Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 25905

Reaction score
I know this shouldn't be done, but from some more experienced advice is there any chance i could fit another snake in a 4x2x2 inclosure with a Bredli Morelia (centralian) his about 2 yrs old roughly 6ft. possibly a smaller species?

Attachments

• DSC00426.jpg
    DSC00426.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC00424.jpg
    DSC00424.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
thanks gecko man that was very helpful.....what were you trying to point out exactly, there is no harm is asking just curious if it can be done.

I have a pair of bredlis housed together (male / female) and they clearly enjoy each other's company. Just remember to separate for feeding.

thanks king although how big is your enclosure as the 1 i currently have is 4x2x2.

There are very divided opinions on doing this so be prepared for a bit of flak
I have kept most species together at one time or another with zero problems so far
I have never kept snakes that commonly eat other reptiles together
Bredlis really do seem to enjoy each others company if raised together
I never feed the snakes together
I always separate one or two into feeding boxes
Then I close the box and put it back into the viv for 24hours
I know this is overkill but it has worked very well for many years on various speciesP1020388c.jpg

cool i know my guy seems to be very calm, friendly and placid. my biggest concern is that the enclosure will be too small to house 2 snakes?

beautiful looking snakes btw.

well i would if ever do it, use the same species of about the same size and age. and if they have same calm temperment you should be ok. but i wouldnt use a smaller different species and never two males :)

There are lots of threads covering this subject.

We have never, and would never do it. Just not worth the risk.

Good luck

well i would if ever do it, use the same species of about the same size and age. and if they have same calm temperment you should be ok. but i wouldnt use a smaller different species and never two males :)

You have some reasonable points there - same species is a good start - but temperament didn't seem to matter - when I put the feisty girl in with the placid boy (coastals) there was never any aggression at all (well, I never saw them mating...)

So I think you can narrow it down to same species and similar sizes is all that is required.

Feed separately because there's always one snake that's slow at eating and the other one has finished and then considers the half eaten rat as their next meal and will remove that rat from the mouth of the slow eating snake :)

However - I'd like to point out your enclosure is too small IN MY OPINION for two snakes. Mine were in a 4 metre cubed enclosure when together...

My 2 bredlis are currently living in a 4ft modified fishtank.they are both approaching the year old mark,the female is a fair bit larger to the male.he is a very slow eater,she gulps everything down.I remove the female first and feed the male cos he always takes so long to feed,when he is almost done i put the girls dinner in at the other end and then feed her.if i time it just right they both finish around the same time.we have no probs at all,exceot they fret away from each to long.

oh and just remember to ALWAYs fed seperate and that you may have more problem mating them... im not to sure but i was told if they live together all year they are less likely to mate... dont quote me on that.

I have a pair of bredlis housed together (male / female) and they clearly enjoy each other's company. Just remember to separate for feeding.

Agree 100% with the king. I have 2 Bredlis that live together both are 1 1/2 years old and they love each other. When we take one out the other starts look for them.
I do feed them in a big tub both to keep safe.

thanks king although how big is your enclosure as the 1 i currently have is 4x2x2.

Mine is 1800mm long x 600mm high x 500mm deep. Idealy bredli's are suited to a tall enclosure more so than a long one.

I had built a brand new one for them, shown elsewhere on this site, ("This is what I can do" thread) but now plan to have a go selling it. They'll get a bigger home eventually, then everything else will get rotated around.

thanks for all the advice, looks like i will get another bredli (female ofcourse) maybe just modify the enclosure to make it bigger and i should be in the clear.

There are very divided opinions on doing this so be prepared for a bit of flak
I have kept most species together at one time or another with zero problems so far
I have never kept snakes that commonly eat other reptiles together
Bredlis really do seem to enjoy each others company if raised together
I never feed the snakes together
I always separate one or two into feeding boxes
Then I close the box and put it back into the viv for 24hours
I know this is overkill but it has worked very well for many years on various speciesView attachment 196279

This is exactly how I do it... My bredli will not stay apart they end up hurting themselves to be together !!! kinda cute

and my enclosure is 1200X800X600

im already thinking of great ways i can expand the enclosure, maybe putting a top level on, i cant wait to go and have a look for "buddies" (my bredli) new friend haha think he will be happy to have the company, i see it works out for a lot of people.

How will you quarantine your new snake....?

Feeding them in a separate enclosure really isn't enough
to stop them from eating each other, each will still
smell like the food item (as it would of touched a lot of
their body)...
If you look at other threads (instead of accepting what
you want to hear on this thread lol).. you will see
plenty of people have their snakes eat each other.

Last edited:
have you experienced this yourself? i have heard of a lot of people housing 2 snake in 1 enclosure with absolutely no problems i also know a few, but your comment is the exact reason i asked as now i will be doing deeper research on the matter.

You asked about housing different possible smaller species together but also stated that it shouldn't be done, so why the need to ask?
Of course you can house a suitable mate in with another, buts thats just stating the obvious......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back