Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantazmic

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I need some help please :)
I am trying to get my head around what would be a nice beginners snake for a family. I think Id like something social.

I am starting to do my research. I have found an enclosure style that I think is really practical. It is a tall style and has a hiding place in the bottom and room for a sizeable water bowl and heat lights up the top. It has really good branches for the snake to sit on etc. The enclosure would be about 2 meters high and about 60 cm by 50 cms for the footprint if that makes sense. The person who is selling it to me has kept coastals in it before and I quite beleive it as the braches are lovely and strong and it has room for a massive water bowl for the snake to have a soak if it wants. I am really putting some thought into this because obviously I have to have room to house the snake properly when it is fully grown.

Now because the enclosure isnt like a fishtank (longways) and is tall with branches for perching I am thinking I should get an arboreal snake which will enjoy sitting in the branches. (no good geting one that like's being low as the footprint of the enclosure wont support that.

I am not sure if I am brave enough to keep a coastal because they grow really big.....though people dont seem to be phased by the size and I have been told they make wonderful pet snakes. I am looking at a topend Carpet Python Morelia Spilota Variegata or a Centralian carpet Python bredli (this breed has been recommended to me by the person selling me the enclosure) though I think the bredli's grow as big as the coastals so I am hesitating. I have looked at the beautiful yellow and black jungle carpet pythons but have been put off because they can be a bit more agressive and I really dont think I want to be bitten. From reading the threads I sense that the snake wont be handled as much as i thought..just short periods each day...but I still would like that to be a nice experience.

I do think from a practical perspective id like something easy to keep. Especially as i havent kept a snake before.

it would be so helpful to be to have some opinions about what snakes I should start to look at in the flesh.

Regards

Elizabeth

Go with what you like the look of and then look at buying an established juvie. I wouldn't put any carpet python in that enclosure until it is at least 2 years old though. If you are concerned about temperament, buy local and handle the animal first. You don't need to buy the first animal you see. There is plenty of animals around at the moment so make sure you are happy. Most importantly get your set up right before you take the animal home. Good luck.

RSP are great and very basic to keep.
Calm, ammicable, great feeder's. Very sociable.

Personally, i think woma's are the best beginners snake out of all Aussies native's.
But the enclosure your thinking of buying wouldn't be suitable i'm afraid.
Ewan has given some practical advice, maybe re-read his post...he's told you something priceless in his post.

Do some more research..........it will be beneficial too you, your animal and the extent of your outlay.

Good luck.

Ewan has given some practical advice, maybe re-read his post...he's told you something priceless in his post.
Good luck.

I know this isn't a quiz...but would it be

You don't need to buy the first animal you see....

Agreed!
Half the fun is in the research and deciding, you will have it for a long time, choose something you like the look of. Research it's needs, and have fun :)

enclosure

Hi Ewan

You said you wouldnt put a carpet python in the enclosure I have chosen until it is at least 2 years old

Can I ask why that is

Regards

Elizabeth

because sometimes juvie snakes dont like large enclosure and can get snappy/go of food,also smaller snakes are very good at escaping from large enclosures

Hi Elizabeth.

Due to the size I prefer not to. A small python in large enclosure can (not always) suffer stress. A python suffering from stress may go off its food, become defensive and may not thermo regulate properly. I would not risk it, especially for someones first snake who most likely isn't equipped to deal with repercussions. Even my adult carpets aren't housed in 2m tall enclosures as I noticed as they get larger they don't use the extra height and spend a lot more time on the floor. If you decide to purchase an established juvie you can watch it's behaviours over the years and learn what is required to house an adult.

Kind Regards.

Ewan.

You need to accept that you may get bitten regardless of the type of snake you get chances are you will get tagged at some point but don't let that put you off. If you get a juvie your handling ability will improve as the snake grows.

I would HIGHLY recommend a Murray Darling. I have had my girl for just over a week and it has been the best experience of my life. They are generally quite calm, good to handle and good feeders and as my first snake, I have had no dramas at all. It has been a ridiculously easy experience.

Yes they may get big but if you start out with a hatchie, your confidence will grow as the snake does.

Just FYI the MD's grow to around 2 metres max but (correct me guys if i am wrong) they are not fully grown until they are at least 3yrs old, so you have that long to get used to it.

If you are really concerned primarily with size, I think the childrens pythons and stimsons pythons are the smaller options, but not sure how they are for temperament as i always wanted a big one lol. For temperament, from everything I have read and heard, you cant beat an MD!!!

But yes you need to be prepared to perhaps cop a bite... afterall... we are talking about snakes here and not fluffy bunny rabbits!!

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies

We had a lovely time last Saturday night visiting a kind person on this list who showed me some snakes....in particular a very nice female carpet python.

it was so worthwhile going and looking at some snakes. We also showed these people who are experienced some pictures of the enclosure we were thinking about buying and they were able to tell us that it wasnt a good design and why.

So we have learned heaps

So it is all good

Thanks so much

Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back