Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissyboy

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
So i picked up one from bunnings and have watched and read things about building the clickclack (the stickied one included) now i was going to go for a heat mat from herp shop australia
150mm x 280mm, 6" x 11"​
7 watts​
$45.00​

1. Will it really provide enough heat for the hatchie (assuming its a bredli or jungle)
2. Should it be placed on the inside or out side of the click clack

i ask the 2nd question because I was watching an instructional video and this person ducttaped it to the outside but i have no idea on the heat output of the heatmat he was using. the bio on the product says its safe for reptiles to sit on it if its used right i just want as much info before purchasing. thanks.

yeah thats fine, i had a 4watt that could get to 40 degrees so 7watt is more then enough

I've got my Woma in a ~21 litre tub atm, a microclimate 8.5 watt mat on the outside.

I have a thermo on it as it does get up to 40 after a while, also the timer turns it off at night.

outside, underneath 1/2 of the click clack

also dont forgot to hook up a thermostat to it

outside and underneath the clik clak you only need to put 1/3 of it on the heat mat, i know the packaging says to use polysterene foam underneath IMO thats a fire waiting to happen if unthermostated, ive sein heat matts burn wood

goto local tile shop find a tile thats the same size as the mat you need to 2, 1 underanth the mat and 1 on top, just need to notch a half moon out for the heat mat out of the top tile, oh the tiles are free to ask for samples, ceramic is a awesome heat conductor, holds it longer and more even heating surface, dont forget needs to be thermostated,

well he said outside and underneath which shouldnt be too hard to understand, and he means only have 1/3 of the click clack on the heat mat so that the heat mat is taking up 1/3 of the bottom of the click clack same as in the last pic of the stickied click clack help thread where the green heat mat is only covering less than half of the floor space out side the click clack.

i have my 2 15L water python enclosures sitting over a 28W heat mat with thermostat, but dopey me, i bought tubs with lips on the bottom, so the heat mat is a good 4mm off the bottom of the enclosure. so a couple of nail gun clips (whatever you call those taped nails) underneath and 1/3 is sitting easily on 31*C. with direct contact, i imagine there would be no issue at all with a 7 watt mat getting a similar sized tub up to the same temps and higher.

With the half-moon thing:
i think hes talking about where the heat mat chord attatches to the heat mat itself, there is a semicircular protrusion of plastic (on reptapet heat mats, not sure about other brands) so that if you wanted to put the whole tihng underneath, it would not be flush.. does that make sense? its hard to explain. basically, there is a big semicircular lump and if you want to put something on top of it, it will wobble :p i dont worry about this.. i just have it poking out the side, but if you wanted to be neat, you would do as stimmie suggested

basically, there is a big semicircular lump and if you want to put something on top of it, it will wobble :p i dont worry about this.. i just have it poking out the side, but if you wanted to be neat, you would do as stimmie suggested
yep i do the same

i bought a 7 wat heatmat built in thermostat from reptipets did well when i had only one hatchie but soon will have 10 so use heat cord 1/3 of the bottom of the click claks fine reason being the snake can also have a cold end to they sometimes move between both or in the colder weather they tend to want to stay warmer

sorry mate, could of made that much clearer, i only got back to the post now but its been answered any more info just pm me mate i would be glad to help a fellow APS'er out

I use a 50w heat cord (herp shop) under 2 enclosures (looped back and forth 5 times) under 1/3 of a 52litre tub and another one for 30litre tubs.. I can get them up to 30-34 pretty easy and I have a rock inside to keep a better gradient.. it sits at 30-32 all the time.. =)

i routed (don't know if thats how it is spelt) a line into a few pieces of pine i joined together so the cord sits flush with the surface and the enclosure doesn't rock.. Heat mats are good but i found for the 4 tubs that heat cord was far cheaper at $30 each as opposed to $50ish each for 4 mats.. I also have the cords on a thermo (habistat) each and keep both tubs identical in every way..

good luck

With the rocking tubs I just stick a couple of DVD covers underneath the enclosure on the otherside. lol

With the rocking tubs I just stick a couple of DVD covers underneath the enclosure on the otherside. lol

hehehe thats gold, im using folded up newspaper on the clik claks atm to stable the tubs need to get more tiles

Are you guys able to achieve a decent air temp with heat mats I find that only the areas in direct contact remain over 30 degrees. The temp drops dramatically as soon as you move a couple of cm's higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back