Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
exactly!
its only one word you need to learn for each species, its really not that hard.
once you understand the genus and all that it becomes a piece of cake and its so simple! use AROD as james pointed out and just buy any field guide and read through it

Does the use of Latin names depend on the audience though, I can imagine that to a new helper, it can be a bit daunting?

Does the use of Latin names depend on the audience though, I can imagine that to a new helper, it can be a bit daunting?

I think it encourages people to learn, if people actually have the drive to learn about these animals that they claim to love so much then they will make the effort to learn everything about them that they can... including the scientific names of the species that they are interested in.

no not at all in my opinion.
i wish i learnt the latin names first! it would be much easier and so much more less confusing.
i just had someone messaging me before confused about why little whip snakes and yellow faced whip snakes are not in the same genus because they both have 'whip snake' in their common name.
if you really have an interest in reptiles the latin names become as easy as keeping levis!

Depends if your having a chat or trying to educate....

Father in law:

"What kind of a python is that"

"its a jungle python"

Newby herper interested in getting a snake:

"What kind of a python is that"

"its a jungle python - Morelia spilota cheynei"

I agree that scientific names stick, and as others have stated, they're more definitive (particularly concerning botany). Whatever works for you

Last edited:
I understand what you mean apprenticegnome
I think it largely depends who you are talking to and the environment
I probably wouldn't start busting out scientific names to those who are just starting out
I definitely don't say Pogona Vitticeps to my partner when I'm talking about my "Beardy"
But a place like this forum, I don't think you can ever "overuse" it because of the reasons already mentioned by the members

I love looking at stars, that doesn't mean I want to know everything about them and what they are called in Russia.

Each to their own, I want to learn about reptiles so I google the Latin names I don't yet know. Another person may feel that there is no need to and would prefer to put their time to use in another area. I don't think it's a big deal either way, there are more important issues that can be argued in the world.

Background Information
The use of only common names has several problems associated with it.

- A given species may have more than one common name, which varies according to where you live…
e.g. Shingleback (east coast), Bogeye or Boggi (areas of NSW, especially the ranges and western slopes), Sleepy Lizard or Pine Cone Lizard (common in SA), Stumpy Lizard or Stumpy (parts of Vic, SA and WA), Bobtail or Bobbie or Bobby (most of WA), Two-head Lizard (odd places). It is also known as a Deaf Adder in some places.

- More than one species may have the same common name…
e.g. Brown Snake can refer to around 9 members of the genus Pseudonaja and 1 member of the genus Pseudechis. To be fair, herpers differentiate between the different browns, usually by adding another term in, such as Common, Western, Northern, Speckled, Ringed, King etc. Any brown coloured snake is likely to be identified by local residents who are not versed in identification as a “Brown Snake”. Any banded snake is often called by locals a "Tiger Snake” etc.

- A common name used in one region may be more applicable to another animal in another region…
e.g. The common name “Pygmy Bearded Dragon” is used for Pogona henrylawsoni in the eastern states. Yet Pogona minor in Western Australia is a significantly smaller animal. So a West Aussie might justifiably think that their local bearded was being referred to by the name “Pyg.

- Different texts and field guides differ in the common names they give to specific species.

Scientific Names
The use of scientific names overcomes the above problems as each type of animal has ONE and only one scientific name.

Scientific names consist of two parts – the first part is the genus to which the organism belongs; and the second part is the species name for that organism. Where a species has been further grouped into subspecies, the subspecies name may be added after the species name. So where any scientific name contains three names, the last name refers to a subspecies group of that species.

Scientific names are made using mostly Latin root words. The reason is that Latin used to be the language of scholars as it allowed them to read the works of and communicate with other scholars from all different countries and speaking different languages. This was still pretty much the case when the system of naming organism by their genus and species (binomial nomenclature) was introduced by Linneaus. So by learning the meanings of some of the Latin roots, you can understand why an organism has given its particular scientific name.

Not all words in scientific name come from Latin. For example, for the Pygmy Bearded Dragon mentioned above, Pogona derives from “pogon” meaning beard but “henrylawsoni” derives from an Australian historical writer. So referring to scientific names as Latin names is incorrect.

AROD is great for scientific names because it shows both the pronunciation and how the word was derived (etymology). Anyone serious about developing their skills and understanding of any group of living things, be it reptiles, fish, plants, sea shells or whatever, will need to become familiar with scientific names.

Scientific names are a foreign language when you first come across them. Understanding that the first word is the GENUS and the second is the particular SPECIES helps a lot. But that alone does not bridge the initial gap. So what needs to happen is for people to use both the most generally accepted common name AND the scientific name. It may be seen as a pain in the butt by many, but one needs to appreciate that by using both it is being as to the animal and at the same time helping the reader to learn correct scientific names.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I teach my 5 year old the scientific names. If she can get it I'm sure most can. I think it's a good way of knowing exactly what species people are talking about.

some nice field guides to australian reptiles are out those are the names i use
most of em are probably out of date by now but i don't have 20 hours a day to keep up with revisions like others i actually go outside!

90% PLUS HAVE COMMON NAMES ITS JUST A LOT OF FIVE MINUTE HERPERS TRYING TO LOOK TECHINICAL (IMO) ......solar 17

You don't tend to say stupid things too often but you've done quite well this time. Real herpers use scientific names, common names are a waste of time. As a side note, people who keep reptiles are not herpers, people who get out of their comfy chair and observe them in the wild are.

Wow, some very condescending attitudes in this thread. As a biology student it is kind of mandatory to know latin terminology and technical jargon and somewhat crucial in an id thread at times but come on, someone posts a picture of their new 'blah blah' and there always has to be one that says nice 'blah blahii', just comes of as pretentious. Sorry if that offends any 'real herpers'

As a side note, people who keep reptiles are not herpers, people who get out of their comfy chair and observe them in the wild are.

About time that someone pointed this out! Reptile KEEPERS are not herpers, and the majority don't even know of a world outside of a melamine box.

Stop expecting to be spoon fed. Use a book, google coupled with a brain.

I'll and anyone else who actually spend times in the field and likes learning about reptiles will post how we want to.

Learning scientific names will help you understand some basic characteristics of said species and sometimes where their common name come from.

"Carlia sexdentata" literally translates to six toothed and guess what its common name is, Six Toothed Rainbow Skink.

Skinks already touched on the international and interstate level. Different species have similar common names. The easiest example would be Blue Tongues. The species differ from state to state but colloquially, people just call them Blue Tongues.

The main point is that Scientific names are direct and won't change from place to place.

When it comes to smaller reptiles it becomes much more simple to use the scientific name.
99% of people will have no idea what a Top End Fire Tailed Skink is. If I say Morethia storri, it's a different story. Even if you only knew the genus you would have a better understanding. If not, Google would give you a direct answer straight away.

90% PLUS HAVE COMMON NAMES ITS JUST A LOT OF FIVE MINUTE HERPERS TRYING TO LOOK TECHINICAL (IMO) ......solar 17

Injecting rodents with water and injecting incubators with medical grade oxygen isn't being overly technical and unnecessary?

HERPERS GO OUTSIDE OF A MELAMINE BOX.

............[Demansiaphile]

Last edited:
I use scientific names all day everyday, it's a part of the job I do. Often I return home and say scientific names without evening realising I am doing it, it takes me longer to stop and think of the common name when someone gives me a blank look because they aren't second nature to me anymore. Even to the point if I say Lerista punctatovittata and I receive a blank look I struggle to come up with anything other then 'skink........that burrows'

Skinks, demansiaphile and echiopsis all raise really great points, despite the common perception of the term 'herper' or even 'herpetologist' it isn't your average joe or joanne who sits at home stroking their Anteresia in front of the computer all day. Everyone should try to get out into the field, see what you can find and have a poke around to try a bit of amateur herping. You never know you might learn something.

Also as a side note, I hate having useless information stored in my head, when am I ever going to need ophisthodon or even ornatus anymore?? 5 years ago my world was safe and secure then bam Bam two hits by taxonomists on ornate burrowing frogs :lol: that'd be my biggest gripe with herpers, always changing things just to confuse me haha

I've stumbled in my pronounciation of scientific names throughout my life. I've certainly don't do it to impress nor have I been made to feel an idiot when I've been corrected. But they are necessary in herpetology to be clear about what you are talking about. A common name is fine for a bird as they have been standardised and subspecies are not so prevalent. Herps on the other hand are far more complex. these scientific names can in themselves create "better" names like ackie and brevie.

l am sure glad some of you people aren't fish because you bite really well :) solar 17 (Baden)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back