What's Humane??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i got something to confess,i know that i feed my lizard crickets but thats the way of life,anyways i was in the shower and a cricket was in there so i pushed the cricket down the drain.I feel really slack. :cry:

lol PHEW i was hoping you would take that well! :D

Nah your sweet. Maybe I got a little pooy, but my pet hate is when someone tells me what I van and cannot afford to do especially when that person doesn't know me. Oh well it was certainly a hot topic,that's for sure. 8)

Sxereturn post
Slatey - Yes, I know it is your forum, but it wouldn't be a forum without members. Both good and bad topics need to be discussed, you can't just have all the happy cheery stuff...arguments happen everywhere, and I think you get discussions where people have two opposing opinions, and arguments mixed up.

Sxereturn thank you for tip. We do have such a large number of members here just because careful moderating and keeping our discussion in order, That is why you are here your self.
I do not thing that promoting illegal way to feed animals and giving newbies ideas about it will be any benefit for this site.
Thanks but we will continue to run this site as we do right now and I can assure you, people still will find many subjects to argue about LOL.
I know that you meant well, but we are here long time as moderators and do have lot of experience to see topic which can turn to bad fight with no benefit to anybody. What would happen on the end, people get upset with somebody who disagree about issue as this one and we have bad inviroment and bad blood between them for long time or for ewer. We trying tor to calm it down before it start that way.

VERY, VERY AWESOME READING! WHERE CAN I GET Co2 FROM???

P.S ......THIS FORUM WAS GREAT!

1) IT HAD LOTS OF ACTION
2) GOOD DEPTH OF STORY LINE/ IMFORMATIVE
3) I'M INTERESTED IN OTHER MORE HUMANE METHODS OF PUTTING DOWN RATS/ MICE etc.

Adam said:
Do you waste many rodent as once they are frozen they cannot be refrozen? I am also sick of throwing out half the rodents I defrost as some of my snakes will only go off the movement of the prey.

I don't have this problem besides owning just the one snake he's a major pig also! Always looking for more after dinner :D (just a thought...I'm not starving him am i? He is just greedy? I feed him one large mouse, leaves a bulge and everything, once a fortnight)

As for the movement thing...I use feeding tongs and wiggle the (thawed) mousie around for him. He strikes pretty much straight away.

It does not sound like you are starving him Ella. Some snakes are just good eaters. It helps if good feeding methods have been used from the time the snake first began eating.

VERY, VERY AWESOME READING! WHERE CAN I GET Co2 FROM???

Dry-ice is the best thing to use. Just be careful with it. Not sure where you can find it in Australia though.

It's usually safe to refreeze rodents once. I usually do but not anymore than once.

For a cheap and humane way of killing rodents just buy a soda stream (soft drink maker). Run a tube from the soda stream to a holding container where you place the rodents you want to put to sleep. Simple and effective gassing.

We talking about food here I know. I am breeding heaps of them and killing them as best i can.
But some times is so hard to do this. David came to my place once and he give me 3 rats because he decided to stop his breading program as they was to smelly.
One of his rat was male, and looks like he played with him a lot. This fella rat was so friendly and smart that I started to love him. He was so exited when I opened box and he was making happy noises, crawling all over me and we had something going for the while.
In short time I find that he have tumor and I had to kill it. Not easy task. Rat was looking at me and I had problem to wag him. I told him several times , mate please turn around, but he just looked at me with his loyal friendly look hoping for scratch. On the end I send him to Antarctica for expedition. He died in my freezer by freezing to death poor guy.
Before that David give me this rat, I had impression that I hate rodents, but I definitely changed my mind after that.

You DO get attached to rats etc Slatey, I had just finished telling my missus that I could never top G.T. , our first male breeder when I went in to say hello to him and found him dead. A sad day indeed and my missus even shed a tear :(

Yeah I have my male named G.T and his missus is G.T.S,also have a massive stud called Scruffy Jnr.You can buy dry ice from C.I.G centers(also good for plant life so I've been told).

does anyone cut out the guts of the rodents before they freeze them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back