Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexhander,

what was the effect of the swamp snake bite ? I used to catch these as a kid..those and golden crowned snakes. I never was bitten and was always careful but thought there venom was pretty mild. Always wondered what effect the bite would have.

cheers

Rapid breathing and heartrate, nausea, dizziness, numbness/tingling in the fingers and around the lips - hyperventilation? anaphylaxis? envenomation? a combination of 2 or all 3? Do you want to whip out the epipen and give yourself a big dose of adrenaline every 30 mins just in case?

Will you be coherent enough to make these desicions, do you know the proper procedures that need to be followed at the hospital (are they equipped) before that compression bandage is removed? How about a mate that can drop everything an get to the hospital and ensure your treatment is correct if you're unconcious?
A lot more to it than a jigger and bag, this is what will utimately save your life.

Bingo! Yes it is a King Cobra. This photo was taken at Jurong Reptile Park in Singapore where I worked for 2 years in the late nineties.

Adrian Hogg

IMO it can depend on the person. I think that if someone has had years of experience with say pythons, and had to deal with aggressive snakes in that range, then the adaption to vens should be something that can be self taught.........

as for voting i was thinking 50/50 so i got my cat to vote :)

snake empathy. If you don't have a good idea how a particular snake will react in a particular situation then snake handling is not for you.
Also if you tend to get things wrong the first couple of times then skydiving is not for you.

Also if you tend to get things wrong the first couple of times then skydiving is not for you.

Argh!!! You said the S word!!! :shock: (well, one of them, others include SCUBA, snake and snog :) )
*Sdaji excitement inducing words!!! :shock: *
Who wants to come skydiving on Saturday morning? The drop zone is near the BBQ!!! (Tooradin) You can watch me jump out and then jump out after me, then we can land and go to the meet!!! Huh huh? Any takers? :)

This is the story that I was reminded of. I think it is very relevant to this thread.

" A snake-lover's tragic mistake

Most people hate or fear snakes. Fourteen year old Tony Pattison loved them and felt entirely comfortable in their presence. He even kept a non-venemous carpet python as a pet.
Nicknamed "Snakeman" by his school friends, the Western Australian boy had been on field trips with herpetologists and done some work experience at a reptile centre. A passion for snakes ran in the family too-his father was a member of a volunteer group licensed by the government to collect snakes from bushland.
A school assignment goes wrong
Perhaps Tony's self-assurance led him to be complacent that November day in 1998 as he followed a black tiger snake through a paddock, videotaping the reptile for a school assignment. He certainly felt confident enough to try and pick up the tiger. But as he bent down to do so, it attacked him, biting the teenager's left hand twice. The venom acted with frightening speed and despite medical help, Tony died in Royal Perth Hospital just 36 hours later.
His work-experience boss, a long-time snake handler, commented: "It doesn't matter how experienced you are, you only have to make one mistake with a snake. You deal with Tiger snakes in a very respectful way and don't take any chances because thay're a lot quicker than you are."

Adrian, my mistake.

Props on the handling skills... i saw a king cobra up close and personal in Thailand last year magnificent animals.

Try that with a Bamboo Viper... i'll be really impressed:)

Nez

I know what you mean. I kept bamboo vipers and I too would be impressed if someone were to handle those nasty blighters in that way.

Hard subject this one, In my opinion all you need is common sense and don't handle venomous snakes for the thrill. Handle them because of your profession or your genuine interest in their biology and captive reproduction. Just remember that most people that get bitten are people with years of experience and often they loose the sense of danger or get too comfortable with the snakes. Another one is showing off to mates/family they make it look like it is all easy. Drunk people have been bitten while at parties showing off their "tame" red belly black snake. You can teach your self but investigate the biology of venomous snakes and make sure you are comfortable with handling non venemous snakes. Ask experienced snake keepers for lessons in snake handling or attend some courses. But my main lesson would be .........Common sense.........and be aware ...they are venemous

thats a hard one....all reptiles should be handled correctly firstly, but specially vems should extra care be taken, I am not for or against free handling vems, its up to the individual to make that choice, even when handling with safe methods (with snake hooks etc) keepers sometime still recieve bites. Keeping vens is always a risk and before you dive into keeping them, think very carefully about the dangers. Also if you wish to keep vems, its wise to put in place emergancy policies, educate peolpe you live with what they should know about snake bite (first aid) who they should call etc etc, you may not get much time after the bite. I love vems as with all reptiles but extra care must be taken.

PilbaraPythons said:
I know what you mean. I kept bamboo vipers and I too would be impressed if someone were to handle those nasty blighters in that way.

Adrian...did you live in Brisbane some time ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back