Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep thanks to this thread I am not worried that our male coastal spat out his fuzzy mouse tonight, I think he is about to shed as he is looking pretty dull.

The female however got seconds and wolfed it down like there was no tomorrow.

so force fed another fuzzy last night this time a rat though. Acted a pain but didnt spit it up. took ages but I threw another fuzzy in the cage - he is sitting in the tiny portable cage since I took him out to the farm. Anyway he ate it really quickly on his own. So not sure if he is just fussy and doesnt like mice or not but until I can make the second cage I will feed him seperately in the smaller cage.

good to see he is eating on his own anyway :D Trust the woman to try an starve him out ^^

Thankyou for this thread, I also just wanted to ask, I have a 60w red light with cage in the enclosure and it is summer now and with the airconditioner on alot of the time. The enclosure is in the corner of the room not near a vent. We seem to see the temp sitting at 29+ usually but it seems to take a long while to get to that temp, could this be a problem and why he may not want to eat.

i gotta confess i was one of those annoying people who posted a new thread for an age old dilema. but iv since figured out how to work this silly technology and found the help section :)
iv got an almost 4 month old spotted who up until 2 and a bit weeks ago was an excellent feeder ( according to the breeder) iv had him for just over a month now and he is supposed to be fed every 5-7 days with a mouse pinkie. he settled in really well and had his first feed a week after coming home. he was really slow in actually latching onto the pinkie and couldnt take it from the tongs he just constantly dropped it. it took him awhile but he eventually consumed 2 pinkies. offered him another feed a week later and wasnt interested at all. we thought he was shedding so left him a few days but he still hadnt shown any other signs of shedding except for slightly milky colouring.
he ended up shedding thursday just gone so we waited until he lost his blue shine and offered him food again. that was saturday and he is yet to feed. so in panic mummy mode i defrosted and warmed up a pinkie and brained it and again tried to offer him a tasty morsel. he couldnt even be bothered removing himself from the perch long enough to have a sniff the lazy sod :p
he has always been bigger then his siblings so i dont think i have much to worry about weight wise and he shed brilliantly.
being completely new to all this i never knew that they just dont eat sometimes during the colder months. i read up on them before he came home but dont remember anything about that. i was starting to stress because hes only young still and he hasnt eaten for almost 3 weeks. he has been showing slight signs of hunger ( or atleast i thought thats what they were) but he just doesnt seem like he can be bothered really.
guess ill just have to find some of that patience im sure i have lying around somewhere and wait another week before offering him something.

I have a 2 and half year old Albino Darwin always use to eat a rat every week would smash it as soon as i put it in would even eat 2 a week if i gave him more.He would even still take a rat if his was about to shed. Now his just stopped feeding and its been nearly 2 and half months and he has not taken anything. Just not sure should i be worried or get him checked just as it is coming up to winter and temps will go down and wont be feeding for another few months. Any advise would be great Thanks

Is there a point where the fat content of rats becomes too high and you're better off feeding something else? (say 2 x rats of smaller size).
My Jungle is only on small rats at the moment, but I'm a little worried about upsizing.. From what I've read, problems like fatty liver disease are more of
an issue for BHPs and Womas (as they mostly eat reptiles in the wild), but I guess my question would apply to my Woma, too..

If you are really concerned why not try mixing up the feeds, Quail/Chicken etc.
BHP's will take fish so I would imagine Woma's will too. Not sure if it would be a natural food for them in the wild but for natural reptile eaters a fish apparantly smells similar???

Does anyone have any tips on getting an (estimated) 15 month old tiger snake onto mice from eating skinks and other things in the wild?? I've tried scenting and it doesn't work, he just wants skink no matter what. Any tips on other scents and etc would be appreciated. Cheers

Have you tried quail?
Nah i haven't tried quail, how would i go about doing that? getting some from the butcher and just cut down to suit size? and is there any special part of quail that i could try or just any part of it? ive tried chicken wings, chicken breast, with no luck at all. but when put in front of my other tiger he snaps it up quicker than the flash of a light :s.. ive had no troubles before with feeding this guy just seems really picky. thanks

I'm not sure how good the pet stores are down in Tassie but here you can get day old ones. I'd assume a yearling could get one of them down pretty easy. The feathers and full animal might be a bit more enticing than just a chicken breast or wing. Good luck with it

Hey guys just a question I have a 4.5 month old albino carpet his had 3 feeds since I have brought him home. When it's feed time he tends to want it but just strikes at it a few times then will take it and hold it for 5-10 mins and let it go then soon as I pick it up and offer it again he will take it... Is it just a hatchy thing to do or? I really need help all I want is to know a trick to be able to just throw the food in his feeding tank and he will eat it straight away.

Just leave him be after he grabs it the first time. Don't wait around and watch him eat it. I have a hatchy that is quite similar and won't actually eat until I have left the vicinity and turned out the light (strangely enough it's even a het albino Darwin too). It's generally just a hatchy thing because they are so small and skittish

Hey guys just a question I have a 4.5 month old albino carpet his had 3 feeds since I have brought him home. When it's feed time he tends to want it but just strikes at it a few times then will take it and hold it for 5-10 mins and let it go then soon as I pick it up and offer it again he will take it... Is it just a hatchy thing to do or? I really need help all I want is to know a trick to be able to just throw the food in his feeding tank and he will eat it straight away.

have you tired leaving in his tank for like 30 mins? sorry you just didnt give much information...

i know my children's will not eat it unless he has checked his whole tank to make sure there is nothing else, like another mouse or another snake, he slithers all over it, then leaves it, then comes back....

maybe you are taking the food out before he has a chance to take it.

also, do you know whether he was being fed live food before? (again you didnt state =))

I have tried leaving it in his tank for 20-30 mins all he wants to do is get out lol. And he was being fed fuzzy mice I have got him on pinkie rat for the first time today. I offer him it infront of his face from my hand he strikes at it but sometimes will be a pain in the **** and just want to run away from it. I have tried brainier the mice and offering them to him but his a real pain... I don't know what to do to make him take it and eat it straight away...

Just leave it overnight and make sure it's nice and dark and warm. He should start eating "normally" eventually

Just leave him be after he grabs it the first time. Don't wait around and watch him eat it. I have a hatchy that is quite similar and won't actually eat until I have left the vicinity and turned out the light (strangely enough it's even a het albino Darwin too). It's generally just a hatchy thing because they are so small and skittish
Soon as he takes it I leave the room there's never a light on either. Sometimes when he strikes and takes it within 2-3 secs he will let go before I even get out the room. There has to be a way to make it easier haha

if all he wants to do is get out? are your tempretures right??? maybe its too hot/cold... just a thought.

I don't feed him in his tank I feed him in a tub which I sit above his lights and heat it up before I feed him. As sax said its a hatchy thing... That's what I thought it was its just a pain to get him to eat it. I don't really want to feed him in his tank (click-clack)

I have tried leaving it in his tank for 20-30 mins all he wants to do is get out lol. And he was being fed fuzzy mice I have got him on pinkie rat for the first time today. I offer him it infront of his face from my hand he strikes at it but sometimes will be a pain in the **** and just want to run away from it. I have tried brainier the mice and offering them to him but his a real pain... I don't know what to do to make him take it and eat it straight away...
a fuzzy mouse is going to be better then a pinkie rat , dont stick the rodent in front of his face - it can scare it off .
the the rodent is nice and warm and the snake is hungry the snake will find it to eat it .

I don't feed him in his tank I feed him in a tub which I sit above his lights and heat it up before I feed him. As sax said its a hatchy thing... That's what I thought it was its just a pain to get him to eat it. I don't really want to feed him in his tank (click-clack)
id feed it in the click clack to avoid stressing the snake out anymore . leave the rodent in there for a couple of hours .

I'm going to try a fuzzy rat next week the pinkie I gave him today weighed 12g it was the biggest pinkie I have seen. He should be able to get a fuz rat down I am guessing. Thanks jas. it's like I have to move the food so it looks alive before he will take it though and his always been fed frozen food... His a weird one

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back