Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
My bredli clutch began hatching yesterday hooray! To begin this story i will tell you that my girl laid 36 eggs.

A few days after laying it turned out that a few were infertile and had to be removed, too bad but i still had a decent ammount of eggs left. Early jan we had a cyclone hit Darwin and my incubator lost power for nearly a day straight and then intermitantly for several hours at a time over the next few days, sadly i had to say good bye to a few more eggs.

I got home sunday arvo to find one of the eggs had pipped so i manually pipped the remaining eggs. Today most of them started emerging. After taking some out and placing them in their new homes i discovered that i had a few full term dead snakes... 6 of them to be exact.

Out of a clutch of 36 i have 8 living hatchies. Not real happy. Here's pics

DSCF5490.jpg

Clutch after a few live ones had left the egg
IMG_0063.jpg

And some close ups of the dead neonates
IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

BUT i hate to see anything go to waste and my wild life rescue tawny loved them!
IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

;)

That's a real bummer mate, sorry to hear it. But at least you got a few out. :?

Sorry to hear you lost so many, but awesome photos :D

Could the ones that died have had no egg tooth.
I stated once before that a mate lost an entire clutch bar one because of this.
So soory for your loss mate.
Aleks

Could the ones that died have had no egg tooth.
I stated once before that a mate lost an entire clutch bar one because of this.
So soory for your loss mate.
Aleks

I think that could be a reason for some hatchies dieing but def not inthis case. One of the ones to die was the first to pip its egg so it had to have an egg tooth.

I think in this case genetics may have something to do with it as this is the second time i have had dead neonates, although last time was no where near as bad. Needless to say i don;t plan on making this pairing again.

lucky you dont breed coastals :D

I was waiting for a comment like that :lol: hehe

The eggs didnt look sunken at all. They werent to wet were they?

I don't think they were too wet the vermic mix was pretty dry, but it is the wet season up here and the humidity level is something massive. That could account for why they aren't sunken in.

Tragic and cute way to recyle. The tawny looks excited to have snake on the menu. Thanks for sharing Waruikazi

As soon as they pip i usually squeeze some of the albumin out of the egg so the cant submerge themselves in it again when they have started breathing already. Have seen babies drown themselves by submerging again.

Showing off your DEAD hatchies is one thing, but showing pics of you feeding them to an owl is another :evil:...
have some taste man.

power failure

l am also very sorry to see this happen,but this could have been prevented by having an inverter power supply on stand by or running in conjunction with the normal power supply. they can cost as little as $200-300 upwards...north side brisbane lost power last month on a saturday afternoon and one of these systems positively saved a clutch of my uluru [rock] womas as l was amazed by the temp. drop on a sat. afternoon /evening in january as l incubate at 32 degrees........ps l sincerely hope this story can be of use to anyone reading it.....cheers solar 17

Showing off your DEAD hatchies is one thing, but showing pics of you feeding them to an owl is another :evil:...
have some taste man.
Whatever!!! Couldn't help myself...
It's better than flushing them, atleast there not a total waste like LJ said.

have some taste man.

how is it any different to feeding a dead rat to a snake?

have some taste man.
What so throwing them in the bin is better??? Grow Up.

Also a tawny is a Nightjar not an Owl.

what a bumma so many didnt make it. ;(

beautiful tawny, bet it loved its unexpected treat!!

Another alternative to feeding them to your tawny would be preserving them in a jar and selling them to a scientific supplies store that provide samples like this to schools. At least then it wouldn't be a total loss.
Sorry to hear about your tragedy though. Good luck with the hatchies that survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back