Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pythons eat a whole food item, so they get bones for calcium internal organs fur etc etc. They get a whole meal with all the necessary vitamins and minerals they need. Even a breeding female doesn't need supplements, although they can be given some. I personally only supplement females after egg depostion with added calcium. This seems to put less 'strain' on the female for breeding next season. If pythons did need supplements of some sort, breeders in the States would have worked it out already and there would be documentation of vitamin/mineral deficiencies in them. As with metabolic bone disease in dragons and monitors.

Cheers
Daz

albino thick tailed geckos are completely blind and have to be hand fed so I have been told, it would depend on the species though

Oh!
I didn't know that, that's something new..
thanks for the info..
sure is tough to keep a blind animal i guess..

Diffrent animals are effected diffrently by albanism. Some mammals develop eye porblems, and skin sensitivity to the sun is obvious.
Reptiles are also effected diffrently depending on the species. It was questioned as to how the thick tailed gecko could be blind if albino. Well the answer is not that simple,,if providable at all. But the bearded dragon suffers side effects relating to development from albinoism aswell. Where the pythons don't seem to at all.

It's true that without the pygment that the rest of the species has, such as the black markings on a blue tounge lizard, I'd imagine the albino counterpart has diffrent heat requirements as it lacks these heat obsorbing markings. I know the water dagon does.
That however does not mean the albino should be subjected to less heat or sun.

Eye problems are often associated with albinoism. Slightly off the topic i've heard that white cats with blue eyes are completely blind. The reason for this might be as unknown as the reason albinos can have eye problems too. Not saying of course they all do.

To answer you're question without further rambling, if you're keen on a new albino pet. My advice is do some research. Ask experienced people about it. The breader should be happy to forward on any advice aswell. This also goes for any new pet you get.

Last edited:
I think albino pythons look fantastic,
But would hesitate to buy one, eye problems are very common in albino animals.
Why pay so much money for a animal that is clearly defective?
I'm not even sure if I agree with breeding them. I put them close to the same category as silk bearded Dragons in America, why purposely breed a defective animal? So you can admire it? What about the animal?
Perhaps there is no evidence of any problems with albino pythons, but I would bet on the fact there eyesight would not be as good as a python that is not albino. Lack of pigmentation is over the whole python this includes there eyes.
I agree with addy, do some research.

Excerpts from the Albino issue of Reptiles Australia (vol 3, issue 4, p. 29), article by Simon Stone & Simon Watharow:
"Essentially, albinos should not be different from their wild-type counterparts other than their lack of black/brown pigment. ... Some [albino lines] have displayed reduced fertility and others eye deformities. ... So far, the albino carpets have proven to be a robust line. ... Perhaps the only consistent health issue with albino reptiles is expsoure to bright sunlight. Most albinos do not like this because the lack of pigment in their eyes makes them more sensitive to direct sun."

So i guess, in conclusion if I'm keeping albino reptiles the conditions in the enclosure would be the same as that of a wild type?

Just make sure you get them a good pair of sunnies for christmas.

If you want an animal to see for you get a seeing eye dog. If you want an animal that looks beautiful get an albino python; preferably an Albino Olive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back