What's Humane??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about you just feed your snake frozen rats? If you can't afford to lose a rat every now and then because your snake isn't interested, you can't afford to keep snakes, simple.

I breed all my own rats and have plenty so it's not the cost and besides I have plenty of cash and time for my reptiles,so hows that for simple?I also breed chooks,mice and now rabbits so cost is no issue. I think all the bleeding hearts should release their reptiles because all of you think an 8 foot snake is happy in a 4x2x2 foot enclosure,bullocks that is so small it's not funny. Keeping reptiles like that IS inhumane,as is keeping big lizards in small tanks. These reptiles live in massive area's and cover huge distances and to deny a monitor the room to run is the most inhumane of all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keeping a fairly unactive animal in an enclosure where it has room to do what it normally does (sleep) is in now way comparable to cutting an animals teeth out. There's just no need for it, at all. Go buy a tank of CO2, make the rats go sleepies, and it's all good.

Where'd the whole monitor thing come from?

That is actually suffocation,the same is if someone held a pillow over your head or if a snake squeezed the air out of it's lungs.

Oh yeah I just went out the back and got 10 hopper rats and I am about to feed them LIVE to my childrens,without a trip to the dentist as they cause no harm at that age,or is that wrong to?

Adam, I don't think your kids would enjoy them at all (and it's spelled "children" not "childrens") :)

Simple solution for you Adam : Get an Olive! They're the greediest snake there is! I only have 4 snakes, and there have been times when all three of the others have refused food..... but not the olive.... so he gets all three! :) In fact, I usually don't thaw a larger rat for the olive until after I've fed the others, for that reason.
You could also try only thawing out enough for half your collection at a time. So it takes a little longer.... it cuts down on the waste.

... just a few thoughts....

my mum is a dentist she could probly get you some better tools for removing the rats teeth adam.(true)
do they scerm much when you cut the teeth off? 8)

cool link dose the same apply for the f***in rooster that lives next door i need an indiscreet and humane way to stop it from f***in crowing @ 4:30 every dam bloody morning :shock:
and i have already thought of buying a silencer :twisted:

I am not bleeding h. and extreemist in any way. Just for seek of my snakes, I would prefer to feed frozen. Reason for it is that rat trapped in small area with out chance to escape will attack the snake. In wild they can run a way to save them selfs and they are not agresive to snakes.
Once snake hahe attacked rat in wild, it is moment of surprice and situation benefit the snake. But they anyway get some scars by hunting. In enclosure things are bit different, Space to small and if first strike is unseccesfull, watch for your snake as rat will get advantage to snake. In wild if strike is unseccesfull, rat will take off.

Adam if you're whacking the Rats and it's not killing them first go you're doing it all wrong. I've killed hundreds with a high success rate. A few of us have experimented with chloroform too with a lot of success.
Even if it doesn't kill them outright surely it stuns them enough to be fed to the snake without the removal of the teeth.

Cruelty is curtainly not nessary when feeding reptile, its makes me sick to read such crap, I dont beleave there is a right way to kill anything but you have chosen to keep snakes, well havent you?...in order to keep your snake alive you must feed it other animals....unfortunately....I have to by mine already dead because I cant do it myself...the peaple that I buy from asure me that the died with out pain or suffering, and that sets my mind at easy...and sorry Adam but speacking of your dentistry work your bound to get a real mouth full from other people....I feed my snake dead prey for two reasons 1) live aniamls can be aggressive and hurt your reptiles and 2) Its illegal to feed live prey to your animal. Adam you talked about you want it to be natural thats fine but your snake is still in captivity, sorry its never going to be natural. Adam I like you but I have learnt if your not prepared to hear others views dont ask them, because there are some quiet diffent opions on this site.

Hang on a second, if he is "clipping" the rat's teeth, it is a humane practice, I have seen it done on many rabbits at the vet surgery including my own (who had misaligned teeth). He didn't seem too phased by it either!
However, its one of those things that has to be done properly by someone who knows what they are doing, otherwise it can all go horribly wrong.

As for your rooster friend luke, try feeding it some grain/seed dusted in panadol (crushed).

Sweet it's all good. Thanx lutsd,that was helpfull. I do own Olives but they are only 1 year old and won't be able to take a big rat.While there are some good suggestions in there,I think I'll stick to what I know. If you decide not to like me,well so be it.The rat does not squeel or bleed so I know I am not hurting it(I have paid a vet to do the same thing to a rabbit that had teeth problems).There is no reason to attack,that is why people are too scared to post here,I know this because quite a few people PM me to say good on ya,but they won't reply on the post cause they don't want the abuse.I love my snakes and that's all there is to it,I don't however love rats or mice.

I didn't even get to read any replies on my own post because some people can't control themselves.Did you know that when you freeze a rodent the cells in the blood explode and crystalize which causes loss in protien held in the rodents body,so the frozen isn't all it's cracked up to be.Don't believe me then go and do some RESEARCH as I have done before opening my mouth to voice an opinion that is only what you believe,not what is actually true.

Thank you pinkie,I have seen my rabbit done many times at $40 a go,so I know what I am doing and I don't cut them back to far either. Thank you for having the guts to stand in.

I like CO2. I only feed live the my hots. As I've said before, I do this because of the possiblity the venom aids in digestion. Most of the time however, on the rare occasion I have to kill a rodent, I grab them by the tail and quickly introduce them to the floor. Quick and 100% effective. For the record I take no pleasure in doing this. I hate it actually. I always feel bad, but it is for the best that most of my snakes take dead only. Plus I don't imagine being killed by constriction would be on top of my list of ways to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back