Asian house geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks Hix, i dont believe it would cover canetoads or axoltyls as they were legally imported. But it appears that it may cover most AHG's as many were illegally imported as far as i know(brisbane based population), except for the some populations(darwin etc.) which i believe came in before it would have been illegal. Still im allowed to keep them in the freezer either way.

Here is the legal crap anyway for anyone else interested.

303GN Possession of illegally imported specimens
Object
(1) The object of this section is:
(a) to comply with Australia’s obligations under:
(i) the Biodiversity Convention; and
(ii) CITES; and
(b) to otherwise further the objects of this Part;
by prohibiting the possession of illegally imported specimens and the progeny of such specimens.
Note: See Article 8 of the Biodiversity Convention.
Possession of CITES specimens and unlisted regulated live specimens
(2) A person is guilty of an offence if:
(a) the person has in the person’s possession, in the Australian jurisdiction, a specimen; and
(b) the specimen is:
(i) a CITES specimen; or
(ii) a regulated live specimen that is not included in the list referred to in section�*303EB;
and the person is reckless as to that fact; and
(c) the specimen does not belong to a native species.
Penalty: Imprisonment for 5 years or 1,000 penalty units, or both.
(3) Subsection�*(2) does not apply if:
(a) the specimen was lawfully imported; or
(b) the specimen was not imported, but all of the specimens of which it is the progeny were lawfully imported.
Note 1: For lawfully imported, see section�*303GY.
Note 2: The defendant bears an evidential burden in relation to the matters in subsection�*(3) (see subsection 13.3(3) of the Criminal Code).
(4) Subsection�*(2) does not apply if the specimen was neither imported, nor the progeny of any other specimen that was imported.
Note: The defendant bears an evidential burden in relation to the matters in subsection�*(4) (see subsection 13.3(3) of the Criminal Code).
(5) Subsection�*(2) does not apply if the defendant has a reasonable excuse.
Note: The defendant bears an evidential burden in relation to the matter in subsection�*(5) (see subsection 13.3(3) of the Criminal Code).
Possession of listed regulated live specimens
(6) A person is guilty of an offence if:
(a) the person has in the person’s possession, in the Australian jurisdiction, a specimen; and
(b) the specimen is a regulated live specimen that is included in Part�*2 of the list referred to in section�*303EB, and the person is reckless as to that fact; and
(c) the specimen does not belong to a native species; and
(d) either:
(i) the specimen was unlawfully imported; or
(ii) the specimen was not imported, but any of the specimens of which it is the progeny was unlawfully imported.
Penalty: Imprisonment for 5 years or 1,000 penalty units, or both.
(7) Subsection�*(6) does not apply if the defendant has a reasonable excuse.
Note: The defendant bears an evidential burden in relation to the matter in subsection�*(7) (see subsection 13.3(3) of the Criminal Code).
Unlawfully imported
(8 ) For the purposes of this section, a specimen is unlawfully imported if, and only if, it was imported, but was not lawfully imported (section�*303GY).

Uhh yea I have got fly screens but I like to eat and BBQ outside once in a while without flys landing on my food when I leave it for a split second.

Cris,

If you look at the list, you will see that the reptiles you can import can only be imported for a specific use (zoos, research etc.)

Cane Toads were imported as a Biological Control, not for pets.

And as for axolotyls, they may have been imported legally, but you would need to show that they were legally imported.

I'm not saying that anyone with a Cane Toad or an axolotyl is gonna get busted and charged, I'm just pointing out what the law actually says.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back