Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that photo competitions are far too open to bias and subjection in judging, and it's basically a way of saying that a good photographer is going to be given a free snake. Having a completely random system doesn't seem like a great idea, it isn't as fun, there is no challenge, it's just a free raffle. The winner should have to work for their prize.

I certainly didn't have a lot of time on my hands during most of the last competition, I was an honours student during most of it (the most intense and stressful year of my life!). It is not just good fortune or luck if you know the answers to questions - a broad range of knowledge comes from years of hard work, and if someone is rewarded for that, good! Alternatively, if someone has the time to spend doing lots of research and learning while playing the game, it's great if they're rewarded for that too. If it's a combination of putting in the time, having good general knowledge and being savvy in the use of whatever tricks are available, great, surely that person deserves to win more than the person who simply said "Oh, a competition, I suppose I'll put my name down".

I think it would be good if answering the questions was not possible simply by doing hours upon hours of mindless google image searching until you find the right one, so plucking pictures from the internet should definately be avoided if picture identification is going to be part of the game. There are some little tricks which often enable people to determine who the photographer is, along with other useful information, which can often make it very easy to determine what the picture is of (not looking at anyone in particular here, Slateman! ;) ).

Looking forward to watching what is sure to be a fun game, without the feelings of guilt caused by knowing that I'm preventing anyone else from winning ;)

Ha ha Sadji you did not get the coper brush picture right last time. :p

How about a dare competition? People have to eat live Mealworms, then the following week they have to skydive, then do something really scarey like handle a snake, etc etc.

In the final round those who remain can dress up in pigeon costumes and eat as much bread as possible in 20 seconds without using their hands.

How about a dare competition? People have to eat live Mealworms, then the following week they have to skydive, then do something really scarey like handle a snake, etc etc.

In the final round those who remain can dress up in pigeon costumes and eat as much bread as possible in 20 seconds without using their hands.

Best idea so far.

Instead of that final round (maybe Sdaji's idea could be for an earlier round?) we could lock the last 10 or so in a house full of brown snakes and the last surviving person can have the albino :)

I've been giving this a lot of thought. The comp should achieve 3 things:

1. Promote Southern X Reptiles
2. Promote APS
3. Give every member an equal chance of winning.

The following idea achieves all three of these:

There are 20 questions, the answers to all of which can be found easily on the Southern X website. For example, How much are Diamond Pythons? What is the name of the original albino Darwin Carpet Python? What is Doc Rocs real name? How many types of Woma's does Southern X breed/sell? etc etc etc

Everyone can find these answers easily, so everyone will (should) qualify for entry (by having all questions correct). It promotes Southern X as everyone will be searching their website thoroughly, and obviously it is promoting APS as you would need to be a member to win.

Thoughts?

That would be discriminatory against people who are poor snake handlers.

Oh no! I've just thought of another problem! How are we going to avoid discriminating against people who can't manage to enter the competition? People who are on holiday at the time, people in hospital, newborn babies, alcoholics who drink too much to function, etc? :cry:

I've been giving this a lot of thought. The comp should achieve 3 things:

1. Promote Southern X Reptiles
2. Promote APS
3. Give every member an equal chance of winning.

The following idea achieves all three of these:

There are 20 questions, the answers to all of which can be found easily on the Southern X website. For example, How much are Diamond Pythons? What is the name of the original albino Darwin Carpet Python? What is Doc Rocs real name? How many types of Woma's does Southern X breed/sell? etc etc etc

Everyone can find these answers easily, so everyone will (should) qualify for entry (by having all questions correct). It promotes Southern X as everyone will be searching their website thoroughly, and obviously it is promoting APS as you would need to be a member to win.

Thoughts?

Everyone will get full scores. That's the problem with making it easy ;)

That would be discriminatory against people who are poor snake handlers.

Whoops! I left off the bit with the Hawaiian flower necklaces sprayed with pheromones didn't I? ;)

i dont mean herp related question, just random trivia that anyone can answer or at least find off google

I would prefere to keep google out of it, and choose tasks from all different fields.

For example:

Name Country, city and what you see on the picture. Perfect answer 3 points.

There could be different photos from different fields, like fauna, flora, details of subjects and other photos to guess.

Attachments

• sample orloj.jpg
    sample orloj.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 99
I would prefere to keep google out of it, and choose tasks from all different fields.

For example:

Which would be all very well if the competition was for an overseas trip :p

For example:

3 isn't a country I've ever heard of, and points is a strange name for a city!

Everyone will get full scores. That's the problem with making it easy ;)

It's a good thing though, as it puts the young ones and the old ones, the dumb ones and the intelligent ones, as well as the females and the males on a level playing field. :)

It's a good thing though, as it puts the young ones and the old ones, the dumb ones and the intelligent ones, as well as the females and the males on a level playing field. :)

On a level playing field, we can't find a winner :p

It's drawn at random from everyone who enters correctly, did i forget to mention that? :oops:

The voting idea has been tried in the past and was a spectacular failure. Some people went to great lengths to create false accounts to vote for themselves or friends. I guess competition just brings out the worst in some people.
I like the lottery idea, I think that is the only fair way. The spelling test suggestion actually made me do a spit-take :) That would be interesting, half our members would be out of the running straight away.
As with all these competitions, I will not be entering. I always feel that it would look bad if one of the moderators won one of these prizes, so I never go in them even though there is no rule to say we can't.

Moderators could join the last comp we had for woma, I was running that my self with Simon helping and mods could not benefit. I would not involve mods in this type of comp for compromise reasons. But Grebs did not for reasons he mentioned. There is lot of people who would point the finger if moderator would win anyway.
Only I am the one who can't enter:( That is disappointing for me.

Well if you are so smart people
tell me what is behind this picture. I give you 4 option. Any age group can have this right.

1. girls body
2. wall
3. men's back
3. country side.

I would like to know what would be our supersadji answer. LOL

Attachments

• to be sorted 050.jpg
    to be sorted 050.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 203
Greb are you subscriber? Maybe this should be another condition. Ha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back