Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianypoos

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my name's Sian, and I live in Kalbarri WA.
I've wanted a snake for years and years, and now I'm determined to get one.
I've spent the last two evenings looking up all I can about keeping them, but I think I've gone overboard and there's too much info to store in my head!! lol.
I want to learn as much as I can before I buy one, so I guess you guys would be some of the best people to advise me.

First of all, I' read somewhere that a first-timer can only be lisenced for categories 2 and 3. Is that correct?
Also, I've read that the only category 3 pythons are the Antaresias and Morelias. Is this true?
If so, does that include ALL Antaresia and Morelia?

Basically, I'm after one that's relatively docile, not too small when adult (1m at the very least) and of course wonderful to look at (patterned). Of course, this is just a wish list.
I've got so many questions and so much to learn, but for now I'd just like some suggestions for a docile good-looker.
Oh, and would you suggest a hatchling or an adult?

Thanks very much, in advance.;)

Hi ,
I don't know about the laws in W.A . But the smallest fully grown pythons are around the 1 metre mark , they are Childrens pythons , Stimsons python & Spotted python. They are also known to be generally good natured.
You can find a lot of stuff on here about starting out , so read abit more , see what you like , & go for it.

Thanx Nate.
Since I posted this thread, I found the 'Best first snake' section in FAQ. Quite handy, but I want the opinions of as many people as poss, from their experiences. Nothing worse than buying the wrong pet.

Is it just a case of "Hey, any of the following 15 types are fine...."?
I secretly hope so, cos then it would be easy to just pick a colour and size. But I get the impression (from net) that every subspecies has a different temprament, eating habit, etc.

Any and all advice is much appreciated, because I have money here ready and waiting for when I make a choice, and I'm really excited. :lol:

Thanx Nate.
Since I posted this thread, I found the 'Best first snake' section in FAQ. Quite handy, but I want the opinions of as many people as poss, from their experiences. Nothing worse than buying the wrong pet.

Is it just a case of "Hey, any of the following 15 types are fine...."?
I secretly hope so, cos then it would be easy to just pick a colour and size. But I get the impression (from net) that every subspecies has a different temprament, eating habit, etc.

Any and all advice is much appreciated, because I have money here ready and waiting for when I make a choice, and I'm really excited. :lol:
just rememember in wa you are limited to animals native to wa.

Ah, is that what it is? That explains a lot. Bugger!!!

I did read somewhere that only Stimsons and S.W. Carpets are allowed in category 3 in WA, but then I kept reading on the web that all sorts of others were included in cat. 3.
Very confusing when you don't know. lol.

So I've only got to choose between an Antaresia stimsoni and a Morelia spilota imbricata. Is that right?
Oh well, that narrows it down a bit doesn't it? Ha ha.

So....... any opinions/advice on whether to Stimpson or to Carpet?
I should start a poll shouldn't I? Only joking.
I had three of my four children down south, in Donnybrook, so if there's no major difference in temperament I'll go S.W. Carpet.

Thank you Alex. I wish I'd met you 48 hours ago, it would have saved a lot of electricity, wine, time, eyesight, and brainpower. ;)

Ah, is that what it is? That explains a lot. Bugger!!!

I did read somewhere that only Stimsons and S.W. Carpets are allowed in category 3 in WA, but then I kept reading on the web that all sorts of others were included in cat. 3.
Very confusing when you don't know. lol.

So I've only got to choose between an Antaresia stimsoni and a Morelia spilota imbricata. Is that right?
Oh well, that narrows it down a bit doesn't it? Ha ha.

So....... any opinions/advice on whether to Stimpson or to Carpet?
I should start a poll shouldn't I? Only joking.
I had three of my four children down south, in Donnybrook, so if there's no major difference in temperament I'll go S.W. Carpet.

Thank you Alex. I wish I'd met you 48 hours ago, it would have saved a lot of electricity, wine, time, eyesight, and brainpower. ;)
just comes down to personal choice really. this site has some good info and animals for sale http://pilbarapythons.com/home.htm.

Yep, emailed P.Pythons a couple of hours ago, because he's from WA and I wanted to know which breeds he sells, so that I could keep him in mind for when I decided which of the many many breeds I would go for.
Funny, now that my choice is narrowed down, he's selling the 2 that are allowed here.
Now I know why. lol.

Cheers Alex. xx
I'll be back soon, no doubt, with many more questions. Thanx mate. x

Hi Sian,

Probably best to give your local parks & wildlife authority a call to give you the run down on WA licensing regulations. You have a fair variety of WA native snakes, like womas, black headed pythons, water & olive pythons, stimsons, pygmy & childrens pythons and the carpets; morelia spilota variegata, imbricata & carinata.

The Morelia bredli's range is not exact, although core populations are around Alice Springs, its Western range is not definite, but they are still declared as a non-native WA.

Anyway best of luck with your quest and be sure to let us know how you go.

we can only keep five types of pythons in wa
stimsons
s/w carpet [imbricata]
woma
olive
black headed python

Yeah, I emailed Brian Bush and he said that as a newbie, I can only keep Stimsons or SW Carpets.
So I think I'll go with a SW.
Thanks for your help guys, I'm off to get some ideas for containers. I have a 2ft aquarium which I guess would do, but I'll look around this site and on the web for other choices.
Anyone got pics of small-ish containers suitable for a baby?

So, here I am 7 weeks later with my baby Imbricata asleep in my bed (in a lunch box).
I am sooo in love!.
She arrived here from Port Hedland ("Pilbara Pythons") last Thursday, and today she took her first rat since I've had her.
Coool!!

Umm... trying to upload attachments but not sure if it's working.

Attachments

• P5150028 (Medium).JPG
    P5150028 (Medium).JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Sui Seven (Medium).JPG
    Sui Seven (Medium).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Sui Two (Medium).JPG
    Sui Two (Medium).JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 91
  • First feed 2.JPG
    First feed 2.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 104
  • First feed 6.JPG
    First feed 6.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 111
OK, it worked. Here are some more.
There are also videos of her on You Tube. Just search for 'Sui'.

Attachments

• First feed 8.JPG
    First feed 8.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 97
  • P5160014 (Medium).JPG
    P5160014 (Medium).JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 106
Congratulations on your new addition. My guess is that you will find it very hard to stop at one.

Oh I have no doubt that I'll be finding a friend for Mrs Sui Hiss when funds allow. lol. Preferably a male, nudge nudge, wink wink.

Krusty, I have two young goats, and the 5 week-old is called Crusty.

Thanks for the welcome, people.
And if there's anyone here who hasn't bought a snake yet, I have posted some short videos on You Tube of Sui eating a rat. I was soooo excited.
Now I can't wait till I can handle her tomorrow.

Here's the link.
[video=youtube;HInuXL9mWDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HInuXL9mWDc[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back