a few Questions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
ok (im getting a spotted python)
1: do i leave my heat mat on 24 hours a day seven days a week. or is there a time when i should turn it off?
2: with a heat lamp i have read that i have to have it on a day and night cycle. if so tell me how long i have it on for day time and how long i have it on for night time. or tell me if it stays on all the time.
sorry dont mean to be a pest but i couldn't find answers on the web.:)

- - - Updated - - -

3: almost forgot do i need a UVB bulb or any special kind of lighting for a spotted python

1: depending on where you live you might not need to heat at all during summer as it is naturally hot. besides that yes 24/7 (unless cooling for breeding)
2: not a expert on this one as I use heat mats and heat cord for all my snake but I think if you have a red inferred globe its fine all night and day.
3: no UVB is not needed for any pythons in Australia except Diamonds.
Cheers Liam

What age is the spotted python that you are getting? If is is only a young one then I would keep it in a click clack and then you do not need the heat lamp , provided that your mat is of sufficient size to keep the required temperature. If you you are using a light to provide night and day cycles then you can mimic how much actual daylight there is for this time of year. And the UV question I thought was answered in a previous thread for you but might have been someone else but as stated above no a UV light is not necessary.

Im getting a hatchling in January/February and intend to keep it in a click clack. the heat lamp question was more for when it gets older. but what temp should I keep the heat mat at?

yea iv heard about how addicting they can be.
though I hate those people who are like ''Im selling this snake to lower my collection'' as if it is a peace of jewellery or something.
people should have more respect for snakes.

yea iv heard about how addicting they can be.
though I hate those people who are like ''Im selling this snake to lower my collection'' as if it is a peace of jewellery or something.
people should have more respect for snakes.

And people should also respect other people's choices.
I sold two of my snakes on Friday to 'lower my collection' as I've moved into a smaller house and don't have has much room to fit them all, plus I have a baby due in January and won't have as much time to dedicate to all my animals when it's born. Guess that makes me a bad owner instead of a conscientious person who wants the best for his pets and would rather see them go to an owner who can dedicate the time and space for them instead of hold on to them for ownership sake.

Thinking before you post is a big thing in this forum, otherwise the trolls are gonna come out and cut you down and you'll think it's awful, which is a shame because there is a wealth of knowledge to be found here in the people and pages...

And people should also respect other people's choices.
I sold two of my snakes on Friday to 'lower my collection' as I've moved into a smaller house and don't have has much room to fit them all, plus I have a baby due in January and won't have as much time to dedicate to all my animals when it's born. Guess that makes me a bad owner instead of a conscientious person who wants the best for his pets and would rather see them go to an owner who can dedicate the time and space for them instead of hold on to them for ownership sake.

Thinking before you post is a big thing in this forum, otherwise the trolls are gonna come out and cut you down and you'll think it's awful, which is a shame because there is a wealth of knowledge to be found here in the people and pages...

I think you're a baaaddd owner Badsville - the least you could have done is move to a BIGGER place to allow the keeping of MORE snakes... it's what any good owner would do :)! We all know that once you get a snake, you have to keep it forever...

And how selfish are you... having a baby to take some attention away from your snakes... :)!

Jamie

Haha Jamie. @badsville since the OP is 11 years old, I wouldn't get too offended by the comment. At that age it is impossible to understand responsibility and changing priorities.

Luckily when we sell our pythons they don't feel a sense of abandonment.

Yeah that was a bit uncalled for. I'm letting go of an adult female Bredli as i'm reducing collection (trying) since we're moving into a rental soon.

I've had her for more than 5 years and it absolutely kills me to part with her, i'll admit I shed a tear the other day and she hasn't even left yet. :lol::(

Always hard to see animals go that you've formed an attachment to, but it's just not practical to keep them all unfortunately.

Haha Jamie. @badsville since the OP is 11 years old, I wouldn't get too offended by the comment. At that age it is impossible to understand responsibility and changing priorities.

Luckily when we sell our pythons they don't feel a sense of abandonment.

Ha ha! I didn't take it too seriously, I gathered the OP was a youngster, and heaven forbid, I'm often accused of shooting my mouth off on here myself... :) The OP hasn't been through as many collection build-ups as many of us have experienced...

J

didn't mean to offend anyone. but I meant people that collect and don't give the snake proper care and don't care where the snake goes, the kind of person that's in it for the money.

Im getting a hatchling in January/February

A quick aside...

I want to help you set a more realistic time frame for your first python purchase... As you have learned, spotteds are born dec/jan and since responsible breeders won't sell hatchies until they're feeding well I'd expect they won't be available until at least April.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :) )

Lawra depend how quick they are to get feeding. Most breeders sell after 6-10 feeds, so two months after they hatch sounds about right.

Thanks RedFox :) good to know I'm on the right track. I thought it would be helpful to note so hoppy didn't get his hopes up then have to be disappointed.

thanks lawra and redfox. now I know I may have to wait a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back