Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sander

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i would like to start soon with a python
i am sorting my licence out now
can someone please give me some pointers ?
like # what kind of snake is the best to start with ?
i have read that childrens pythons are pretty good but havent seen any pics with nice markings on them. are there any with nice markings ?
# whats a good size vivarium for them ? im planning to have one made by a friend who does woodwork. the size is 1300 mm high x 1500mm long x 600 mm wide is that too big ? what is good wood to use ?

thanx :D
sander

i would reccomend a blonde small blotched python (antaresia maculosus) that will set you back about $150-$200. as for the cage, your size is far too big, they are mainly ground dwelling snakes so groundspace is most important i would reccomend a cage for 1 or 2 at 700mm longx 500mm widex 500mm high. you could probably have slightly bigger but thats what i keep mine in. melamine wood is easy to clean but if gets wet tends to swell. i think that plywood or mdf coated with a layer or two of estapol makes a good cage.
hope this helps.
Keeth

Hi Sander and welcome to APS and the amazing world of herps!

The Childrens Python, Spotted Python, or Stimsons Pythons are all relatively easy to care for, have generally good temperaments, and remain a very managable size, they would be 1m 50cm at a maximum.

All the carpets, and the diamonds are also pretty easy to care for, generally have good tempraments, and get a little bigger if that's what you are looking for, a big Coastal Carpet may be 3m.

Maybe read up on these species, and decide what species you like, and what you could accomodate, and this may get you on your way. All the questions of what size enclosure etc will all fit into place once you chose a species. You'd make a coastal happy with the dimensions you described above though.

Before I got my first snake only a couple of years ago, I gave John Weigels book "Care of Australian Reptile in Captivity" a good read and found that very helpful. It is a great book to start with..

A word of warning though, keeping reptiles is incredibly addictive and owning only one reptile is near impossible :)

Hope that helps a little, I'm sure the more experienced members will jump in with lots of better advice to get you on your way to reptile keeping soon!

PS. The book is readily available at the larger chains and some pet shops and will only set you back $20-$25, well worth it.

john weigels book that nicole recomended is very very helpful. it has all your captive requirments and is truly helpful.
if your going to build a cage that big why not go for a larger snake?
you could go for a carpet python or diamond... which should set you back around $150 for the carpet and $350-$400 for a diamond and grow to a max of three meters.
or you could go for a water python, very nice snake imo and have a nice nature. IMO these snakes are underrated. a water python should max out at about 3m but unlikley to get that big. these go for about $100-$150 a hatchling
if u want a larger snake you could go for the olive python, but in my opinion these arn't a very good 'first' snake. they go for around $400 a hatchling.
or like u have said u can go for the childrens python, but i think if your going for looks get a blonde maculosus as these are very nice looking snakes...
hope this helps and goodluck

I too second Nicoles advice about John Weigels book "Care of Australian Reptile in Captivity". Also read though the archived forums on this site. Her comment "owning only one reptile is near impossible" has rung true for me, I'm getting another two snakes next week :)

I also agree with Morelia_mans comments about water pythons (note that you will get between 30 and 300 opinions on best first snake), mine are great, the rainbow shine after a shed is amazing, exspecaily in the sun. I got mine as yearlings and they had not been handled much so were nervous, but they have settled down and are as placid as anything (except at feeding time when they will protect thier "catch" and just before a shed when they can't see properly).

But remember that every snake is an individual, some will put up with anything while others are less forgiving.

childrens pythons need branches my childreni and stimpsoni are wonderfull snakes there never out of there branch either so they like height and also coastals are good i have one of them there really placid and if ya get a hatchling it will be a while untill its big and diamonds are good too but they like to hiss and the other day when i was wearing my hat i walked into its outside cage and it bit my hat it was pretty scary cause its 2 meters long ill say get a stimson or a coastal or if ya got a bit more money an a diamond

I have water pythons, i bought two as yearlings, one is closer to a subadult thought and 2 hatchlings. 3 of the 4 are generally pretty good handlers (one bites at everything as soon as it smells a rat) but the biggest one strikes whenever I open a cage but she is settling down pretty quickly. I would go for a Centralian Python if I were you. avg. is about 350 and they normally grow a little bit bigger then 2m but a lot are over 2.5m. They generally have great temperments and beautiful markings. IMO you cannot find a better snake to keep for under 800 (cheap BHP)
Cheers

I started out with wanting one... now I have 3 coming my way :) I'm getting a caramel childreni, a diamond and a bredli (centralian)... :) I cant wait!! Yeah, get John weigels book cause when you decide you want another herp (bet ya 50 bucks you will) you can read up on that to!!! :)

hi everyone
thanx for all your replies :D

ive got a bit more to think about now
i will defenatly get the book of john weigel that yous all recommended

i would like to have a "bigger" snake but i also have a little boy (18 months old ) and i wouldnt want such a small boy around such a big snake they are not like a pussy cat.. but then again he wont be playing with it anyway :)

thanx again
sander

go the coastal very placid (i love mine and he loves me :D )and can get very larg but with time your son will be able to grow up with it and by the time it is a monster your lil boy will be about 22 years old...

I like spotted pythons. I got a pair just for breeders, and I have actually started to really like them as a species. They are very easy to care for and (over here at least) really inexpensive. Mine are only a few months old and are in small rubbermade containers. They feel very secure and eat great and have perfect sheds. They will need to be moved to new homes very soon, but like with most reptiles I find simple is better.

" Pythons, A complete pet owners manual" by Patricia Bartlett & Ernie Wagner is well worth a read, is American which is unfortunate, but I have found it to have good advice and some great photos 8)

i wouldnt worry about your son to much ,we have a 20mth old daughter and she is very gentle with snakes most of the time and she is very helpfull with them

Hi sander and welcome to APS. When I first joined up I asked the same question as you. I took on the advice of people here and I now own a stimsons python. Average size is between 84-88cm but as Nicole said they can get upto 1.5m. My stimsoni is a male and has the most amamzing temprament. He will make himself comfortable on my stomach/chest while i read a book or watch TV and be content.

Since you are in NSW you will have a large variety of snakes to choose from, however I suggest you talk to breeders in your area and go "meet" your potential pet because every snake is different and you'll want to find one that feel comfortable with.

Good luck. And I bet that you will be buying more snakes for yourself and your little boy soon enough.

Amy

Coastals,Murray Darlings,diamonds and most carpets make a great first snake and pet if you want a reasonable sized python.You'll always get the odd snappy one in any species though. I'd highly recommend a Cape York carpet.They're a beautiful looking snake with a temprament you just can't beat.They have big boof heads and get to about 6ft with some getting bigger again.There's some on the HERP TRADER for $350 each.

I have some Capes from the line on the TRADER, they are so placid and are a gorgeous looking snake.

The pic is one of the parents of the Capes i have and the ones advertised on the TRADER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back