Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey all, i've had some mixed feedback as to wether or not i'm a fool for handling elapids without propper training.

please add own personal experiences.

Anybody that handles vens without any experience is asking to be bitten IMO. If you want to handle vens, then get somebody that has experience in handling them to show you the ropes. Learn from others, there is no need to be a hero these days. There are plenty of ppl on here that would help you I am sure.

Just remember, without the proper equipment with you went out herping, all it takes is a bite from one of our nasties to give you a near death experience and that is if they don't kill you. Don't take them for ganted. JMO

I am yet to handle a taipan, but can tell you eastern browns are not something you play with.

I think the 2 options are a bit broad, i never had anyone to show me how it was done and i think i was lucky not to be bitten as a kid.
It's a risk you take, no you don't always need training but i wouldn't recommend anyone try it without some kind of training.

Plus our venemous snakes vary alot and some are easier to handle than others.

I have to agree hugsta...everytime i come across a brown snake....they make me shiver, they are the only snake i'e had a close call with...they are just so full on. :shock: :shock:
My fav would have to be red bellies and death adders, adders in particular as if they are kept at a safe distance theres no real reason you should get bitten.

RBB's, are they a good thing to practice on? i have access to many wild ones and can play with them alot for practice if needed..

Dude, even though Red Bellies are a placid snake I still wouldn't trust a wild one as they can still be unpredictable, but they would be the preferable snake to practice with. And I would definitely not play with browns without eperience.

I'd have to say the proper equipment is far more important than training.
Go try pick a brown up without a hook and you're asking for trouble.

Exactly Mags.

Liber rbbs may not be as venemous as others and also not as agro but wild snakes are wild snakes, don't think they won't bite, some can be very agro, i've found big wild rbbs to be that way.
I think good equipment and a good brain will go a long way, don't try handling something you don't feel comfortable with, as Hugsta said don't try and be a hero and don't think you will never get bitten.

? i have access to many wild ones and can play with them alot for practice if needed..
Snakes are not toys to be played with. There is no room for trial and error. If you are picking up brown snakes by yourself, with no else around if you get bitten, well it's been nice knowing you.
This reminds me about a 15yr old boy over in WA who loved his snakes. He tried handling a wild Tiger snake and it tagged him. They found his body 80 metres from where he was bitten.

RBB's, are they a good thing to practice on? i have access to many wild ones and can play with them alot for practice if needed..

First of all you need to change your attitude, black snakes may be slower, less aggressive and have far less potent venom than browns, but they can still do damage. All elapids need to be treated with respect... they're not toys.
You need to learn how to identify certain elapid species and understand their venoms and the effects that you would be likely to experience from a bite of that species. You also need to understand the correct medical procedure in the event you are bitten.
Handling venomous snakes may be easy but that certainly does'nt mean you should go in gung-ho without any knowledge.

So far everyone has offered good sound advice so lets see if I can keep up the standard.
Red bellies are a different snake to browns and they to taipans.
Being adept at handling a particular species will give you an edge, That edge is confidence and that may also be your undoing.
I had(have) so many bad habits from doing it on my own as last friday will testify.
If you can spend time with someone else it can only be a benefit.

i handled my first elapid a few months ago and have handled a few since then. i have been keeping snakes for 6 year and in no way concider my self as an experienced handler. this is why i am ashamed to say i never had any training.

just remember one bite from a rbb may not kill you but the more you are exposed to anti venom the greater risk you are at of have a allergic reaction!!!

Mate, you are nuts to be going out and handling wild elapids without anyone with you? JMO. I would love to give this ago and believe me, there are so many tigers and browns around here, I am guaranteed to find as many as I want - but in saying this I would never go and catch one. You need to be with someone, have some sort of first aid knowledge (and equipment with you) and know how to apply a torniquet. JMO Just be careful and if you don't make it, nice knowing you and can I have first dibs on your currrent reptile collection??? :wink: :lol:

You need to be with someone, have some sort of first aid knowledge (and equipment with you) and know how to apply a torniquet

I hope that's a joke.

As I said JMO. I have never handled elapids and have no knowledge on them. If Liberated is a few kms away from home and is bitten, what do you suggest he does then?? Not being sarcastic, I am seriously interested. I can only go by what I have read in books, the web etc... :)

and know how to apply a torniquet.

This has to be one of the worst bits of advice i've heard in ages!!

I agree with saying that you should at least know basic first aid and have an understanding of venom properties.

Recently I was bitten by a swamp snake and I must say that this has taught me one thing. Don't underestimate any elapid, no matter how small or inoffensive it may appear.

Another thing that is important to remember is that snakes can have massive mood swings. Never loose your concentraction when dealing with elapids.

Alex

What would you suggest other than a tourniquet these days?? That used to be standard information when I was younger... Thats how long ago it has been since I have read about elapids and snake bites....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back