Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's okay, not trying to have a go at anyone, it's just that a lot of the time I can't follow what people are talking about. It generally seems like people use "gene" when they should use "allele" and that's my usual assumption.

Im not trying to have a go at anyone either, but i think scientific terms such as alleles are not understood by a lot of people who keep reptiles because it isnt really general knowledge imo. The people that understand that sort of thing are people who have done biology at school or a uni subject on genetics, or people that have not necessary chosen to be educated in that area, but have just done their own research on it out of general interest. Its just my opinion that allele isnt a term understood by the majority of the public...
Feel free to correct me if you think otherwise :)

Sdaji said:
That's okay, not trying to have a go at anyone, it's just that a lot of the time I can't follow what people are talking about. It generally seems like people use "gene" when they should use "allele" and that's my usual assumption.

Thats exactly how most people understand it.Dominant and recessive genes.

ok ok so in dumb alby terms if i get one snake carrying the dominant gene and one carrying the recessive gene do we get albino babies :idea: :shock:

Hi Matt,

Here's one of my male Darwin that has similar pattern, I've seen a few around but not that many, I am sure Berrige have some. Sdaji as always very informative post keep up the good work :) .

All the best!!

One gene (for example, the gene which makes the Darwin carpet pythons albino) can be dominant or recessive. I'm not telling anyone to learn anything new, I'm trying to understand what people mean when they say "dominant and recessive genes". Allele isn't a word many people are familiar with, but despite people being familiar with the word 'gene', no one seems to know what it means. I'm wondering if people have learned the concept of alleles but just use the wrong word. This would make it impossible to understand what a gene actually is, which seems to be the case for many people.

I'm as lost as you are, alby :)

alby said:
ok ok so in dumb alby terms if i get one snake carrying the dominant gene and one carrying the recessive gene do we get albino babies :idea: :shock:

Every snake has two copies of every gene. To become albinos, the Darwin carpets have each inherited two defective copies of one gene. Genes themselves can't be recessive or dominant. The albino allele is a recessive form of one gene, although there are many genes which can have albinism alleles. A completely different gene could become defective, resulting in albino animals.

alby said:

Breed two animals who carry the same recessive gene for albino, and you will produce a certain ratio of albinos, Hets, and non albino gene carrying offspring.

Het = Xx

Albino = xx

Normal =XX

So breed Hets
Xx + Xx
=

Xx ,XX, xx
(the above result is the % of each type produced, just the types of offspring from the pairing example)
Matt

(Edited: to make a "little" more sense)

What does 'gene' mean?

Does an albino carpet have two more genes than a normal carpet?

Jungleland said:
Hi Matt,

Here's one of my male Darwin that has similar pattern, I've seen a few around but not that many, I am sure Berrige have some. Sdaji as always very informative post keep up the good work :) .

All the best!!

Thanks for sharing that pic, thats a very nice Darwin, i havnt seen alot around that display this pattern, but i havnt seen a great deal of Darwins anyway, so was wondering how common the pattern was.

Matt

Matt, isnt it really xX, Xx, XX & xx. In this totally drunken state, I mean, its 25% albino as opposed to 33% and 50% het as opposed to the 33% in your example.

Xx and xX are the same thing, I think he was just pointing out the possible genotypes from the cross, not the proportions. Yes, you're quite right about the proportions.

Sdaji said:
Xx and xX are the same thing, I think he was just pointing out the possible genotypes from the cross, not the proportions. Yes, you're quite right about the proportions.

Yeah i wasnt trying to point out any % in the offspring, i didnt want to add more confusion to my attempt at explaining it, but maybe i have?

Matt

the Xx genotype is twice as likely to occur and there are two different ways for it to be produced, but it's the same genotype, the same thing.

OK then, you win. I know, I am an accountant. I was just looking at the stats.

Funny that an accountant would love stats :lol:

I don't think anyone 'won', we were just saying different things :)

This has become very interesting, very informative. Can someone expand upon what Matt was explaining but also give the percentages?

Albino x Albino = All albino offspring???
Albino x Het = ???
Albino x Normal = ???
Het x Normal = ???

Now I am confusing myself :shock:

Albino x Het = 50% Albino 50% Hets

Albino x Normal = 100% Hets.

Het x Normal = 50% Hets 50% Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back