Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[scorps]

He never mentioned small animals.
He said, aren't up to scratch...

Trying to breed two striped jungles and not getting them, that's not up to scratch...
cull them all?

No I wouldn't go culling snakes because they didn't turn out the right colour or with the right markings, I'm talking about weak or deformed.

culling offspring because they do not meet your requirements - placid temperament pattern, colour etc is not necessary, culling offspring due to deformity is something that is humane for the wellbeing of the offspring, if it's born with deformed spine etc.

This thread seems to have separated the sheep from the goats, as such... small time breeders being able to spend the time on a problem feeder, the bigger time breeders choosing not to. I have no worries either way, but it does raise the question in my mind of whether we should be breeding animals if we don't have any time to spend on the individual offspring that are produced? Is it irresponsible to be breeding in such high number that the only choice is to cull the weak, because there's no time to be spent on their rehabilitation? This obviously doesn't apply to deformed animals, but poor feeders or minor deformities like a kinked tail are problems that can be solved with time and effort, or sold as a pet....? Just my thoughts...

I cull anything thats deformed, accurate whack with a hammer completely destroys the brain instantaneously. Hell of a a lot more humane than taking them to a vet who treats the thing like a pin cushion for 5 minutes looking for its heart.

Neither of those are the best way to dispatch a snake. Snakes have such a low metabolism and can handle very low blood oxygen levels, as such gassing isn't effective. I have reead some articles that say breaking the neck or beheading can result in a dead body but live head. Again because of the low metabolism the head can survive (if i remember rightly it was about 20 mins) for a long time.

Crushing the brain works best, it's fail safe and instant. Pithing i think is the technical term. I've always done it with a large hammer.

Co2 gasing would prob be the most humane or if thats not available the severing of the spine always works, but only if you know the correct way to break an animals neck.

I dont think problem feeders were mentioned as i wouldnt cull these, unless there already on death row.
Mainly bad deformities etc, but im sure some breeders working on specific traits cull undesirable animals to strengthen there blood lines before they release there new morphs onto the market down the track.
But most would agree you shouldnt cull things based on looks, even though when your driving around town and you see a ugly specimen that you think the world wouldnt miss if you mowed it down.....dont act like youve never thought about it...and if you havent then maybe your one of them lol.

Neither of those are the best way to dispatch a snake. Snakes have such a low metabolism and can handle very low blood oxygen levels, as such gassing isn't effective. I have reead some articles that say breaking the neck or beheading can result in a dead body but live head. Again because of the low metabolism the head can survive (if i remember rightly it was about 20 mins) for a long time.

Crushing the brain works best, it's fail safe and instant. Pithing i think is the technical term. I've always done it with a large hammer.

Il remember that if i ever need to use it, large nail and hammer would work and be less messy.

Sounds like you only really care about the money? if your breeding cheaper snakes doesn't seem a problem but as soon as RPM's or morphs/money are mentioned it's a different story.... nero problems might be considered weak? what about line breeding? that's creating weaker animals to an extent...

come on guys that recent thread said post less dribble.
unnecessary culling is as much as a joke as the keepers that do it....''i breed for a purpose''

Being pragmatic with time and resources, as many breeders are, if something has had a chance and its not going to be a viable specimen the situation will be dealt with. Its not pleasant and can be very upsetting at times, but snake keepers tend to be philosophical about the circle of life from keeping and feeding obligate predators.

I personally have a soft spot for the weak animals and ones with deformed limbs etc,
Would you "cull" your own son or daughter cause she/he had a missing leg?
Two heads?

If I was allowed to ;). A human life isn't exactly equivalent to a snake life though so you can't really compare the two.

This thread seems to have separated the sheep from the goats, as such... small time breeders being able to spend the time on a problem feeder, the bigger time breeders choosing not to. I have no worries either way, but it does raise the question in my mind of whether we should be breeding animals if we don't have any time to spend on the individual offspring that are produced? Is it irresponsible to be breeding in such high number that the only choice is to cull the weak, because there's no time to be spent on their rehabilitation? This obviously doesn't apply to deformed animals, but poor feeders or minor deformities like a kinked tail are problems that can be solved with time and effort, or sold as a pet....? Just my thoughts...

I do disagree a little bit. I do have a descent size collection and breed a couple of hundred snakes every year, but this is what I do for a job (well this and the mag.) so I have plenty of time to spend with my collection.But by culling off the weak and deformed people know that when they buy one of my snakes that it is fit and healthy in every way.

One thing I should clear up is when I say weak I don't mean a snake that refused a food item two weeks in a row, I mean a real problem feeder that I've spent time on that just will not kick in and is just getting weaker and weaker and is a real problem animal.

Sounds like you only really care about the money? if your breeding cheaper snakes doesn't seem a problem but as soon as RPM's or morphs/money are mentioned it's a different story.... nero problems might be considered weak? what about line breeding? that's creating weaker animals to an extent...

unnecessary culling is as much as a joke as the keepers that do it....''i breed for a purpose''

Thats one opinion

Anyone that has ever had anything to do with breeding livestock be it snake, cattle, dogs or even cats and care for what they are doing know they have to cull the weak for their lines to remain strong.
Personally would much rather buy a snake from a line that culls the weak than one that keeps them all and breeds with problem animals.

Anyone that has ever had anything to do with breeding livestock be it snake, cattle, dogs or even cats and care for what they are doing know they have to cull the weak for their lines to remain strong.
Personally would much rather buy a snake from a line that culls the weak than one that keeps them all and breeds with problem animals.

Would you be more comfortable purchasing python A - taking rats, never missed a feed age 6 months

or

Would you be more comfortable purchasing python B - problem feeder, refused feed until 2 months old, is assist feeding till 3 months old, now taking mice has been feeding 10 unassisted feeds

thats a good point.

I've culled both low and top end animals because they have had problems. As for calling me a joke, if it had came from someone that had a clue I might have taken offence, but seeing as though it came from you, no offence taken buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh iv got more of a clue then you buddy...trust me.
your contradiction shows how much of a clue you have.

If I was allowed to ;). A human life isn't exactly equivalent to a snake life though so you can't really compare the two.

exactly, humans are so much more annoying and destructive,...i'd prefer to cull humans,....

the only animals that should be culled are those that will die a slow painful death anyway and 'culling' is just cutting down the time they have to suffer.

so glad i dont have space for many more critters, im getting to a point where i wouldnt know what breeders i could buy from with a clear conscience.

I see that there is a thread going on at the moment saying that there aren’t enough decent reptile discussions happening on this forum at the moment so I thought that I’ll put one up that I find interesting and would be interested in other peoples thoughts on the matter.

I breed a few snakes every year and the hatchlings that I find aren’t up starch, either with kinks, problem feeders, or deformed in any way get culled off. I used to give these snakes away as pets with strict instructions that the snakes I give away are never to be bred or sold, as I believe that breeding weak snakes just creates more weak snakes, but after a few years I found that some of the snakes I’d given away had either been given away again or sold or even worse, been bred.

What I’m wanting to know is how many other reptile breeders cull off their weak or deformed hatchling and if you don’t cull them off what do you do with them?

If I ever hatch something with two heads or tails I will keep it , as you know , haha
To date I haven't had to cull anything I have hatched... and only would if the animal wouldn't survive.
I have a few problem feeders from 2 seasons ago and wouldn't think of knocking them off! If you don't have time to work with problem feeders give them to me!

exactly, humans are so much more annoying and destructive,...i'd prefer to cull humans,....

the only animals that should be culled are those that will die a slow painful death anyway and 'culling' is just cutting down the time they have to suffer.

so glad i dont have space for many more critters, im getting to a point where i wouldnt know what breeders i could buy from with a clear conscience.

Are you vegetarian? Not being accusatory, but it seems a bit naive. Culling deformed offspring is the most appropriate option. Why risk adding a faulty trait to the gene pool? Yes, in an ideal world where there are pixies and rainbows such measures wouldn't be necessary but the fact of the matter is we don't live in that world. It would cause more harm to the herp population with all deformed specimens not being culled and breeding, possibly passing on the deformity than it would to cull them as young.

Last edited:
For what it's worth my opinion is that there are definately cases where euthanising is the best thing to do.

Hear hear Kristy! It all boils down to who wants to play god really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back