Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a community of people with differing opinions, learn to live with the fact that some people love them, most people hate them, some people don't care, and other people really don't give a crap what goes on at all and they are just happy with their snakes.

There's always going to be someone who will say something you don't like, so deal with it.

Without getting into a debate some of you people really should do a bit of reading up on the subject.People cannot crossbreed we are all the one species,Homo sapiens.Dogs as well are all the one species,Canis lupus familiaris.

Had to quote both of these seeing as they are the most intelligent responses in this thread.

Python is going to vet at 2pm Today, looks as if she has got about 10+ left in her.

Anyone know if the eggs can usually be saved would be about 36 hours since the last one come out, gave her 24 hours and nothing. Guessing it is going to be surgery and a nice big fat bill, but so long as she is fine.

Thanks again for all the help guys, much appreciated.

the eggs can be saved depending on what the vet decides is best, you can milk the eggs out or it will be surgery though they may wish to deflate the eggs by sucking out the yolk and then milk them out. or let her lay them as just the shell it will depend on the vet.

Hey rusty, I'm guessing you haven't got a laying box in there. She might be hanging onto them because there's no appropriate laying site. Stick some sort of lidded box in there with a hole in the side big enough for her to easily slide through. You can use a polysyrene box, plastic tub, waxed cardboard box or something like that. Put a couple of inches depth of laying substrate in there for her to nest in. There's a few options - sphagnum moss, newspaper even lawn clippings.
Make sure the substrate is only just moist, not wet. Would probably give that a go for a day at least before going to the vet.

mrspike- i didnt give any advice because i wouldnt know what to do other then go to the vet.

the reason i say people on this site are like a broken record is becouse people get SOOOO snarky with people who cross breed, and they do it EVERY time, they need to *******ing get over it! and if they dont like it then they shouldnt complain every time the subject comes up.....im sick of hearing it. i reckon if someone wants to cross breed they can go for it! and anyone who doesnt want to hear it can butt out!

As well as a nesting box, spread sheets of newspaper loosely all over the enclosure, over the top of her hide and nest box and covering as much as possible but not pushed down neatly. This is a time you're allowed to let your tank look messy. This also gives her the feel of confinement which she will like. And if you put a piece of mat inside the nexting box underneath the other stuff, it helps stop eggs sticking to the bottom.

mrspike- i didnt give any advice because i wouldnt know what to do other then go to the vet.

the reason i say people on this site are like a broken record is becouse people get SOOOO snarky with people who cross breed, and they do it EVERY time, they need to *******ing get over it! and if they dont like it then they shouldnt complain every time the subject comes up.....im sick of hearing it. i reckon if someone wants to cross breed they can go for it! and anyone who doesnt want to hear it can butt out!

Mate, I am not disagreeing with you there. To be truthful I am not 100% anti hybrid, but I do have limitations....

My point was that, everyone in the thread was repeating what the last person said over and over again. When only ONE person made a direct anti hybrid comment that came across as an "attack" (for lack of a better word). Which I find is amusing that so many people can get narked up over one opinion, and thats all it is - an opinion.

As I said earlier EVERYONE has an opinion, weather you agree with it or not its theirs. You have your opinion, and I am not attacking you for it so what gives you the right to attack anyone else with a differing opinion?

Kane

I had a box in there for her to hide and she laid 1 egg, and then 1 dud then no more.

Vet suspects the time of the years is bad, too cold, and although the enclosure up high has a high temp (Top 50%), the snake doesnt like the heat and the cooler areas are too cool where she chose to hide even if moving the box up higher she would still go down to the cooler area.

Took to the vet today, the vet said they are going to give a calcium injection and medically induce the snake in labour again and they said this has a 50% chance of getting the eggs out, reckons there would be close to 20 eggs give the size of the python. (7kg)

If this does not work the only procedure left is surgery and they usually cant save all the eggs if any.

Only been about 40 hours since she had the first so still might be some luck.

Bit of feedback there for anyone else who gets in the same situation. :lol:

i have never been in that situation so i cant give any advice, but i hope every thing goes ok with mum and egg's...goodluck!

Still 20 eggs:shock:! She must be uncomfortable. Sounds like you`ve done the right thing for her.

Thanx for the update. Did you leave her with the vet or put her back in her lay box?

Just curious..:)

sounds like it would be wise to talk with a vet. i wont start on the hybrid issue other than to say, what happens in a few years when you wish to buy a pure breed snake and someone sells you a so called pure snake that turns out to carry hybrid genes?? yes ive seen this happen in parrot breeding. i just hope reptiles dont go the same way.

From what I've read there is more genetic diversity in two family groups of mountain gorilla, that is family groups of the same species living in the same general area, then there is in any and all humans. And more genetic diversity in groups of humans in different parts of africa then there is anywhere else in the world. I wouldn't call interacial relations hybridising by any standard.

I don't wanna see the hoby turn into what some americans have made it, cross everything with everything, but this was an accident and athertons and coastals aren't all that different really. So long as it's not misrepresented as being pure then so what. They'll make nice pets, just not for breeding.

Oh, and good luck with your girl mate, I hope she comes out of this all right.

Is the vet Reptile-Orientated? Did he mention anything about surgery to remove the eggs? I have heard of this being done more than once.

I am not sure what the vet meant by wrong time of year. A lot of carpets are now starting to lay.

Good luck with her.

He mentioned it is possible to get them our surgically, as far as Toowoomba goes the vet I got is the best but not easy on the pocket. The medically induced laying is $300-$500.

The snake box is a thing he recommends to give them somewhere comfortable to hide and have the eggs safely, just not sure why that happened with mine, I a guessing temperature got a bit low. Blew both the big 150w heat lamps and could only buy 100w so the cage temp dropped by 6 degrees in a few days before, and now we have had 3 cold days in a row so would explain a lot as the weather was warm up until then.

Surgical is an option to get the eggs out but who knows whether they will be ok or not, hoping so be interesting to see how they turn out, just gonna foot a $700-$1000 bill for it which is gonna hurt the pocket but better than losing a pet. The back 60cm of her body was full with eggs so was alot in there.

Interesting to see the outcome come monday.:|

He mentioned it is possible to get them our surgically, as far as Toowoomba goes the vet I got is the best but not easy on the pocket. The medically induced laying is $300-$500.

The snake box is a thing he recommends to give them somewhere comfortable to hide and have the eggs safely, just not sure why that happened with mine, I a guessing temperature got a bit low. Blew both the big 150w heat lamps and could only buy 100w so the cage temp dropped by 6 degrees in a few days before, and now we have had 3 cold days in a row so would explain a lot as the weather was warm up until then.

Surgical is an option to get the eggs out but who knows whether they will be ok or not, hoping so be interesting to see how they turn out, just gonna foot a $700-$1000 bill for it which is gonna hurt the pocket but better than losing a pet. The back 60cm of her body was full with eggs so was alot in there.

Interesting to see the outcome come monday.:|

sounds like you saw Dr Robert Donnelly good choice their you are in good hands, just be happy its not a dog or the expenses would be higher and they would be doing the surgery a day ago. you still have a good chance to get her to lay those eggs.

Enclosure she lives in is is on the attached link http://www.snaketrader.com.au/snake1.jpg with the big lamps the heat and circulation is no issue 32 up top 25 down the bottom. But once they blow and you cant get more 150 watters the transparency of the glass creates too much heat loss and it drops by 6 degrees. Snaketrader is a site I am building now for people to sell their snakes, trade, get cheap equipment and supplies which I am fully funding and free of charge :), bit more work to go on it yet though, need to find someone to do the PHP database behind it. Might need a free lancer.

Vet called then, she is contracting with the medical induced format but not passing so looks like it will be surgery in the morning. Keep you all posted.

I dont get it?? Why cant you keep your comments to yourself? If you dont like hybrids, dont buy them. If you like them, buy them.. Some hybrids look nicer than the pures too and it doesnt kill off other pures. Cant the pet industry have both Pure and Hybrids?

All the best Rustypython,i hope all ends well for you,please keep us updated,cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back