Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just received the following email from Dave Barker in the USA. I think the implications are self explanatory ...

" I've never before sent an email out to everyone in my contacts list, but never before has there been such need.

A proposed law, identified as "S 373", as currently written will end possession, transport, and commerce for all pythons and boas in the USA. This law will immediately put Tracy and I out of business and destroy all that we have accomplished working with pythons and boas in our careers. The bill will be voted on by the committee tomorrow, so this is very last minute and urgent.

Today is the last day we can get emails or calls in to the committee, the media, and the White House, and request that they stop, or at least amend this unfounded and insane law, written and supported by the HSUS, a rabid animal-rights group.

Below is a message from USARK, the national organization that represents and supports reptile keepers and their rights. We are asking for you to read the message and then do any of the three actions listed. At least send off the two emails (one to the White House and one to the media), very easy and quick to do if you click on the two links provided.

Look at the list of senators on the committee. If any are from your state, then please call him/her and ask that this bill not be passed. It will confiscate property rights from Americans, destroy small businesses, destroy one of the most successful conservation projects ever accomplished by private citizens, and cause millions of animals to be destroyed.

Tracy and I are in disbelief that this has come to pass. We are asking you to please help with our cause.

Thank you,

Dave Barker"

Scary stuff. We urgently need to form a representative group here in Australia to protect our rights as reptile keepers and remedy many of the rediculous inconsistencies that already exist between our various States in Australia.

Thats rough, totally agree that we probably need a representative group of interested parties in our country to prevent stuff like this happening here...

That is such ashame,as Dave-Tracy have been in this hobby for 30+ years and has breed thousands of snakes,it will hit them really hard,plus the thousands of others in the hobby.So did this just happen overnight so to speak,or did they no about this months ago,i hope the end decision turns in favour for them...MARK

This move from the american government has been known of for more than a year. The difference between the business in America and the hobby in Australia is that everything, or any legal animals for that matter is licensed. Totally different situations. This law concerns Pythons and Boas, and their escape risk to native animals. I highly doubt that we would have an issue like this ever. Unless exotic pythons escape in their hundreds. The biggest issue that I can see in a couple of years would be the escape of jags into suburban Brisbane, can you imagine the effect it would have on the local carpet python population. Wild pythons with nervous system issues! Not good.

Probably wouldn't happen here in Oz for the fact the government departments, especially the ones here in Victoria, make a small killing from us! Plus, the banning the keeping of snakes here would also push whatever blackmarket trade even "further" underground and promote an ever increasing influx of exotics into the country! And why wouldn't it...if they become illegal, then who the hell cares what you're keeping! It's like robbing a bank these days, you'll get the same time as murder so you might as well take a few out as you leave - silly stuff! Banning things only make them more desirable!

Surely this "ban" over in the States has happened for a reason? There is always a story in the press about wild exotic populations or 18ft long escaped pets. Something about beds and lying in them??

Arent there already organisations in Australia that would like to see reptile keeping banned?
Would this give them enough ammo to get the ball rolling.?
I like Nicole and Lukes posts as they are more optimistic.
Nah, it could never happen here, surely.

Wasnt there a small child killed not long ago by a Boa? Could that have something to do with it ..maybe ?
Its very sad, why all of a sudden have they decided to ban them?

".373 and recommending that the legislation be amended to ban the importation and trade of all nine large constrictor snake species considered invasive or potentially invasive in the United States, including the Burmese python.
“The threat posed by the Burmese python and other large constrictor snakes is evident. The Burmese python population estimate is now in the thousands—putting at risk a variety of threatened and endangered species and harming the Everglades ecosystem,” Secretary Salazar wrote, emphasizing that the Burmese python and other constrictors threaten the future of America’s great outdoors. “The Department is working with many partners to address the significant challenges posed by the invasive Burmese python and other large constrictor snakes.”
The Burmese python, a large exotic snake, is well-established in the Everglades. Everglades National Park, Big Cypress National Preserve and the Water Conservation Areas represent the core areas of the python infestation.
Among the world’s most effective predators, pythons are having negative impacts on native species in the Everglades ecosystem, and can potentially threaten other areas. Because of the serious threat posed by pythons, the National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), and the U.S. Geological Survey, along with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the South Florida Water Management District, and many other partners are actively engaged in a large variety of potential python control efforts."

Seems to be targeting invasive, exotic species and for good reason...

Yes, heard about something similar in Canada earlier this year. In the states, it is obviously a gross overreaction to the situation in the Everglades. Completely the wrong way to go. A ban now will not fix the problem in Florida. They do need to have a look at the Australian system. I firmly believe a licensing system coupled with a bit of mandatory education would go a long way to levelling out their exotics problem. Granted, we do not have the same exotics problem here (at least not officially due to the laws regarding exotics) as the states, I can see a point in severely restricting at least the very large constrictor species. May come down to having to cut off a foot to save the leg for the American Herp community.

Not sure what is happening with the national herp association proposed by John Weigel at the S&T expo. Something like that, having the combined voices of the herp community across the country united, is the only way we we stand a chance of keeping something like this from happening here in Australia.

.... The biggest issue that I can see in a couple of years would be the escape of jags into suburban Brisbane, can you imagine the effect it would have on the local carpet python population. Wild pythons with nervous system issues! Not good.

hahahaha, but so true. At least whilst jags are valuable people will take great care not to let them escape, but what about all those fugly sibs?

......... This law concerns Pythons and Boas, and their escape risk to native animals. I highly doubt that we would have an issue like this ever. .......

I kinda thought that too. Everybody will have their own speculation and rumours but Florida is under serious threat from the exotic burmese python. If they have similar pest infestations in other areas of the States, and no doubt there would be, I can understand them wanting to take action. IMO, though, and I am not politically minded but banning the keeping of pythons and boa's won't solve their problems. Getting tougher with their licensing and perhaps banning further breeding and import of exotics into the States might work better. But of course there will always be ppl who will go underground to continue breeding and selling exotics. So perhaps the authorities should work with their reptile enthusiasts to encourage them to help protect their native species rather than printing new laws on paper and slapping fines on ppl. Perhaps zoos and universities could propose special circumstances or offer a reward for ppl to hand over their exotic collections.

Would be a sad case Jason :( All those animals have to be euthanised? That's awful. They could export them back to their native land - like they do with ppl.

Would be a sad case Jason :( All those animals have to be euthanised? That's awful. They could export them back to their native land - like they do with ppl.

98% of them would be very non natural variations.... deep down I would rather it be illegal to keep snakes, and only those who dare flaunt with the law keep them, like in the good old days when only those who were really keen on herps kept them and everything was swapped, not sold.

The way I see it, the invasion of exotic species into local ecosystems is a real problem and has to be addresed. However, there are groups that are dedicated to stopping the keeping of "wildlife" in captivity. Problems like the python invasion of the Everglades in the USA create opportunities for these groups to further their cause (rather than a scientific based rational response). One strategy of these groups is to get jobs in Government to manipulate the system for their own objectives.

Some have suggested that the situation is Australia is completely different and it won't happen here. Having spent over a decade on Government advisory committees and Boards, I strongly disagree. The move is on in Australia and the pressure is on Governments from within. I believe it is only a matter of time until our rights to enjoy reptiles are seriously eroded. A couple of months ago I flew to Sydney and met with a number of well established herpers because of this threat that we were all seeing.

I strongly believe there needs to be a national representative group to support reptile keepers and it needs to happen sooner than later. The problem is that we are so tribal in our structure and culture - we tend to form into groups that support each other and criticise others. The national group truly needs to be representative and to have the confidence of the whole hobby. I believe it should consist of a representative from each State with an elected Chairperson and enough funding to have an Executive Officer and legal support.

I don't think the funding will be difficult, the difficulty will be is overcoming the tribalism and forming a cohesive group with broad majority support.

However, I do think it is important and do think the urgency is growing. For my part, I am getting old and will be winding down my herp interests in the next couple of years - for the new enthusiasts to our wonderful hobby, I think you are the ones that will feel the brunt of the global trends in over regulation fuelled by extremist groups that are already effecting the pet landscape in Australia.

Ppl from my local herp group have talked about a National Association that was suppose to be already being discussed. Haven't heard anything recently but I might see if I can find out what's happening and if anymore has been done to get it moving.

Simon that is really sad to have to think of. But I certainly would help with such an organisation to keep our hobbies safe. I am not politically minded, my own business failed and I am considered quite a blonde but if its another vote in our favour, like Homer says, I'LL DO IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back