Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had another idea while outside having a smoke.
once a month slateman opens a dictionary to a random page and picks a random word .
a thread is opened and everyone gets to guess the word untill someone guessed correctly but you cant guess more than once in a 24 hr period each months winner is put into a raffle and drawn. Takes abit of effort but not too much , abit of skill but anyone can do it , can't google the answer , and very easy to run except for slateman who has to read through the guesses

Just had another idea while outside having a smoke.
once a month slateman opens a dictionary to a random page and picks a random word .
a thread is opened and everyone gets to guess the word untill someone guessed correctly but you cant guess more than once in a 24 hr period each months winner is put into a raffle and drawn. Takes abit of effort but not too much , abit of skill but anyone can do it , can't google the answer , and very easy to run except for slateman who has to read through the guesses

And how many words are there in the English language that we have to guess from?

Hello Simon and friends at SX reps,

So you guys are going to donate a snake ( albino Darwin) to APS, that is fantastic guys. (p.s simon i read all your stuff and enjoy it every time)
So how do we run the competition, so that is fair for everyone?

MY idea runs like this ,,,

I reckon make it easy.

Everyone's name goes in a draw once a month, the names get drawn out and in order of how they come out they get points allocated, all the way from first out to last out.

Then every month your points are added together and we can view it on a table ( like the footy tips).

That way it is completly random and its anyones game right till the end, it is up to luck.

If it is a photo comp ( it is bias to people who have great cameras and a photograpic background)

If it is a question knowledge comp ( then it is bias to the more experianced or people who dont work or go to school ( and can sit on the net for hours getting information)
efit
Simon has asked for it to be fair on every level, i think my idea is fair to everyone.

Patrick King.

Southen X has donated an absoulutly awsome prize ( and will get the advertising out of it).

So my idea is this, as before........BUT everyone who wants a Southen X albino carpet, can donate $1 each month (going to APS, southern X, or Tim Nias benefit)

This is open to everyone

Pat King

If it is a question knowledge comp ( then it is bias to the more experianced or people who dont work or go to school ( and can sit on the net for hours getting information)

Bias nothing.

I managed to get third in the last comp, and I work full time, plus care for my own animals and run a house by myself. Contrary to your thoughts, I also have a life off the computer. I am not experienced, knew absolutely nothing about venomous snakes, reptiles with legs or exotic species and I did spend a lot of time researching, asking questions and above all, learning what I needed to know for the last comp.

I don't know anything about Readysell's situation, but I do know that Sdaji, during the comp, had full time work and was doing his honours degree at Uni. So really, the call that 'people don't have time' is an empty one. If someone wants something badly enough, they will work and put the effort in to win it or do well.

The last comp, I thought, ran for too long, and many people that had a very good chance at winning, lost interest and dropped out due to the length.

However, the questions were good, were varied, gave everyone a chance and above all, were a great way to learn about the subject they revolved around.

Reptiles.

You want the prize, work for it. You want it handed to you on a platter, join a bleeding hearts group, sook loudly enough and maybe someone will pity you and give you a handout.

ok lol maybe it wasn't a good idea, maybe narrow it done with a clue say A-F and give people a guess every 12hrs

Make a reptile dictionary and then we will be on the right track I think :)(it has to be reptile related...)

You want the prize, work for it. You want it handed to you on a platter, join a bleeding hearts group, sook loudly enough and maybe someone will pity you and give you a handout.[/quote]

What is that Wrasse? i just wanted it to be fair for the the people on this site that are working there first job, are living and breating reptiles like i was at that age.
Im 27 yo and i know for a fact that i "fart" what you make in a year.

Doc roc wants it to be fair, its his snake.

I dont want anything to be as you said " handed to you on a platter, join a bleeding hearts group, sook loudly enough and maybe someone will pity you and give you a handout"

But hey thanks for that Wrasse.

donk

ok, here's an idea...

We all dress up as Turkeys, run through our respective cities, gobbling and flapping and the one that gets the most press coverage, wins !!

:D

Make a reptile dictionary and then we will be on the right track I think :)(it has to be reptile related...)
Great idea i just found this http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/herps/glossary.html
but only has 53 words i think we would need a few hundred depending on how many ppl participate in the comp. I just reckon something along these lines is fair to ppl of all skills
The comp will never be 100% fair because life isn't fair but it can be made as fair as possible

What is that Wrasse? i just wanted it to be fair for the the people on this site that are working there first job, are living and breating reptiles like i was at that age.
Im 27 yo and i know for a fact that i "fart" what you make in a year.

Doc roc wants it to be fair, its his snake.

I dont want anything to be as you said " handed to you on a platter, join a bleeding hearts group, sook loudly enough and maybe someone will pity you and give you a handout"

But hey thanks for that Wrasse.

donk

Wow, did I hit a nerve ? Poor Donkey. ;)

If you really make so much money (and I love the thought that you think you are privy to my private income) then why don't you bow out and buy your albino ?

It was made clear in the beginning that 'effort' was to be put into this competition and the only effort I see in your idea is your typed words.

Was the underline in my name supposed to be a nice way of getting around the swearing filter ? Funny that, coming from someone that has Donkey in his nick and shows a picture of said Burro as his avatar.

Really, did you have to make this personal ? I wasn't attempting to do so. I was simply pointing out that a 'lottery' is hardly effort.

Chill. :)

:DWrasse, yes it was a go at your name :lol::lol: your smarter than i thought you were:lol::lol: JK

Im not even going in the comp mate.

I have enough white snakes to do me.

peace ( i like you so lets leave it):D

donk

Depends where the image comes from. In the last comp i identified one of the species by searching google images and finding the exact same picture Slatey put up.

This time I would make images by my self LOL like the one with coper brush. Only Tan had it right. If all this will stay only in my hands again , it will guarantee that there are not favors.

Last comp was won by Sadji and I have no connection to him at all.

I disagree with the 'Subscriber only' option. I am not a subscriber, and the reason for this is because I do not have a PayPal account to become one. I have offered to post a cheque to Adam or Slateman, and I offered to do a direct debit to either, and the offer was refused as, to avoid confusion, and given the large membership, it wasn't convenient.

I don't have PayPal as the company messed up my account in the past and caused no end of confusion fixing it up, not to mention the inconvenience and I don't wish to open another PayPal account and have this happen again.

So why, when I have been an active member for a long period of time, with no infractions ever issued against me, yet a large post count to show I do contribute, and have shown a desire to become a subscriber, should I not be allowed to enter this competition ?

<insert fine print here:> Of course, all of the above is hypothetical, as, like Sdaji has expressed, after having been placed in the last snake comp from Southern X Reptiles, I have a few personal/moral/ethic issues about it being fair to enter this one.

Just to correct this. And this is important.
You don't have to create paypal account to subscribe.
We are registered with paypal that is where our account is hold, and to pay subscription you just use credit card to pay.
It is secure process and in today's modern age is not many other ways.
We don't deal with cheque depositing, but if some young kids don't have credit cart , we do allow them to deposit directly to our account. Many of the subscribers did this. It takes about week to have it done that way. Credit cart payment makes you subscriber instantly.

Well if you are so smart people
tell me what is behind this picture. I give you 4 option. Any age group can have this right.

1. girls body
2. wall
3. men's back
3. country side.

I would like to know what would be our supersadji answer. LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Not many people are able to give me answer to this multiple choice, comon, have a go.
moz-screenshot.jpg

This will show us how many kids and how many adults will have this right.
Maybe we will be surpriced.
And to have it right, all you need to be is good APS follower.

Well if you are so smart people
tell me what is behind this picture. I give you 4 option. Any age group can have this right.

1. girls body
2. wall
3. men's back
3. country side.

I'll go for number 3, that gives me a 50% chance of being correct ;)

A drinking competition... last man standing gets the albino!

I find that comment offensive!! Men can't drink!! :lol:
How about we do the highest number or standard drinks per kg of body weight wins the albino?

Hehe! Bring on responsible drinking of alcohol! :D

Idea

I think we shold have a competition that requires people to read the posts. Obviously we wouldn't ask questions relating to chit chat type posts but mroe about herp posts. The questions should force people to read all of th eherp related posts if they want to win. That way it will reward the regualr users of the site and that is what the competition is about.

After all, Southern Cross sponsors the site and clearly wants to make money by selling reptiles to our members. Well the competition should force people to use the site more.

So, Slatey my old mate. Ask questions that relate to some advice given inside a thread or some other information relating to a thread.

For Example - you could ask: According to Peter Johnson, what were the only three species of Carpet Python (Morelia Spilota) as described by Cogger ion the 1988 version of his book?

To find this answer you would merely have to read the Morelia Imbricata thread started by Anthony88.

lol all I know is behind that picture is a wall, a building and cookie monster to the side lol which has been cut out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back