Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a boa survive out here? Yeh reckon it would have been bettter to keep it for a while, get it properly ID and if it needed help, it could be yours or some one elses on a rescue permit. Odd looking snake all the same. I didn't think it looked to healthy for what it's worth.

Yeah for sure.I know of two areas where they can be found.

The snake headed straight for water but was still really active... The man thats holding it is a snake owner and he felt confident it was a python just unsure what species..he released it back in the bushes where i work before it got distressed...The timber was treated but will try find out where the timber was from..

re identify

In the closeup it looks to have a frontal scale,carpets in australia are more fragmented after the prefrontals,probably why it looks to have a longer head.

The snake headed straight for water but was still really active... The man thats holding it is a snake owner and he felt confident it was a python just unsure what species..he released it back in the bushes where i work before it got distressed...The timber was treated but will try find out where the timber was from..

I really dont think you should have released back into the bush before it is correctly ID by a professional, I would before even thinking about release taking it to the museum where they can find out what it is (do you still have the snake?). I really dont think its your normal run of the mill carpet python. You should be able to track down where the timber is from....look for stamps on the timber itself or contact the supplier.

You have to remember ecosnake that by all means this person does not seem to know much at all about pythons (Judging from the fact you claimed the person holding it was the one who said it was a python). I think if anything this situation should be taken in a positive manner that snakes/pythons seem to now be relocated alot more then killed savagely. We can't ask for all snakes found in timber to ID by an expert.

You have to remember ecosnake that by all means this person does not seem to know much at all about pythons (Judging from the fact you claimed the person holding it was the one who said it was a python). I think if anything this situation should be taken in a positive manner that snakes/pythons seem to now be relocated alot more then killed savagely. We can't ask for all snakes found in timber to ID by an expert.

I don’t see your point at all, so what is the snake in question? We have established that it’s a python but where from??
Australia exports a lot of timber from neighboring countries, PNG, Malaysia. A lot of our snakes are similar to theirs, however this is an unusual animal “simply saying is a dehydrated carpet python and looks sick” isn’t good enough considering no one really knows, there are plenty of pythons that occur in other parts of the world that are morphologically slim build with no patterns and mottled.

I have been around for 26 years and from that photo there would be now way I would be 100% that it’s native to Australia. Ok let say it’s not native to Australia and did travel from across the sea……would you say it be fair on our native animals or this individual snake itself? Could this Alien python breed with ours? Does this snake carry diseases?

Could this be the start of our Asian House gecko in snakes? Ok saying that I am wrong and I hope I am, and this snake is Australian…can you tell me what Local it is from? It is irresponsible to just let the animal go if you are not 100% sure were it’s from.

Cheers Marc

It looks like I've made something unclear.

(Judging from the fact you claimed the person holding it was the one who said it was a python).

I was directing this towards the starter of this thread.

It is irresponsible to just let the animal go if you are not 100% sure were it’s from.

I only have one thing to say - what do you think the thousands of people who see unfamiliar reptiles everyday should do? Should the animal be captured and sent to a museum? Sure someone like you with knowledge about reptiles may become interested and send it something off to be ID'd but how can you call someone iresponsible just for letting a snake go? Would you rather any reptile found that is unfamiliar be killed?

Your not sure what sort of snake it is... yet you handled it?
Your not sure where it came from... yet you released it?

No idea!

It looks like I've made something unclear.

I was directing this towards the starter of this thread.

I only have one thing to say - what do you think the thousands of people who see unfamiliar reptiles everyday should do? Should the animal be captured and sent to a museum? Sure someone like you with knowledge about reptiles may become interested and send it something off to be ID'd but how can you call someone iresponsible just for letting a snake go? Would you rather any reptile found that is unfamiliar be killed?

Well that 4 things you would like to say but who's counting!

1) what do you think the thousands of people who see unfamiliar reptiles everyday should do? yes
2) Should the animal be captured and sent to a museum? yes
3) how can you call someone iresponsible just for letting a snake go? easily
4) Would you rather any reptile found that is unfamiliar be killed? What do you thik I dont believe I mentioned killing it.

cheers Marc

So my mate who knows nothing about reptiles finds a red belly but because he knows nothing about reptiles he should capture it and send it off for ID? :shock:

4) Would you rather any reptile found that is unfamiliar be killed? What do you thik I dont believe I mentioned killing it.

I understand that but i said that because only a very small minority of people will have a reptile ID'd. There is a larger percentage of people who will capture and re-locate the reptile, but to top that there is an even larger percentage willing to kill the reptile without and questions asked. Shouldn't we encourage people to re-locate reptiles rather then kill them?

I see exactly where you are coming from - this could very well be another asian house gecko crisis. If pythons are making their way into Oz in timber and other things they do pose a risk to our wildlife but i think in this situation calling mohana irresponsible was unjust. That is all i was trying to say and I'd rather not have a flaming match over something like this.

I see exactly where you are coming from - this could very well be another asian house gecko crisis. If pythons are making their way into Oz in timber and other things they do pose a risk to our wildlife but i think in this situation calling mohana irresponsible was unjust. That is all i was trying to say and I'd rather not have a flaming match over something like this.

My suggestion would be to leave the thing alone (if you were not Herp educated).
However in this case as the animal was captured it was infact irresponsible to release it when it could have easily been handed into WIRES etc for ID and correct disposal.

Well that 4 things you would like to say but who's counting!

1) what do you think the thousands of people who see unfamiliar reptiles everyday should do? yes
2) Should the animal be captured and sent to a museum? yes
3) how can you call someone iresponsible just for letting a snake go? easily

cheers Marc

You can't be serious, the majority of the population couldn't Id a snake if they tried, you can't expect them to catch every snake they see and take it to the museum for a positve Id.

scrawny unusually patterned coastal carpet in no way would i have thought it was a stowaway from afar.

You can't be serious, the majority of the population couldn't Id a snake if they tried, you can't expect them to catch every snake they see and take it to the museum for a positve Id.

I Volunteered at the Qld Museum for 2 1/2 years and they get 100's of requests for ID's every year, yeah I agree that the majority of the population couldn't Id a snake if they tried, and I never said catch it, phone camera a good these days. So yeah I am serious!

You all seem to be jumping the gun abit. IT WAS NOT IMPORTED IN THE TIMBER. ANY and ALL timber which is imported into australia is fumigated and treated for any living organism.. even if the snake was an egg it would not have survived the trip. the snake has found its way into the timber in AUSTRALIA.

Thankyou mcloughlin2. i was unaware that you could hand a snake in to be identified and since its origin is australia cant see why it shouldnt have been released it wouldnt eat and only drank water.

The reason i enquired about it was wanted to know if they are available to Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back