Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be very sceptical, 4m I can believe as I saw one at Mt Mee that was well over 10 feet long but 5.5 metres I can't believe. To me it's no different to the 15 metre Reticulated Pythons and Anacondas. Someone sees a huge snake and they guestimate it's size and are usually well off the mark.

Hornet,
We are talking about extreme sizes here.
Keep in mind that it is very rare whether in the wild or captivity for a carpet to reach these lengths. Captive animals usually are larger than their wild counterparts (when comparing 2 identical aged snakes) but may not live as long as some wild animals, and as a snake never stops growing these longer living animals are going to be larger than the shorter lived ones. Also these days we have more predators, habitat destruction & natural killings that don't allow many animals to live long enough to reach these sizes (reason it is so rare).

No one can really say they don't exist just because we haven't seen one that size. There is millions of kilometers of untouched bush and habitat and we are still discovering and naming new species everyday. Who can sit there and say it is not possible is dreaming as anything is possible. Who has seen a twelve foot integrade before? But there is the proof in the pic. Same as scrubbies, I have a mate who lives in cairns who regularly sees scrubs over 20 feet. He is near dense rainforest that is impenitrable by people. He knows they are roughly that big as he measrues them out along the fence lines they move along. I for one, have never seen a scrub that big, the biggest is around 16ft. Who is to say they don't get to 28 feet like old reported sightings suggest. JMO.

Well I agree that theoretically it must be considered possible as it is theoretically possible that there could be 15 metre Retics :lol:
My point is that without fail these monster snakes when actually measured seem to have lost a considerable amount of length.

And any sympathetic property owners aren't going to say much about them either, if they value the animals and are happy to just know they're there. This intergrade was caught on condition it's details could be recorded and then it was to be returned to the property from which it came, but the "let's keep it now" argument came up, and it was only at the forceful insistence of the property owner that it was returned to where it came from. Very disappointing that it even became an issue.

J.

Don't tell me people are doubting an unsubstantiated report of a ridiculously large snake! :shock: Surely I've misread some of these posts! People don't exaggerate snake lengths, we all know that by now, don't we? Surely the very largest reported snake sizes are genuine! It's even in a newspaper - in [i[print[/i]; it's not possible for it to be untrue.

Elapid68: I think you need glasses, the general public is obviously much better at judging snake lengths than you are. The largest tiger snake I've heard of was 14' - your puny little 6' worms are nothing and I bet yours aren't the ones which turn into brown snakes every summer either! The reports of tiger snake/carpet python hybrids are in print too, and some of the local councils have warned residents about them... the government never gets anything wrong and they never lie to us, so don't go telling me the tiger carpets don't exist...

I went fishing last week...

Next someone is going to tell me that politicians can't be trusted! :shock:

93% of what you read and hear is complete garbage, but only about 4% of people seem to realise it. 96% of statistics are falsified and by now you're probably about 98% ready to stop reading this post.

:p

boa said:
Well I agree that theoretically it must be considered possible as it is theoretically possible that there could be 15 metre Retics :lol:
My point is that without fail these monster snakes when actually measured seem to have lost a considerable amount of length.

LOL boa, no arguement there. Most snakes measurements are much more than the actual animal, especially those held in captivity.

I think we'd all like to think there are monsters out there... but... I did actually see that intergrade the night it came into the North Coast Herp Group meeting (when the photo was taken), but it is hard to visualise a carpet bigger than that. It obviously had a ready source of food, rabbits, bandicoots, possums or wallabies, and didn't have to work hard for it's tucker - it was very fat. If I recall it was recorded as the heaviest carpet known to that time (2002) at over 22kg. Looked like a Burm in the bag!

J.

are there anymore shots of that massive intergrade?

boa said:
Politicians can't be trusted ??????????

Of course they can, saying otherwise is as ridiculous as saying people exaggerate things. We live in a world of integrity, every human being is 100% honest, reliable and trustworthy. No one exaggerates for the sake of gaining attention or awe, that would be bad, but people are good. Can I borrow some money? I will pay you back...

Why would they say the area is known for having large carpets, when not far away in the bunya mountains snakes 3.5m and over are common.

No one has said they take it as fact, but to me there seems to be more pointing towards there being larger than average carpets in the area. Even if over 5.5m is an exageration i think it would be fair to assume that there were some very big snakes in the area well over 4m.

Why is a snake that is about 35% longer than what has been recorded in the very limited percentage of snakes offically measured ridiculously large?

Many books i have it says that A. maculosus only get up to 4 foot yet it is fairly common knowledge now that they can get over 1/3 bigger than that in northern populations. Is being a differant genus reason to think an animal 1/3 longer than that recorded is unreasonable?

wen i was at the bunya mounts i saw a decent sized carpet, probably almost 3m but that was a few years back b4 i was into herps

JandC_Reptiles said:
May be possible, 4.3m coastals have been recorded.

I can't see why a 5 or 5.5m would never of existed.
May not be a regular occurance but not imposible imo so long as there was an abundance of food items & perfect weather conditions for them. Would be a very old snake though & chances are predators & natural selection would eliminate most animals from reaching these lengths & ages.

im not saying that they cant existe but you here a lot of storys about how big things are but when you ask for some proof they all ways say i have lost it or didnt have a camera or some thing like that or when some one else checks the length its all ways a lot smaller than what they said.

so unless there is some real proof most storys are a load of crap....imo

Plenty of 8-10' tiger snakes around where I live. One monster was measured at 12' 4" back in 1986 only 500 metres from where I was living at the time, unfortunately it was road kill :cry:

Plenty of 8-10' tiger snakes around where I live. One monster was measured at 12' 4" back in 1986 only 500 metres from where I was living at the time, unfortunately it was road kill
wow cool, are you sure it wasnt a carpet tiger hybrid? or are you actually being serious? :lol:

No no, I'm serious. They grow quite large around here and being in the Melbourne area, there aren't any Carpets to hybridise with anyway. Near a swamp about 15km for here someone killed a 16' 7" tiger snake after it killed his dogs back in 1994, the dead snake was viewed and measured by many people and the length is not in doubt, but some claim it was actually a brown snake.

No no, I'm serious. They grow quite large around here and being in the Melbourne area, there aren't any Carpets to hybridise with anyway. Near a swamp about 15km for here someone killed a 16' 7" tiger snake after it killed his dogs back in 1994, the dead snake was viewed and measured by many people and the length is not in doubt, but some claim it was actually a brown snake.
Thats nothing i saw a 10m blind snake(unsure of species) eating cars then a varanus panoptes that stood 5m high when on all fours came and ate it. This all happend at the park accross the road and down the street although some ppl say that it was actually a v. gouldii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back