(dead animal warning) Ummmmmmmm..weird!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleo u are out of your element here mate. Not all our animals are wild mate. They have been bred and bred for ages and have been in captivity for far longer than the time in which we have owned our animals. Sure they may have come from the wild but all the problems and "wildness" about them has been bred out. Sure they are still the same snake or reptile but a wild snake is far more immune to disease than a captive bred snake. End of story son

Really the only problem with this would be possible pesticide problems

I used to catch indian mynahs by the dozen for my snakes in Cairns
Never ever had a problem

OMG some of these guys are retarded. What the hell do you think your snakes ate in the wild? They haven't evolved to be weaker in the few captive generations. They live off that stuff without any freezing which she stated she was going to do as a precaution. Think before you post guys.

So why do people force feed their reptiles? Lots of animals survive in captivity that would otherwise die in the wild. And you are 100% correct - they DO live off that stuff. They also have parasites and probably don't live as long as animals in captivity. This thread has become laughable. Do your research before you go putting other people down.

I lold when i read this, if you were born in a bubble fed disease free food for part of your life, then subjected to parasites and other diseases do you think your immune system could handle it? Actually you wouldnt have that much of an immune system due to the cleanliness of everything

Maybe you should think before you post

Don't be ignorant. A few captive bred generations does not void hundreds of thousands of years of evolution.

They have been bred and bred for ages and have been in captivity for far longer than the time in which we have owned our animals. Sure they may have come from the wild but all the problems and "wildness" about them has been bred out. S

Evolution doesn't happen overnight. Check the everglades. "pets" are not only surviving but thriving. Dunno how they do it without their thawed rats ;)

Do your research before you go putting other people down.

I have done my research. And I'm pretty sure snakes don't get immunity from mummies' milk like we do. Most pathogens they are protected from birth. Irrespective of whether or not the snake is wild or captive bred. Pathogens that harm captive snakes are also dangerous to wild ones

wookie captive reptiles live far longer than ones in the wild mate.

Yes, they do. But lets get back on track shall we? When was that the argument. The argument had to do with feeding a frozen thawed pidgeon.

if you were born in a bubble fed disease free food for part of your life, then subjected to parasites and other diseases do you think your immune system could handle it? Actually you wouldnt have that much of an immune system due to the cleanliness of everything

Thats true, but I'm a mammal, not a snake silly :).

Last edited:
Ok. So I guess the conclusion is that you should do what is best for your snake. If you think it is fine to feed them wild food sources, then go ahead, but don't post on here when you have a problem with your snake (not saying you will, there are just an assortment of risks obviously associated) that you want advice for. And for those of us that choose to feed the animals we are responsible for the things that are bred specifically for reptile food, this is because we don't want that added risk to their livelihood - even if that risk may be small.
So each to their own, and some may be braver than others.

It looks like a pidgeon x seagull to me. I hate seagulls. Pidgeons, I am indifferent towards.

Evolution doesn't happen overnight. Check the everglades. "pets" are not only surviving but thriving. Dunno how they do it without their thawed rats ;)
..... I read they were actually dying......... and the problem was going to solve itself. If you call that thriving then well I dunno.

Don't be ignorant. A few captive bred generations does not void hundreds of thousands of years of evolution.
I have done my research. And I'm pretty sure snakes don't get immunity from mummies' milk like we do. Most pathogens they are protected from birth. Irrespective of whether or not the snake is wild or captive bred. Pathogens that harm captive snakes are also dangerous to wild ones
Yes, they do. But lets get back on track shall we? When was that the argument. The argument had to do with feeding a frozen thawed pidgeon.
Thats true, but I'm a mammal, not a snake silly :).
You are right. Evolution does not happen over night, selective breeding for colour morphs happens because of people does happen though and may have an effect on how well the snake functions (look at jags). Do you honestly think that they are "protected from birth" from most pathogens? Really? And haven't you just agreed with what everyone else has been saying - pathogens that harm wild snakes also harm pets (gee you really know your stuff to have figured that out!). The whole reason there was an argument about feeding a pigeon was because of parasites. And I also thought that I had heard something about snakes not coping too well with winters in the Everglades?

Wookie, a single generation of captive breeding (even from wild caught stock) can result in a reduction of biological fitness in the first generation.

Some of the most researched examples are those seen in Northern hemisphere hatcheries.

One example.
Ford JS, Myers RA (2008 ) A global assessment of salmon aquaculture impacts on wild salmonids. PLoS Biol 6(2): e33. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0060033

probably a good thing. Would hate to see a seagull thread asking if its ok to feed them to snakes

Going back a bit I think a ring would come off of a Quaker a lot faster than it would a pigeon. A: A Quaker has a much sharper beak B: A Quaker has opposable claws.

My point being that it is probably a feral bird that never had a ring.

Its an ancient Plymouth Pigeon - introduced in 1914 - They are quite rare - as common pigeons over breed them.
Anyway - I think you should freeze and feed it - It looks kinda hot too..
All these people that are calling you a stinge are stupid - your recycling and doing good for nature - I commend you miss ashlee
:-D

..... I read they were actually dying......... and the problem was going to solve itself. If you call that thriving then well I dunno.

I dunno mate, last I heard they were the apex predator. Probably dying off from over-thriving haha, pigs

Do you honestly think that they are "protected from birth" from most pathogens? Really? ?

They are protected from birth from most pathogens. Its mainly virus and environmental things that get to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back