Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tys-mart

Reaction score
i :p am looking to buy my first snake but my mum is affraid of them i started to look at childrens pythons but then i was informed about stimsons and thought they would be the way to go

if anyone has any further info on the best snake for a first snake please inform me

regards
tys-mart :?:

There are loads of first snake threads, if you look in the search you will find them.

I have a mac and think that's a great first snake, but everyone has different opinions, and loads of snakes are good first ones!

My opinion is that Chrildreni's would be the way to go. But then I also think Diamonds are the way to go and Coastals etc etc. It depends on what you will be keeping it in. I believe that a hatchy is a great first snake especially if you have never even been around reptiles before. If you can put up with a few nips for a week or 2 you'll be laughing.

My first snake was a stimmie he is a wonderful snake and a great handler, so i dont think you would be dissapointed with a hatchling stimme but again this is all up to you... :D

Remember a few things. The size the snake will grow to. How much you will have to feed it (size dependant) little snake smaller feeds - bigger snake bigger feeds.

Re: RE: best snake for 1st snake

shamous1 said:
My opinion is that Chrildreni's would be the way to go. But then I also think Diamonds are the way to go and Coastals etc etc. It depends on what you will be keeping it in. I believe that a hatchy is a great first snake especially if you have never even been around reptiles before. If you can put up with a few nips for a week or 2 you'll be laughing.

I am getting myself an enclosure together for my first pet snake. i have all the above on my wishlist, dont know what to get. But using some maddness methods, if I get my diamond first, my hubby said he will build a bigger enclosure when it needs it. That will mean i'll have an empty tank for something else...hehehe....but if and when I'm ready for a second one, it will have to be one that can stay forever in the tank I have now, so most likely opt for the stimsons.

RE: Re: RE: best snake for 1st snake

I was suggested childrens pythons when i was buying my first snake because they're pretty small. But IMO the ones that i've seen have all been snappy. (but then again i havn't seen that many reps in my lifetime).

RE: Re: RE: best snake for 1st snake

All Hatchlings are usually snappy but with the right amont of handling and care they turn into beautiful and gentle snakes, I say get a childrens.... :D

tys-mart said:
i :p am looking to buy my first snake but my mum is affraid of them i started to look at childrens pythons but then i was informed about stimsons and thought they would be the way to go

if anyone has any further info on the best snake for a first snake please inform me

regards
tys-mart :?:

mate if you can get a red naped snake, they are very small and beautiful and have a good temperament. technically, they are venomous, but they don't attack, they are very small and placid, and i don't think that they could harm humans. it is a shame we can't import reptiles into Aus, corn snakes are ideal beginners pets.
try getting a colubrid, you will find them easier to handle. some of the pythons are a bit 'full on' for a beginner.

RE: Re: best snake for 1st snake

im getting a mac soon
cant wait to get it, it will be my first snake too

Best Substrate???

Hey,
i am soon to be owner of a juvenile childrens python, i was just think wat to use as a substrate, i have heard news papper but it isnt the most elegant option, if any one ahs suggestions they will be much apreciated.
Thanx, Jay.

RE: Best Substrate???

You have marine grade carpet @ $28 metre bunnings, Buyers choice recycled paper pellets, Recycled wood pellets. Paper is definitely the cheapest.

If you have one or two snakes go for marine grade carpet. If you intend on geting a whole lot - go paper.

Childrens can be a bit snappy, so i am a fan of the diamond but they do grow bigger and cost more... the main thing is if you go for a childrens BE REALLY SURE ITS EATING!! That has to be the biggest problem with them.
The best stuff on the floor is marine carpet, the stuff without rubber backing, more absorbent than newspaper and doesnt bunch up.

RE: Best Substrate???

only suggesting these as they are nice and easy going for a beginner...you don't want to end up with a cranky carpet snake :)
disclaimer - obviously carpets rock...just maybe hard work for a beginner :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back