"BLACK PRINCESS" The Hypermelanistic Darwin Carpet python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She was collected in the Northern Territory by a snake relocation company called Snakes NT. They are not around anymore. They also found a second one that was killed on the road. This snake was sold for $25000 about 5 or 6 years ago. I remember the conversation with the then owner of the company and he could not believe somebody would pay that much for a snake. Needless to say, we would have bought it if it was still available. I think we missed out by a month.

Ive always wondered for example im out bush walking and come across an albino or some amazing new reptile morph are there actual legal channels one can go through to get it on licence, im not talking about dodgin up false paper work or anything along those lines i mean actual legal procedure to secure a new morph for future breeding.
As i doubt someone who found such an animal would just keep on walking.

Ive always wondered for example im out bush walking and come across an albino or some amazing new reptile morph are there actual legal channels one can go through to get it on licence, im not talking about dodgin up false paper work or anything along those lines i mean actual legal procedure to secure a new morph for future breeding.

Not usually no. I know of at least one wild albino captured that had to be released.

Who'd bother? seriously, in the excitement you'd just grab it. getting it on paper is easy enough! I know this sounds bad, but its exactly what 99% of herpers would do. imagine finding the first pure albino diamond for example, taking a few pictures and continuing on walking... haha, it just wouldn't happen!

Not usually no. I know of at least one wild albino captured that had to be released.

I saw the story on an albino squirel that was released, im sure he was happy in his 10 seconds of freedom before an eagle plucked his white a.s.s off the ground.

So true Jase, and being albinos they'd more than likely end up dead in the wild soon enough anyway so it's win win lol.

i was told about 15 years ago by a snake demonstrator that his buddy was fishing on a river bank and a snake swam over towards him and up the bank.
The fisho grabbed a branch and bludgened the snake to death and then thought he might aswell take it home, he asked the snake demonstrator to come over and ID it...................much to john's dissapointment and horror it was infact an albino carpet python.

donks

If Snakeranch wanted the project to go public they would have done so already, speculating on a public forum will hardly produce any reliable information.

Cheers

Regaurdless of wether the snake is able to breed or not, I think we can all understand how much time a morelia project can take (unless it's co-dom). It's not as simple as growing everything fast and breeding it at 18months like yoiu can do easily with womas and antaresia.

If it was being used to produce snows thats two projects, get homo 'blacks' (alternativley you could just bred albino x original black but you'd want to figure out the genetics first I assume), then double het albino/black, then it's only a 1/16 for a snow. Takes lots of time. If you wanted to produce 'snows' and had that animal, you wouldn't release the 'blacks' until you had the 'snows' as it gives everyone else the tools to make them.

For the record Snows are created from Albino and axanthic genetics combining to produce a albino that has no yellow pigment , ie looks white all over with pink eyes.
It is a combination of these 2 recessive colour traits that is called a Snow Morph .

The Black princess is a Hyper melanistic carpet python.
Albino genes would remove all the black pigment leaving orange or yellow pigments .
The combination of albino and hyper melanism should produce one solid colour without any pattern..
cheers
Roger

attachment.php

This is a very exciting pairing (pure variegata) we are awaiting eggs from:.
The male is mostly orange with yellow and the female is very dark brown, almost black.
"Xanthism" x "Melanism".............eggciting times ahead:)

The combination of albino and hyper melanism should produce one solid colour without any pattern..
cheers
Roger

How do you figure that? Wouldn't the snake still be white and yellow with orange also possibly present?

How do you figure that? Wouldn't the snake still be white and yellow with orange also possibly present?

Not if the hyper is genetic.

A albino hyper would be all one colour IMO , its just a matter of guessing which colour .
It could be solid orange or maybe solid lavender .
If you look at the head pattern on most darwins the colour is mostly black ,
but then in the albino form the head pattern is usually orangy coloured and sometimes a bit of lavender also.
But the lavender tends to fade with size and age, leaving the head pattern that orangy colour.
I could be wrong, its just my opinion.
Roger

Not if the hyper is genetic.

A albino hyper would be all one colour IMO , its just a matter of guessing which colour .
It could be solid orange or maybe solid lavender .
If you look at the head pattern on most darwins the colour is mostly black ,
but then in the albino form the head pattern is usually orangy coloured and sometimes a bit of lavender also.
But the lavender tends to fade with size and age, leaving the head pattern that orangy colour.
I could be wrong, its just my opinion.
Roger

I agree..... it depends on 'how many' of the colours are hyper....... & then which the next strongest is to mask out the others..... I hopefully will do it with the Blueys this year..... I am itching to see this question put to bed !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back