Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice collection, Fuscus! I've added your site to my favourites! :)

In my humble (uneducated) opinion, it largely depends on what you want to do with the photos. I have a 3 megapixel digital that does a pretty good job, especially for web use and casual printing. It has a good macro capability, but only 3 x optical zoom (I NEVER use digital zoom - that can be done on the computer later!).

However, if you want really good quality photos, you can't beat a reasonable quality SLR film camera..... unless you can afford a 6 megapixel or higher digital or pro standard camera.

Digital, again in my opinion, is rapidly approaching the quality of film, although a high resolution camera is still far too expensive for me. When digital is of a higher resolution, it is actually superior to film in some ways. For example, there's no grain in the image. This is particularly noticable when scanning a photo for cropping/editing. (Yeah, all right, I should have framed the photos correctly in the first place, so I didn't need to edit, but I'm an amateur. all right?!:)).

Certainly digital has the advantage of ease of use and immediate checking of the results, which allows you to reshoot if necessary, and very low ongoing costs (except for hard disk space). At least with digital you can use my method of getting one or two really good shots - take as many as you can fit on the memory card! That way, you should get at least a couple that turn out ok! :) The hard part is actually deleting the bad ones! That's why I've got several thousand images on my hard disk! :)

Anyway, that's my opinion, for what it's worth!! :wink:

oh yeah, back up your good photos to CD! Ever had a hard disk crash?? Not nice! :shock: :?

I've got a really stupid question regarding taking pictures of herps but I'll ask it anyway :) - Is it bad for them if you use a flash to take the picture? Like does the flash of light "shock" them or anything?

Thanks for all that very usfull info Fuscus and Lutzd.
I know feel a little more confident of going into a shop and having a look around then have someone rattle on in a different language that i would know nothing of.
At least i know what a pixel is now. :D
Thank-you 8)

Hey, Robert, you're welcome! I don't claim to be an expert - just an enthusiastic amateur. Fuscus is the expert here! :)

Tim, I can't see that it would hurt the snake, any more than it would hurt us, as long as you don't overdo it. I've taken lots of flash photos of my babies, and haven't seen any adverse reaction from them, but somebody else may know more.....

ok one question about macros. are they only good for small things or can they also be used for close ups of large things(like the great picture of the coastal carpet).

according to the prices of a good SLR to a good digital i think ill go SLR, but will the price of film and development be more than a digital in the long run?

what is a good brand of camera and where can i get it in darwin

ps. great photos fuscus, how long till u can buy them

PM me if you want some hard copies of the photos (costs money though).
With adigital you don't worry about the cost of film. With uncooperative models (read any animal) proberly about 95% of the photos are useless, with digital the cost doesn't hurt.
If you are interested I have a Nikon F60 film camera with a 35-80 lens that I don't use. Both have been stored for the past two years. I think the going price is $600, I'll swap for some herps to half the price ($300) if you are interested.

Forgot to answer your question re macros. You use a zoom to get close ups of large things. The photo of the carpet imvolved me lying in from of the snake about a meter from it and using the zoom feature of the coolpix-900 to enlarge the head to that size.

ive been doing research and i think ill get a nikon coolpix 4500. acorrding to reveiws it sounds good, but i was wondering about how much it is for the camera,memory and recharger. also is their anything else it needs for reptile photography

Tommo: I'd speak to a few camera stores locally for pricing. If you are lucky enough to find a good camera store, they usually have staff that are enthusiasts themselves, and if they are good, they will spend time with you discussing the technical aspects of the camera in relation to what you want to do.

I suggest you shop around, compare prices and go from there. You can always try bargaining - play one store off against the other. Sometimes they'll throw in a few extras (like camera bag and tripod) to clinch the deal.

When you know all you need to know about what you want to get, you might also consider looking online for bargains. My brother has purchased a lot of camera gear from such sites as Ebay and has had some great deals, but of course you run the risk of a shonky seller. You need to look at their history as a seller and also look at what others have rated them in previous transactions.

..... just a few thoughts that might help .... :)

Fusucus, I remembered this post from 6 months ago, ran a search and lo and behld, I fund it :D

I was wondering how the D100 was going, and if you have any pics from it up where I could have a peek? Was also wondering if you had any thoughts on the D70, or Canon EOS 10D in particular - or any other competetive models. Why did you choose the D100?

Thanks a lot mate! :)

Just thought of something else - does the camera automatically program information (ie shutterspeed, zoom, f-stop etc) into the picture file so you can view it once on your computer?

Have found some good deals (go ebay lol), i'm just having a look at different models etc... if I find myself in the position where I have to much money anytime soon (fingers crossed rofl), then this is up the top of my list..

mum is buying a $1000 digi cam in about to weeks so we got sumthing to take to bali its pretty good very small but it takes a really good photo i got no i dear wat sort of camera it is but i hope to get sum really good pics of monty up soon

http://www.Camerastore.com.au
D70 with 18-70 for $2185

I ordered a video camera from this mob, I ordered it at 3pm, they rang me at 5pm and the courier drlivered it at 9am the next morning.
Another thing to be aware of with the flash digitals is that your computer needs to be up to scratch. Most now require USB2 and a newish version of windows. Also, 6mb pictures mean you need at least a 40gb hard drive and a dvd burner really. So for those like me making do with last milleniums technology :) - faggedaboudit.

who needs a camera????
i'll just bring fuscus with me everywhere i go ;)

Also, 6mb pictures mean you need at least a 40gb hard drive and a dvd burner really

Push the D70 and it is capable of bursts of 140 frames @ 3 frames p/sec. Theres another $800 for a couple of 512 memory cards.

anyone know where i can get a canon a80 fairly cheap ?

the best price ive found so far is 540

hey_im_sam said:
Fusucus, I remembered this post from 6 months ago, ran a search and lo and behld, I fund it :D

I was wondering how the D100 was going, and if you have any pics from it up where I could have a peek? Was also wondering if you had any thoughts on the D70, or Canon EOS 10D in particular - or any other competetive models. Why did you choose the D100?

Thanks a lot mate! :)
The D100 is still going well, but the price has gone up almost $500 since i brought it. Its a heavy camera and its default white balance is a little off but still good. If I am using the long lens, then it needs lots of light else I get grainy photos. Battery life is fantastic. I'll post a few samples for you (I won't post any of the girl photos though, Africa may get a little too excited :wink:) .
All the 6mb cameras use the sony CCD sensor so the difference between the cameras is not much, I have had a good run with nikon and already owed suitable lenses for it.
The camera can store setting info into the image if you ask it nicely.
nuthn2do s comment about extras is a good one, the D100 doesn't even come with a memory card, you have to buy that seperatley.
Maggie - you did well, it took me two months two months to get my camera delivered. You don't really need a DVD burner (though I have got one), A CD burner is fine and only about $50 at the moment
Bryony - everywhere :D :shock:
nuthn2do - I don't know where you buy your computer equipment but I suggest you go somewhere else. My 1 gb Compact flash card cost me less than $400. Try this place http://www.getright.com.au/ 1 gb Compact flash card $349

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back