Cage Defensive.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xXExplodexX

Reaction score
My 12 months girl Jungle Carpet python is cage defensive i cannot put my hand in the cage to get the water bowl. She strikes 5-20 times. She is feeding well and is a good handler now. I used to get 10-12 tags by her. I feed her out of her enclosure. What are some ways i can make her stop from cage defensive or is there no hope ?

If shes like a pair i have here,stock up on the band-aids...Ive got a 2year old female-3year old male and they just love tagging me everytime i open there cages..ive tryed a few different technics however nothing has worked..so ive gotta put up with it and get tagged...Mine feed well also...if its not a rat,its my bloody arm-hand..

Snake hook but I personally woudnt use one

- - - Updated - - -

Also try slowing your movements down remember sudden moevment = strike

On Christmas day I had crabs and prawns on my hands and went to grab one of the more bitey jungles and she didn't bite so I use seafood if that helps

..ive tryed a few different technics however nothing has worked..
I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful. However, without actually stipulating the failed techniques, the information value of your post is ZERO.

Try placing a pillow slip or snake bag over your hand and see how you go. (At worst, you won’t be on the receiving end as often.)

Blue

I had a scrubby that was very bitey (who knew hey)... I found that slowing down my movements only gave him a better look at what he was looking to bite, and when walking past his enclosure, it was done at a normal speed, so should all movements when placing limbs in the enclosure. I used normal speed, deliberate movements and he soon stopped tracking me ( reasons unknown but it worked for me ) I also used and continue to use a hook, which can upset him if he doesn't want to be picked up, but it gives a bit more room for error. If when attempting to hook him (Hannibal) and he looks like he's not in a good mood, I leave him for an hour or two. This technique of reading his behaviour before attempting to interact with him, seems to have saved me from losing copious amounts of blood.... I also allow him to venture from his enclosure before hooking and handling which works pretty well....

I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful. However, without actually stipulating the failed techniques, the information value of your post is ZERO.

Try placing a pillow slip or snake bag over your hand and see how you go. (At worst, you won’t be on the receiving end as often.)

Blue

I no what im talking about ive been in this hobby for 4days now,i no everything..lol..Well ive tryed hooks-slower movements-ANYTHING that moves near them they strike..ive keeped alot of snakes of years and the majority calm down..but these 2 arnt getting any better...OBVIUOSLY with the warmer weather they are just DEMONS....A jungle i had years ago was like this however he calmed down and tolerated being handled at times,this pair are simply not getting better..I dont handle my snakes except to clean etc..

I find with my Coastal (who can be a little overzealous having a go at you) if I distract her with a NICE CARDBOARD ROLL in front of her face I can pick her up - failing that I wait until she explores the roll then pick the whole thing up with her in it.

I read about people having cage defensive Jungles all the time I must have gotten lucky :eek: (I got my first snake about 2 months ago.. 18mth old jungle, breeder said it was a bad plan as she was super bitey)

I guess the only advice I could give would be persistence I'm sure she will snap out of the behavior eventually :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back