Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbr0000

Reaction score
im only new to keeping pythons and ive been told a lot of different thing when it comes to keeping them in the same cage together. any help would be great cheers :)

I wouldnt but Ive heard of people that do with no problems, although I dont think someone that keeps pythons together would tell a public forum if cannibalism was to happen. Only time to put snakes together in my opinion is for breeding or when you have them out, supervised of course.

I keep various species together all year round, Jungles, Diamonds, Bredli, Spotteds etc. The only thing is you must watch them when feeding.

Never had a problem keeping them together, Feed separately outside enclosure, and give a little while before returning back to enclosure. This is my method, but not everyones cup of tea.

i keep a jungle & coastal together. they curl up to together. What i want to know is which snakes cant be keept toghether because of cannabislism. I wouldnt leave my scrub python together with my water python.

I keep various species together all year round, Jungles, Diamonds, Bredli, Spotteds etc. The only thing is you must watch them when feeding.

Thats it. I have kept snakes together but have since separated them. If they go for the same meal at the same time they could miss, or go for the same spot, and get the other snake. Also as they tend to curl up with each other, when a snake constricts it is an entire body thing, so if second snake is in a compremised positiion, it gets constricted also (l have tested this on myself, rather impressive the force they use). Also I know it is common for elapids, and I am sure it happens with pythons, that once committed to eating they wont stop just because another snake is at the other end.....so one ends up in the other. Plus I just found it a pain getting them organised to prevent all this stuff. Apart from that they will often live quite happily together.

Ooh, I might keep looking at this thread, planning on housing 2 jungles together in the future...

i keep a jungle & coastal together. they curl up to together. What i want to know is which snakes cant be keept toghether because of cannabislism. I wouldnt leave my scrub python together with my water python.

I think with pythons it might be a size thing if anything. I know elapids are great cannables.
I remember some one showing me a pic of a hatchy that ate another hatchy.

yeah right danial that makes sences. A bigger python will eat a smaller python of a different species. the great thing about keeping pythons together is a reduction in the electricity bill.

IMO as long as they are the same species and roughly the same length.Ive only keeped 2 Darwins together,as they are sisters,they have always been keeped together since hatchie.I keep all my adults separate until breeding time,remember snakes in the wild DONT live together,only coming in contact to mate....Its a personal preference,but if you can just get another cage....Best of luck with your decision...

yeah right danial that makes sences. A bigger python will eat a smaller python of a different species. the great thing about keeping pythons together is a reduction in the electricity bill.

I am pretty sure the hatchy was a sibling. Also the one who ate the other was an Antaresia, so what ever it ate had to be pretty small.

Theres another point, dont want to put two different snakes together that could breed, highly illegal. I wonder how two males would go together. I once looked at a 2yo male MD and Jungle housed together. I wonder if they would combat if another type of female Morelia was in the house. My farmer uncle said that his son's female Bredli would attract the elapids but I think he's just phobic;)

the jungle a hatchy. the coastal a yearling. I think they curl up toghether to reduce the stress of bumping into each other in the dark. i also think they easier to pick because they are used to being touched by other creatures.

hey cause i keep my coastals together (with no problems) should i give extra dimension to the enclosure?

hay just want to say thanks to everyone that replied its been a help. im plaining on getting 2 spotted pythons for my kids as they are a bit scared of my murry darling now shes growen up:) i think im going to pop them in together and watch them for a while but have a spare viv ready thanks again :)

You could do it but I wouldn't. They may be fine for years but things only have to go badly once for it to be a disaster.

That's just stupid, no-one suggests putting different species of different size together.

Pritty much to sum it all up. Yes you can. If you are going to keep the same species together. Eg: Keep jungles with jungles and keep bredli's with bredli's. But be carefully becuase cannibalism can happen. Also be aware, but i wouldnt keep two snakes together if they havent grown up together. General rule same species and similar size is usally alright. But i would not keep canibal snakes together. Eg. BHP and womas. Well thats my two bobs worth. Good luck with your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back