Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Yes ! I dont really care what anyone thinks of me on this forum anymore! I came on here to learn , make friends with similar interests etc and instead was abused and belittled so yah straight up if Id had that happen and saw a thread like this Id admit it and use it as a deterrent for anyone else . But thats just me and theirs not many like me !

There are few photos floating around on here somewhere of snakes having a chow down on each other
two BHPs which is totally understandable
Olive eating carpet similar
Carpet eating carpet too I seem to remember
But they were a fair while ago I think

But then there is also the other side
First photo I put up was a bredli and an old carpet called called Butt for obvious reasons
They lived together for three years until I needed the bredli for breeding
In the next photos there is a story behind each
The baby jungle was put in tub inside honeys viv and escaped
Next day it was curled up in front of honey
Honey was the most placid python you could ever want to meet
But when I tried to remove the baby she really hissed at me for the first time ever
So they stayed together for three years also and the ritual was exactly the same every time
Lift Honey out first and the little one would wrap itself around her and go for a ride
Try to take the little one first and honey would hiss
Outside the viv they could have cared less
But when I separated them honey would refuse to eat
Next ones are three bredli 2 female one male that stayed together over 5 years
After that is a nice little jungle that adopted a couple of other bredli
honey.jpg
bred.jpg
j1.jpg

There is a risk with doing this
But if they are fed regularly there is 'usually ' no problem
So long as that risk is accepted the joy in watching the interaction between the snakes is pretty cool

In the majority of cases my snakes were fed one week apart because of being used in demonstrations but that was easily catered for by
putting the fed snake into a closed box inside the viv for at least 24hrs and wiping it over with a warm wet cloth to remove food smells before letting it join the others

IF you do a bit of research you will find heaps of info on introducing snakes for breeding and how to do it with minimum risk.The problem no one is going to post on the net saying they stuffed up and now their prized snake is in another snakes belly, would you?

yes i have been doing a lot of research so i know exactly what to watch out for and how things should be handled, yeh ok i guess thats true but maybe there were storys of "someone they knew"

and my plan is to get another "female" breali (centralian) about 2 years of age that is roughly the same size but if im correct being a female she may be bigger but also depends on how often and type of food being fed correct me if im wrong. yes i will be feeding them separately and making sure there is a gap in time before i put the back together.

he is something that surprised me, i seen a thread (cant remember what it was about) where a guy said he use to put moisturising cream on his hands when he handled his snake (not every time) so that it would help the skin not go dry or remove any scent of food, obviously it would be non harmful, can it be done is it ok and what type of cream would you use?

You must be very careful using any kind of creams etc with snakes
We hand around our snakes like lollies here
But every night we wipe them over to remove things like Moisturiser Sunscreen Deoderant Perfume Sweat People Bugsetc etc
Check exactly what is in the moisturiser before you use it
Internet can tell you how harmfull/harmless those ingredients may or may not be
I know they make moisturiser for people who are hyper allergenic so one of those might be safest
If you have any doubts at all ring a vet and ask him

Taken from identical thread:

olive_eating_intergrade_132.jpg
(Thanks MM)

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/2-pythons-1-cage-53373/

You must be very careful using any kind of creams etc with snakes
We hand around our snakes like lollies here
But every night we wipe them over to remove things like Moisturiser Sunscreen Deoderant Perfume Sweat People Bugsetc etc
Check exactly what is in the moisturiser before you use it
Internet can tell you how harmfull/harmless those ingredients may or may not be
I know they make moisturiser for people who are hyper allergenic so one of those might be safest
If you have any doubts at all ring a vet and ask him

wat about if i let them move through a warm damp clothe in my hands after feeding and/or whenever they need to be a little "freshened up" so to say.

see that there shows an excellent point ok yes i get the point there is a risk, but i must say im sure that it can be preventable with close attention for the first few weeks of interaction and extra special care and precautions when feeding. very unfortunate outcome.

thank you all for the feedback and advice tips etc, its all up to me now to decide how to go about it and what to do thanks again. Josh

Last edited:
but i must say im sure that it can be preventable with close attention for the first few weeks of interaction and extra special care and precautions when feeding. very unfortunate outcome.

Just curious as to why you think extra special care and precautions for only the first few weeks is all thats required to prevent an unfortunate outcome.....
:?

Like most who intend to house together no matter what information they are given, you offer all sorts of scenarios as to how unfortunate outcomes can be avoided, to justify what you are doing.

There are known risks. If you take the risk, you accept the consequences, on behalf of your snakes.

Just curious as to why you think extra special care and precautions for only the first few weeks is all thats required to prevent an unfortunate outcome.....
:?

Like most who intend to house together no matter what information they are given, you offer all sorts of scenarios as to how unfortunate outcomes can be avoided, to justify what you are doing.

There are known risks. If you take the risk, you accept the consequences, on behalf of your snakes.

ok yes my mistake, first few weeks actually should be all the time just like i do with my bredli that i currently have, it was about 2:30-3:00 in the morning when i wrote that and i was tired. as i have said through this entire thread i do realise there are risks AND consequences and it is obvious people do not like the idea but in the end it is MY CHOICE.

i have got all the information i need so people can feel free to continue to post if they feel, whatever knock yourselves out if you don't like it too bad.

Josh you know my views on this subject
BUT the extra care lasts as long as they are together not just for a short time

In my mind it is worth it
But every time you feel complacent please look at that last photo again

this is what you get for being stupid enough to house those 2 different species together
2 of the same species male/female and done right can work but their is NEVER a guarantee for houseing any
2 of anything together, my ex and my rotty didnt mix she was a biter and he was a lover
sometime 2 dogs just hate eachother sometimes a dog n cat will live in harmony some dont it depends more on the personality of each snake and the way you do it.

There's more to that photo than meets the eye....

The that's consuming the other one was a wild caught animal and the person that cuaght it had to do something and thought he would drop it in with his "pet python". I think he had to take his wife to hospital or something

Anyway, he came back to find that. Not really valid if this story is the truth, which I believe it is, I saw it in another thread about housing snakes together and someone piped up and told the truth about the picture.

The real truth of that picture is that Olive Pythons are a type of water python
Anything that hunts near or in water will be an opportunistic feeder but usually not on their own kind
Anything else that moves is potentially a target
The varieties I would not put together would be Womas Black Heads and anything I had doubts about
My olives and waters were quite happy together but were separated when the olives grew larger than the waters
But I always had to be careful when demonstrating about the order I used the animals in because if you had young carpets or jungles the scent of them on your hands would often start the waters into feeding mode

The real truth of that picture is that Olive Pythons are a type of water python
Anything that hunts near or in water will be an opportunistic feeder but usually not on their own kind
Anything else that moves is potentially a target
The varieties I would not put together would be Womas Black Heads and anything I had doubts about
My olives and waters were quite happy together but were separated when the olives grew larger than the waters
But I always had to be careful when demonstrating about the order I used the animals in because if you had young carpets or jungles the scent of them on your hands would often start the waters into feeding mode

Right, cheers mate :) what is the BIG snake in the pic with the Bredli you posted earlier on?

That is a big old Brisbane coastal called Butt because he was not the prettiest of snakes
Everyone would pull back when I let him slither out but he was a darling to play with
Bella and he just really enjoyed being together so they stayed that way until I wanted to breed her

I house 2 Bredli's together as well as I keep my jungles together I seperate them for feeding for for 24 hours afterwards as well as give them a bath and don't seem to have any problems at all. The Bredlis are the same size but my female jungle is a bit larger, I feel if you take enough care you should be able to do this successfully.

Josh you know my views on this subject
BUT the extra care lasts as long as they are together not just for a short time

In my mind it is worth it
But every time you feel complacent please look at that last photo again

hey Peter yes i know that need extra care/precautions all the time it was just late and i was very tired when i posted that not to mention i didn't mean what it looked like if you get me.

josh.

I house 2 Bredli's together as well as I keep my jungles together I seperate them for feeding for for 24 hours afterwards as well as give them a bath and don't seem to have any problems at all. The Bredlis are the same size but my female jungle is a bit larger, I feel if you take enough care you should be able to do this successfully.

yes mate the is what i intend to do, same species (bredli) "centralian", same size/age as close as possible and time period of separation after feeding plus a clean with a warm damp clothe. please add if i have forgotten anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back