as we are both mammals and we use this as an indicator of how toxic it may be to Humans. Obviously venom designed to kill rodents eg Oxyuranus is going to have a low Ld50 when tested on mice, while venom designed to kill lizards eg Demansia may not appear as potent. Change the Ld50 subject and change the result.

Cheers,
Scott

What is a better scale to use? I only use the information i have at hand, if there is a better source, i am more than happy to use it. Thanks

There are quite a few lower rated LD50 snakes I'd hate to cop a whack off. Rattlesnakes aren't high on the scale, but jeez you should see the horrific damage they can do to skin and muscle tissue ;) Still, they'd make a cool pet :D

What is a better scale to use? I only use the information i have at hand, if there is a better source, i am more than happy to use it. Thanks

Why do you need to use a scale at all? The "i'm more toxic than you" urinating match is getting old. Unless your a toxicologist than I don't see the fascination and if you were toxicologist you would understand the flaws of the claim.

I don't "need" to use a scale, I just enjoy researching the animals that I love and the more knowledge I have about these animals the better.

Don't underestimate a red belly. On a hot day when they are at their optimum body temp and either hunting or travelling, they can be a fast snake and turn on you and strike quite quickly. True when they are cold they aren't to bad and may only head butt you, but until you have it in your hand, how cold is it? Most relocations of red bellies are cold snakes.

Catching wild ones in the bush is different, they are usually on the go or sunning.
I can imagine people reading these "very calm and don't usually envenomate" bits then thinking, "i'll have a go at that one"!!

Just take photos! Like this. I have no interest in catching wild snakes unless I have to. Why disturb them?

Attachments

• 06082010746.jpg
    06082010746.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Ones preference for a species is subjective. Been keeping since the early 60's, had many species across the board with the exclusion of crocs.
Enjoyed them all at the time. Personal favourites, blue bellys, paleheads, V acanthurus, marbled geckos and so on and on.
nowadays it's the smaller pythons simply because I enjoy keeping them.

I would love to own a RBB but I'm under 18 and I think the laws in Victoria are pretty strict about venomous snake and if you handle often would it be just like a python?

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to own a RBB but I'm under 18 and I think the laws in Victoria are pretty strict about venomous snake and if you handle often would it be just like a python?

- - - Updated - - -

Haha no mate, it will always be an Elapid unless you know of any venomous pythons. :) Great snakes the RBB but experience in venomous snakes is essential if you want to own one because as calm and placid as some RRB's can become in captivity it is a venomous snake and should be treated as such. Unlike a python which carries no threat to your health if bitten the same cant be said about Elapids no matter how tame you may think it is

Last edited:
I was just inquiring but I think venomous snakes are not for me I like pythons heads better anyway

Only Venomous ive got is a night tiger ... and its not for the venom .. its more for the look of them .... probably one of the coolest looking aussie colubs Id have to say ... but having said that ... i usually handle her 2-3 times a week ....
I know this doesnt compare to an adder ... or brown ... but I wanted to be a voice too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back