Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 284368Im going out on a limb and say Blackheaded python..Why bother with carpets...On a serious note,ANY of the carpet sub-species would be fine..As already mentioned theres a few to choose from..It all comes down to what colour-size and price tag your willing to spend...

Ha ha ha...I got it!.... "I'm going out on a limb here"... ..pun intended???.....
as far as a suitable animal goes, if you are keeping lizards in the same enclosure, be prepared for possible losses. Even Diamonds and Carpets will consume the occasional lizard....and I agree that a Diamond would not be the first choice.
A carpet would be less demanding (and a helluva lot cheaper) more disease resistant and tick all the right boxes.....but will still eat lizards possibly. (assuming they will be in the same enclosure).

How can you say Diamonds aren't for beginners? They are easy, op wants something that will climb, they tick that box and the are v
Renowned for being great handlers.

What is your definition of easy? Any snake is "easy" to keep until something goes wrong. With most Morelias, there are a few common things that can go wrong, but most are easily prevented or fixed. If you don't keep a diamond properly, you may have done a lot of damage before symptoms even start appearing. Once symptoms of DPS start showing, it's too late and theres nothing you can do.

The best way to avoid problems is to know and understand the animals requirements and watch the snake to see if it is stressed. A begginer wont know these signs of stress, wont know there is a problem and so won't make any changes, which is cruel to the animal.

This is why i say that Diamonds are not for beginners. You're more than welcome to disagree with me.

Hamish

Personally I'd go with a jungle, much less likely to keel over from overheating than a diamond..everyone makes a mistake or two at the beginning. In the end it'll come down to whatever python you like the look of most..I know paramount has some cracking jungles ATM.

i have a lovely jungle in the fir sale section :)

as said any carpet would suit your needs, it comes down to your personal preferences.

Definitely get a Diamond Python best snakes, they are so pretty always climbing and i have a hatchling and she is so good to handle, and have never been bit by her, just make sure you know when and when not to handle her they tend to go into a before hibernation feeding mode which is a good time to up the feed and not handle them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back