Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soundfix

Reaction score
Hi, I am relatively new here, though i have a load of questions, i was hoping to get some informed responces.
Firstly, is there any foolproof way to know when a snake is sleeping.Does anyone know about a snakes consious state, whilst half/sleep or, asleep ?Would they dream?
Secondly,Massaging snakes. After my small pythons have a large feed,the next day, it seems that by gently massaging the stomach,where the bulk is it brings comfort..After that i usually stretch there back a little,they really seem to like it, and hold still whilst this is done.On most occasions,this gentle massage and stretching, briings on the need to poo.Its really handy, to get your snake to poo on cue, and in no way is the exercise, painful or straining -could this be dangerous in any way at all? Ive read that stretching your snake does no harm and have always done this.
I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced, this pooing while being massaged.I mean it makes sense that it helps to ease constipation, but i really wouldnt want to be doind my snakes harm.Any words are appreciated.Thanks

i dont know about the massaging and stretching, but when its about poop time, i take them out on the grass and give them a tickle near the bum end with a bit of grass or whatever. that usually makes them poo on cue for me, and saves some horrible tank cleanups lol.

After that i usually stretch there back a little,they really seem to like it, and hold still whilst this is done.On most occasions,this gentle massage and stretching, briings on the need to poo.Its really handy, to get your snake to poo on cue, and in no way is the exercise, painful or straining -could this be dangerous in any way at all? Ive read that stretching your snake does no harm and have always done this.
Can you explain exactly what/how you stretch you snake?
As far as pooing, same as barbed_wire, take em on the grass in the sun a few days after a feed and they'll seems to work their rear end on the grass and 'massage' out a poo.

...oh and sleeping. Dunno a sure fire way but if me walking up to the cage doesn't get a response I can assume they're asleep. I assume their eyes are always alert though as few slow movements in front of them soon gets a tongue flicker and head movement as they wake up I guess.

My spotted python will always flick her tongue when I go to check on her. If she doesn't do this then she's asleep. I guess you could gently poke the snake to see if it's awake... mine usually jump if they're asleep when I poke them. Just be prepared to get bitten if they get scared too much! :lol:

Haha yeh if my guy is asleep when I wake him he gets a massive fright now I just leave him be till he is awake

PS.Age for hissing?

One of my snakes will lay still even up to point of me covering her with my hand(see in picture gall),The stretching is just gentle, letting her take the the slack while climbing.then without pulling holding firmly whilst she slides out of my hand..Good for building strength, but she poos almostb evrytime,!!
PS.Ive never heard either of these coastals hiss yet.Is there a certain age when they do this, or without striking or getting agressive, they wont hiss?

Last edited:
My snakes hiss all the time and theyre all yearlings especially my jungle but hes only ever bit me once

you stretch your snake?? and it likes it??

by the way 'pooing" is a stress responce and is probably induced by messing round with the poor snake pulling and stretching it

My boy poos about 2 - 3 days after a feed, and I never touch him during that time, it just all seems to happen naturally. If I think he's "asleep" I never "poke" him, I just gently touch his back and give it a little stroke so there's no sudden movement. I know someone who uses a small paint brush to gently touch his snake and wake it up. All gentle movements means the snake is never startled. Between times when I have him out, he often lies against my body and I stroke (massage) him and he seems to like that and doesn't seem to want to move. I sometimes put him on different surfaces to move around on, that gives his muscles something different to do and gives him new smells to explore, which I think is probably good for him. I like to give him different subtle simulations from time to time. My boy is a 2 yr old Stimmie.

Poo easy

Thankyou Grannie annie, yer my little pythons lay very still when they are getting a massage, due to being housed i think they enjoy the 'feeling' and i like to put them on my small banksia tree and let them climb.I love them.:D Was hoping for a more thourough explanation as to a snakes sleep cycle ect.seems like an elusive topic.My pythons dont move at all, when being touched,alseep or awake.I have noticed the female likes to lay with her head flopped resting.It is then that i think shes sleeping.?/Not sure.

Last edited:
You shouldn't handle your snakes for 36-48 hours after feeding, especially in that specific area where the food is digesting!
It can cause problems with digestion, pain, and regurgitation. The pooing reflex is not a good thing, it's a sign of stress to the body. Let him poo on his own, or soak him for a little if you think he might be constipated after a few weeks. Just because they don't move doesn't mean they are always relaxed, some just let you move them how they want even if it causes discomfort or pain.

Stretching can be dangerous because you can potentially dislocate their spine.

Sleeping isn't really easy to tell because they don't have eyelids, so it's just assumed when they're not moving around, they're sleeping. It's pretty safe to say that they are sleeping most of the hours of the day.

Look at the snakes pupils when you are approaching the cage.. I find that when I wake up my olive that the pupils increase in size, possibly as when they are smaller it reduces the amount of light being absorbed in there eyes which might make a more peaceful snooze..well, thats my theory haha

I leave my snakes alone for at least 3 days after a meal. I will encourage them to poo after a week if they look very full (significant bulging near cloaca). I encourage by running my hands down their length and letting them have a crawl on the grass. If they are ready to go, they do. I've got a Bredl who can save up a LOT, so it's safest to take her outside when she gets near the bursting point. She let loose on my son once and it wasn't pretty! :shock: (I really should have grabbed the camera before the paper towels...)

That must have been an awful mess Pythonmum! I love bredli though, I'm saving up for a hypo :D

Hey python mum, yer thats basically what i do, and they seem to poo.They also poo at inconveient times, -after many mums of my neighbours little boy wanting to hold my python- and i talked up the good side to owning snakes (she was terrified,)but gave in and let litle Joshua hold him.The kid loved it, the snake was being quite still, and then allof a sudden, the poo shooting took place and not only saturated little Josh's shirt and arm,but a little 'juice' had gotten on the mum s leg.I have also been hit-demonstating the beauty of my snake to a bunch of kids, when it crapped all down my arm.And it was kinda like cement to get of!

Firstly, is there any foolproof way to know when a snake is sleeping.Does anyone know about a snakes consious state, whilst half/sleep or, asleep ?

Usually they will conceal their head within their coils.

If their head is exposed, then have a look at the eyes. They will close their pupils until they are a very thin vertical slit. Closing the pupils shuts out light, so the thinner the pupils, the less light is let in.

hi guys
thank you for your graphic and honest posts lol
We are just waiting for our licence to come through and will be picking up our first snake...a lovely little Jungle python.
So....food in....three days or so and ...food out
This is good to know......as I guess we go past three days and I need to be aware there could be a problem.

Snake poo is something nobody ever talks about...and I must say you never see snake poo in the enclosures at the zoo...well at least hubby and I havent. So I guess that means they know when to clean the cages....which technically I should be able to plan to do as well if i feed the same time each time I feed....

Mind you....since when did logic work with animals lol

Regards

Elizabeth

There is no need to become worried if your snake doesn't deficate after 3 days since it's meal. My pythons generally take 5-6 days until the meal comes out the other end, and they are in complete good health.

Have fun and enjoy your animal, also post some pictures when you get it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back