Asian house geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grow Pots of Citronella Geraniums and Lavender around your doors. I think that's supposed to help with Flies, but mostly mozzies. I think Tanzy? is another herb you can grow as well. Cheers Cheryl

Laws are different for common animals like rats and mice and uncommon animals like reptiles. And AHG's haven't populated all of australia yet so i think some states would hit you pretty hard if you were to start breeding them for any reason. But in places like NT where they are rife you won't have too many problems breeding them. Not real sure if it would be legal though, just might not get introuble if you are caught.

The idea behind this thread is extremely scary :shock:
Get some frogs, fish or small lizards then you will want the flies.

Last edited:
There are heaps of differant fly traps around that dont need chemicals, but you are better off just getting insect screens for your house. You can also just grab them, punch them or hit them with a fly swat.

i highly doubt they would thrive or even live in melbourne though

well you are most likely wrong, they would almost definately live and could even possibly thrive in urban areas. These critters live around electric lights and urban buildings that would be heated in many cases by various things.

They dont handle cold very well, but they can also hibernate(or whatever its called) they almost go stiff at temps around 5C making them much easier to catch. This isnt an issue when they have access to heating as available around developed areas.

Im not sure if there has been much research on these critters but them seem very well suited to urban areas and they will spread everywhere they can survive in time.

Laws are different for common animals like rats and mice and uncommon animals like reptiles. And AHG's haven't populated all of australia yet so i think some states would hit you pretty hard if you were to start breeding them for any reason. But in places like NT where they are rife you won't have too many problems breeding them. Not real sure if it would be legal though, just might not get introuble if you are caught.
But AHGs are everywhere! Or do you mean in captivity? ...Or do I just think they're everywhere 'cause I live in Brisbane?

Thanks for all the idea guys i think I'm gonna go with the fly trap idea then feed them to my baby's.

I don't live in Melbourne anyway so it doesn't make a difference whether AHG could live there or not.

Thank you!

P.S. Do you reckon the flys would carry bacteria that could harm the froggys?
There probably natural and everything but I'm paranoid!

Last edited:
It probably isnt actually illegal as far as i know, they arnt declared pests in qld so it would probably have to be a federal law if it was prohibited. The law aside though I find this sort of attitude is extremely disturbing :(

I think it was less of an 'attitude' and more a misunderstanding. Once we mentioned he shouldn't relocate the AHGs he immediately agreed and went onto a new idea.

But AHGs are everywhere! Or do you mean in captivity? ...Or do I just think they're everywhere 'cause I live in Brisbane?

Captive and wild populations. AHG's are not everywhere, like i said they have not populated all of australia, whereas rats and mice have.

I like the AHG it gives the Minah Birds something to eat that's not native.

Besides as far as invasive species go, Geckoes may displace some of the native varieties of gecko but they are in no way as destructive as other real pest animals, they are not toxic and I am sure a lot of native Australian animals find them tasty!

Tell that to the native NT gecko populations. They are all but extinct, about the only blood that exists of what we should have around darwin is in an AHG hybrid.

That's terrible.. I thought they weren't that bad. Will be catching them and feeding them to my pedes. Take that you b@stards!

Besides as far as invasive species go, Geckoes may displace some of the native varieties of gecko but they are in no way as destructive as other real pest animals, they are not toxic and I am sure a lot of native Australian animals find them tasty!

Great to hear someone has done a study on the subject, perhaps you could post your research on this site for us to read.

Tell that to the native NT gecko populations. They are all but extinct, about the only blood that exists of what we should have around darwin is in an AHG hybrid.

What do they hybridize with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back