Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression that Vic. pythons were generally M.s.Metcalfei.(murray darling carpet)or(inland carpet).
Or is that futher south in Victoria.
Grey and black are the main colours i have seen in these guy's.
Please let me know if i am wrong.
Am trying to work it all out.
Because i always thought there was
M.S.Variegeta(northen western carpets)
M.S.Cheynei(jungles etc.)
M.S.Macdowellii(coastel carpets)
M.S.Spilota(diamonds)
M.S.Metcalfei(inland carpets)
M.S.Imbricata(W.A. carpets)
That is of course in the Morelia spilota species.

i think afro means on our licences and stuff all coastals are called morelia spilota variegata - for eg when i just got my brissy she is labelled a variegata rather than a mcdowelli or whatever lol - variegata is easier to remember too! :D

In Vic ALL species of carpets (Mcdowelli, Metcalfei, Cheynei etc) are licenced as Variegata. Many years ago ALL these species were scientifically named Variegata in Australia. Thank heavens they decided to re-classify them into their chosen sub-species list even if Victoria is behind in the times :p

Oh yer.See what ya mean.
I do think it should change though.
Each sub species to their own title.
At least that way you sort of know what sub-species of snake you have or if you are looking at buying or selling you know where the general regions are that they came from.
Although there are some variations in most sub-species aswell so it could get confusing that way i spose.
Still I think it should be individualized though as they all have their own sort of colours and markings.

think brissy's is too general area to really break down and it comes down to location rather then anything else. you will most likely find that different states have different names, brisbane probably breaking them up the most as they are easier to get (just guessing)

Craig23,
Your assumptions make a lot of sense to me, I think you have hit the nail on the head with regards to the mountain dwelling carpets and colour, it goes that way for alot of mountain dwelling reptiles.

I think the problem comes in when you have so many people keeping and breeding the subspecies, alot aren't bothered which locality there McDowelli came from as long as it breeds with there other one, so what you have gotten over many years are probably a hell of alot of mixed locality Mcdowelli, nothing wrong with that, but personally I would prefer to buy from someone who had done alot of research into there snakes localities and know where the parents , grandparents came from etc..
Even then, nothings guaranted !

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back