Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You asked about housing different possible smaller species together but also stated that it shouldn't be done, so why the need to ask?
Of course you can house a suitable mate in with another, buts thats just stating the obvious......

NO i asked if i could fit another snake with my bredli, please tell me where i said ANYTHING about a DIFFERENT species? get your facts straight before you post a reply trying to be smart about it, and by smaller species i mean "jungle" or "coastal" etc.

Last edited:
sorry for hijacking this thread I just would like to ask a similer ? I have a coastal carpet Female about 6feet long which is in an enclosure that is 190cm long 75cm high and 50cm deep is it possible to keep 2 in that size enclosure yes or no. I would just like answers please no answers such as how dangerous etc etc

I can see no problem there
But better check that sticky thread which gives the required dimensions for reptiles in NSW

s there any chance i could fit another snake in a 4x2x2 inclosure with a Bredli Morelia (centralian) his about 2 yrs old roughly 6ft. possibly a smaller species?

NO i asked if i could fit another snake with my bredli, please tell me where i said ANYTHING about a DIFFERENT species? get your facts straight before you post a reply trying to be smart about it, and by smaller species i mean "jungle" or "coastal" etc.
Thats what you said

Funny that people get suprised when their male and female seem to love eachother.
I think it's called procreation.

I house my olives together for a couple of months every year and have had no problems, obviously separate them at feeding time.

it sounds like you guys are asking for a guarantee that things will be ok, and no one can give u that.

there are risks involved, and if youre snakes eat each other you cant pull out this thread and say 'but 5 members told me it would be ok!'

i house 2 female bredli together, theyve been together since birth, identical in every way since i weigh all their food and make sure there is no size difference at all, if theyre out in the big aviary then my male is out there with them as well, but with smaller indoor enclosures i prefer not to risk having him there as well since hes a fair bit bigger. So far so good, but i feed seperately, bath and dry off after eating just to make sure that theyre past any feeding response and dont smell like food to minimise any risks.

i have to agree tho, they really do seem to enjoy each others company.

well i would if ever do it, use the same species of about the same size and age. but i wouldnt use a smaller different species and never two males :)

That and separate for feeding as has been stated by other members and you wont have a problem. Gradual introduction may help to ease your mind a bit.

Mine are still powering on schellfisch :). Just keeping you updated :lol:

Last edited:
Thats what you said

ok im sorry i wasn't SPECIFIC enough for you "smaller SUB-SPECIES" is that ok i didn't realise i had to be so exact with my thread mr perfect its funny because every other person obviously knew what i meant.

it sounds like you guys are asking for a guarantee that things will be ok, and no one can give u that.

there are risks involved, and if youre snakes eat each other you cant pull out this thread and say 'but 5 members told me it would be ok!'

i house 2 female bredli together, theyve been together since birth, identical in every way since i weigh all their food and make sure there is no size difference at all, if theyre out in the big aviary then my male is out there with them as well, but with smaller indoor enclosures i prefer not to risk having him there as well since hes a fair bit bigger. So far so good, but i feed seperately, bath and dry off after eating just to make sure that theyre past any feeding response and dont smell like food to minimise any risks.

i have to agree tho, they really do seem to enjoy each others company.

thank you for that information, how do you wash your snake? i have never heard of this being done. and i obviously know that i shouldn't go wit it just because its what i want to here, but this is a very 2 sided and bias forum site i also visited a reptile shop and breeder today to get some info and it seems like it will be ok, im not going to jump straight into it the first time i here YES IT OK.

LOL, smaller species or sub-species, either way if you put a smaller species/sub-species in the same enclosure with a carpet your running a risk of injury or death

yes ok well thanks for your opinion, if i decide to do it obviously i would be taking precautions, yes i do want 2 snakes but i also would not want them to harm each other im not going to ignore the risks im new not stupid.

The ONLY way to completely eliminate the risks of housing any snakes together is to NOT do it.....

The only point I will address here has been mentioned previously, I would just like to build on for clarification:

Temperament is a description we use to describe a snake in relation to their behaviour towards us. It is a human-animal interaction and therefore the results of which cannot be suggested for another scenario such as animal-animal interaction. The only instance behaviour could be used is if it is observed between the two individuals/species you are looking at housing communally (intra/interspecific relationships).

Well I house my 2 spotteds together because I needed one of their enclosures for another snake that I have saved form a certain death if she stayed where she was and i just havent gotten around to building the new girl an enclosure of her own. The spotteds seem to be very happy and have started mating they are quite often curled up together in their hide or on the ladder how ever I do feed them separately.IMG_3736.JPG

I have a pair of Bredli together, and my enclosure is 1200x600x600. They are both three years old (well, the female is, the male will be on the 30th of this month!), they have a hollow log each, separate basking platforms above the heat source and separate basking sites below the heat source. They have been together now for two years, and 'seem' to get along well. There have been no outward signs of aggression, even in the early stages (were monitored very closely for this) and they are fed separately. Female in a tub, male stays in the enclosure. After an hour or so, when rats have been well and truly consumed, all stretches and yawns done, female goes back in with the male, and I monitor their behaviour again for 20-30minutes. They are fed medium rats fortnightly.

I also have a pair of Murray Darlings together, their enclosure is 2400 x 600 x 600. Same amount of hides, basking sites etc as the Bredli and my female is 7 years old, my male is 9 years old. I take the male out for feeds (he prefers this!), and follow the above routine as the Bredli. They are on large adult rats (probably should be on small rabbits, but...!), fed fortnightly.

All this being said, if you keep the same species of the same age together, monitor them as closely as possible, feed separately, you "shouldn't" have too many problems.

Best,
Carolyn

There have been no outward signs of aggression, even in the early stages (were monitored very closely for this) and they are fed separately. Female in a tub, male stays in the enclosure. After an hour or so, when rats have been well and truly consumed, all stretches and yawns done, female goes back in with the male, and I monitor their behaviour again for 20-30minutes. They are fed medium rats fortnightly.

Best,
Carolyn

yes that information i have been told a lot and seems like the smart way to do it as the should be full, relaxed, scent gone etc.

well here is what i have so far, this forum is not the only place i have been getting info bout this topic and ALOT of people who are for it have the same precautions when it come to housing them together and say it has worked out fine, however a handful of people have told me its a bad idea and YES i do see there points but have yet to hear of a case where it has actually gone wrong.

therefor i believe that if i do things with caution and monitor them very closely and things seem to go well ok then all good, and for those who are against it for your peace of mind as i mentioned before i would not want any harm to come to them so if this looked like it wont work or about to go bad i will separate them and make other arrangements.

don't like it, don't care.

If you are going to put another Bredli of the opposite sex just make sure the female is big enough to safely breed otherwise you putting her at risk if she becomes gravid.
IF you do a bit of research you will find heaps of info on introducing snakes for breeding and how to do it with minimum risk.
If you dont want them to breed then dont put them together, even if you dont cool them etc there is still a good chance of copulation.
Im sorry for being short but your post gave me the impression that you wanted to put a different, smaller species in with you Bredli.

however a handful of people have told me its a bad idea and YES i do see there points but have yet to hear of a case where it has actually gone wrong.
The problem no one is going to post on the net saying they stuffed up and now their prized snake is in another snakes belly, would you?

Ok, at the end of the day...to answer you're original question..."Yes"...you can house two snakes together.

But...it is not recommended. However if you do then take the neccessary precautions. I myself have only housed same breeds of same size with no problems. Although I would not house hatchling or juviniles together. I would only do it with Adults of the same breed and size. Full Stop.

Also I do separate them to feed and I don't bath them before putting back together.

By the way I have also seen THREE adult Jungle's housed together with no problems.

If you want to do something then just try it. Just don't kick yourself if something does go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back