'07 jags PICS!!!! (MAJOR DUW!!)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you can tell what animals carry the Jag gene. A jag is a visual het for leucism. They carry one leucistic gene which is recessive (i think or it could be co-dominant), if you can't see jag in them they do not have the 'jag' gene.

Then that would mean that the first one was line bred, because the adults where normal. Or am I wrong?

I'm not trying to prove anything I'm just trying to figure the situation out...

Kane

no it wouldnt be line bred, it would have popped up from two normal parents, the "jag" gene is like the albino gene in a way, it just pops up, you dont line breed to get it the way you do with stripes.

Then that would mean that the first one was line bred, because the adults where normal. Or am I wrong?

I'm not trying to prove anything I'm just trying to figure the situation out...

Kane

No the first one was spontaneous. Genetic mutations like this are a by chance occurance, there is no way of predicting when, where and to who the gene is goign to change.

basicly, the only thing you got wrong if there is no het for "jag". "jag" is het for leucism. It has the same chance that a jag will pop up in aus as over seas, they were just lucky but it is still very unlikely

No the first one was spontaneous. Genetic mutations like this are a by chance occurance, there is no way of predicting when, where and to who the gene is goign to change.

Exactly, so why couldn't one spontaneously pop up in the wild or someone's collection?

Although I do agree that if they are here they probably are illegal imports, unless DNA testing proves otherwise. If I had the chance to get on in the future I sure would get one.

basicly, the only thing you got wrong if there is no het for "jag". "jag" is het for leucism. It has the same chance that a jag will pop up in aus as over seas, they were just lucky but it is still very unlikely

I was using the albino hets as en example :) I meant animals that carry the gene..

Geez I really have to word things properly

Kane

There were pics of the parents of the first jag on Jans web site in the beginning , then they were removed for some reason ???
one parent looked like a brissy coastal the other parent looked like a crappy looking jungle,
but definatly a jungle in my opinion ,,
but the pics were removed never to be seen again

wish i had of saved the parent pics now LOLs ????

Funny, how they got removed never to return.

I wonder if it was because of all the talk of the PNG Carpets being in the mix?

hmmm, where do i start...

to my knowledge, the founder jag was purchased by Jan, not produced by him, hence why the parents pictures arent there any more...

Jags are co-dom, hence the super form, which is a leucistuc.... so jags didnt come to be because of 2 hets being bred or whatever other theories are, Jags came about via a spontaneous mutation, which means there was a quirk in the embrionic development, which has effected the colour and pattern genes.

Last edited:
AUSTRALIS wrote

" I wonder if it was because of all the talk of the PNG Carpets being in the mix?"

its was the pure coastal lineage statement made by Jan on his cite
to which i beleive the parents photos clearly showed the uncurtain ancestry in one parent ,

There were pics of the parents of the first jag on Jans web site in the beginning , then they were removed for some reason ???
one parent looked like a brissy coastal the other parent looked like a crappy looking jungle,

Save any debate showing the parents off for sure,its just standard practice,good looking snakes anyway,like the ones on the UK pythons website.

Exactly, so why couldn't one spontaneously pop up in the wild or someone's collection?

Although I do agree that if they are here they probably are illegal imports, unless DNA testing proves otherwise. If I had the chance to get on in the future I sure would get one.

I was using the albino hets as en example :) I meant animals that carry the gene..

Geez I really have to word things properly

Kane

They could. Absolutely no reason why it couldn't happen

Email the site and see if you can get the pics agen. We probably know what the result will be already though;)

Although the chances of the exact spontaneous mutation popping up again are extremely slim... thousands, if not millions to one... although on the whole, spontaneous mutations are quite common, to varying degrees, and in all honesty having another spontaneous mutation, different, yet no less extreme is more likely.

The first Jag was produced by Jan and just popped out of a normal looking clutch, if he had purchased the snake why isn't the breeder credited with creating the Jag line ?

hmmm, where do i start...

to my knowledge, the founder jag was purchased by Jan, not produced by him, hence why the parents pictures arent there any more...

Jags are co-dom, hence the super form, which is a leucistuc.... so jags didnt come to be because of 2 hets being bred or whatever other theories are, Jags came about via a spontaneous mutation, which means there was a quirk in the embrionic development, which has effected the colour and pattern genes.

Spontaneous mutations are rare indeed
but a mutation created from a cross breeding of subspecies or species is more common,
and the reason its is legislated against in QLD fauna laws,

Last edited:
Boa, as I understand the situation, Jan spotted it in a collection and bought it... and I only read this in the big Jag thread on MP.com, not a few months ago... and if I remember correctly a european based herper and supposed friend of Jan posted it. Go back through the threads there and look for yourself... Although Jan did work the line to some degree to bring it to the point it is today.

Boa, just went back through MP, and the database doesnt go back very far time wise... Although i do remember the thread well, and the yanks were whinging about Jan not chiming in to the thread, and the european fella was passing messages in for him, and clarifying the situation... believe me, I wouldnt have added it to the thread as pure speculation.

Boa, as I understand the situation, Jan spotted it in a collection and bought it... and I only read this in the big Jag thread on MP.com, not a few months ago... and if I remember correctly a european based herper and supposed friend of Jan posted it. Go back through the threads there and look for yourself... Although Jan did work the line to some degree to bring it to the point it is today.

email jan direct [email protected] he produced them as boa has said i have had a few chats with him via email
he has moved so there may be a delay in his reply
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back