Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow. some nice fishy tanks around here on a snake forum. would would have thought XD
i won't assault anyone with pics of my tanks yet because they're all looking mighty icky right
now and i've been meaning to pull them all down and redo them.
so in the meantime, here's pics of my gorgeous imported boy before he went and killed his tail :(

2jb0cav.jpg

10xecsp.jpg

MH is 4ft long, I have already rewired it to three seperate switches, two are day and one is night with the expensive globe lol. It came with it. I have turned it on etc but its not in constant use until the tank is set up. Im just thinking maybe I should sell it and go with led if its cheaper in the long run, my power bill came yesterday.......

Im having a look at that site Jason, looks really good but pricey. Where would I find the kits? I dont mind wiring them up myself.

Last edited:
if u do sell it pm me ;) i am still sitting on the fence, they say MH is better for the corals then the LEDS but the heat and running cost is a down factor plus bulb replacements but the LEDS spectrum is not as advanced as MHs for coral. I dontn know once I figured out all this power bill issue I can decide if running MH is even on the budget list =(

Madhatter nice beta haven't seen one like that before almost see through.

Twich I'm not sure where you get them but i've been told and shown by other people i'm looking into it my self have to check some sites out.

Im looking at; rapid led, diy kits on ocreef aquatics, and reefledlights.com at the moment. A lot to read and figure out since I havent used them before. Look pretty simple to put together, just a matter of figuring out components and if I want to buy a kit or 'choose my own' so to speak. Im leaning with choose my own but there are partial kits as well.

x2 madhatter, vn

DIY CREE LED Aquarium Light Easy Kit Generation Two

Rapid LED

Heatsinks ? Shop ? ? ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting

No worries Jesse Ill let you know, its a pretty good light, I want to use it but if Im going to save heaps over time then maybe. Ill have to figure out what kind of electricity it will use (havent decided on one glove or two on for day etc)

Last edited:
if u do sell it pm me ;) i am still sitting on the fence, they say MH is better for the corals then the LEDS but the heat and running cost is a down factor plus bulb replacements but the LEDS spectrum is not as advanced as MHs for coral. I dontn know once I figured out all this power bill issue I can decide if running MH is even on the budget list =(

Though about going down the solar power path, with such a big setup it could be worth it.

MH is 4ft long, I have already rewired it to three seperate switches, two are day and one is night with the expensive globe lol. It came with it. I have turned it on etc but its not in constant use until the tank is set up. Im just thinking maybe I should sell it and go with led if its cheaper in the long run, my power bill came yesterday.......

Im having a look at that site Jason, looks really good but pricey. Where would I find the kits? I dont mind wiring them up myself.

Just realized you setting up marine tank an not just looking for a blue light for night on a saltwater setup lol my bad.

Last edited:
No Im setting up a fw tank, but I still like the night light.

I think when you get the kit there will be intructions with it.

Yeah Im guessing it would but I meant buy it as a whole kit or buy all the pieces separately or kind of a half kit and choose some of the components etc

They might sell globes for growing freshwater plants to I never looked into that.

If you do get it seperate there's a diagram on here lol.

They do, there is a really nice looking freshwater led light (ready to go) for about a grand. Im trying to find the diy kit of something along the same lines, seems to be mostly for sw (which makes sense).

I'd by one and then just copy it, the parts are all basic you must be able to get bulbs for them seperate.

Yes you can get the bulbs separate.. Its a pity I dont know anyone with one, I could have a look and copy lol.

This page has the layout and sw/fw
LFS Direct - About LFS Direct
This page has prices
LFSdirect - Products

I could also use two smaller ones running front to back instead of left to righ (one master, one slave) works out about the same price but may give better coverage.

Last edited:
I now you can get the transformes from bunnings, don't know about the rest maybe an electronic store.

Thanks for the links.

Im pretty sure its the same unit with diff globes, so if I can find a cheaper kit I can get diff globes.

No prob, Im interested in it so I have about a dozen windows open looking through stuff hahaha

Ill have to go to my aquarium and ask them (I know they stock them) and see if i can get a list of parts then go back and look on the sites. I know if I just order stuff Ill stuff it up.

I can get led tubes to fit the reflector I have with mh globes in it.. I like that idea but would they give the same output as an led set up? Or do you mean I can buy a new 'kit' that will fit in the reflector?

If I use the light I have (jebo 4ft with mh) and have one globe on for 9hrs and moonlight for a 9 hrs (rest dark) its about 35c a day (unless I got it wrong) so thats actually really cheap and not even including the solar.

Last edited:
I can get led tubes to fit the reflector I have with mh globes in it.. I like that idea but would they give the same output as an led set up? Or do you mean I can buy a new 'kit' that will fit in the reflector?

If I use the light I have (jebo 4ft with mh) and have one globe on for 9hrs and moonlight for a 9 hrs (rest dark) its about 35c a day (unless I got it wrong) so thats actually really cheap and not even including the solar.

I use aqua nova led tubes in both my 4ft cichlid setups and they walk all over fluro's both have 2 single fitting reflectors and I have one tube that is an all white led in one and the other all blue, I have all my lights on timers and both the blue and white tubes switch on at 7am then the white switches of at 7pm and the blues switch of at 11pm..

yeah If your running one tank then there's really no need but if your running 5+ tanks or in squirtles case a garage lol with each tank running 2+ fluros then it will start to add up and with the leds having a longer life and sucking up far less electricity they eventually will pay for themselves..

These are the tubes I use..

[video=youtube_share;SBRpJt3gCKs]http://youtu.be/SBRpJt3gCKs[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back