Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rem286

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking at purchasing my first snake. Am after something small possibly a Stimsons or Pygmy python. Are these a good snake for a beginner? Also are they readily available as hatchlings?

lots of stimmies hatchies. there will be lots forsale in a couple of months. pygmy pythons arent that common and hatchies are normally offered by word of mouth not advertised

You can go wrong with any of the Antaresia species, Pleasure to own usally very settled snakes but the are the odd exception.
You wont like the price tag on Perthensis and they arent that common in captivity
as yet.

I chose a Stimson's as my first snake after 25 years of not keeping snakes and, 3 months later, I am still very happy with that choice. I'm not convinced that a Pygmy python (Antaresia perthensis) would be a good choice. If you live in a state where it can be licenced, you may have difficulty finding one for sale, it would be very expensive for a first snake and, because not many are in captivity yet, quality husbandry and veterinary advice and assistance might be harder to find than for a Stimson's.

go for a stimson,they dont grow much bigger than pygmys,much much easier to get and way cheaper(bout quarter the price of a pygmy)

If your thinking of a small snake we have a blonde spotted python, He is almost 11 months and has never shown a nasty streak at all, he is very comfortable being handled..
Cheers
P9180049.jpg

Ive heard that spotteds are great but if your after something a bit bigger then go for a bredli

womas are good from what ive heard from people if you could spare a bit more money. =P but i dont disagree when people say that spotteds are good. theyre excellent =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back