(dead animal warning) Ummmmmmmm..weird!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can u post a pic of your snake eating it when it happens on this thread please lol

No idea could be that there is a temperature shock after being housed in a controlled environment. Could be the fact that they aren't getting the right food.

Don't think its food. Or they wouldn't die predominantly in winter? That said, food would definitely be an issue. Not parasite-wise but scarcity wise. Those things can EAT! Parasites could be an issue because they are quite a way out of locality. That said the everglades is paradise compared to their normal home :D

So is Australia compared to England but enough of them don't survive here ahahah.

They are protected from birth from most pathogens. Its mainly virus and environmental things that get to them.

Pathogen: A Bacterium, Virus or Microorganism that can cause disease.

Pathogen: A Bacterium, Virus or Microorganism that can cause disease.

Correct, that said, I said MOST pathogens didn't I? Not all. Then went on to mention virus is the predominant risk. The bulk of the pathogens, bacterial, worms etc are naturally well tolerated. Some viruses may not be denatured by freezing though I'm unsure (as is a lot of the herp community from what I gather) if any of these are contractible by reptiles. Environmental factors can exacerbate the risk of any of the above.

For all the people who are saying don't feed it cause of pathogens - can you please name which pathogens you are specifically concerned about for me? Not just generic groups but which particular bird pathogen species are proven to be transmissible to snakes. I would be keen to know a few more details other than just the generic 'wild caught food is bad'

As longqi pointed out, chemicals would be my concern (worming or other medications given to the bird if it was from a captive flock, pesticides if its been feeding/foraging in the wild) but as a once off its not likely to be a big issue.

Pentastomes, Hepatozoons, Amblyomma, various Plasmodiums, haemoproteus and cryptosporidium.

Pentastomes, Hepatozoons, Amblyomma, various Plasmodiums, haemoproteus and cryptosporidium.

I think that all of those are denatured or killed by freezing. I think some of the adult precursor forms are somewhat resistant but I think a few of those that you mentioned are rare in Aus. Good research though :).

Goodnight Rahni, reconvene in the morning? Thanks for the finally educated reasoning behind your opinion. Most posters lack that.

Some that I mentioned are rare, one of the studies on acari borne parasites was done in the NT though... it's all interesting. As I have previously mentioned though, the adult stage may be killed but some of the immature or ova may be able to survive freezing, that's what I've read anyway. Cheers for that Wookie, I try to think before I post.

Last edited:
It's a dead pigeon.
I know it may be shocking to some of you but snakes won't drop dead if they aren't fed laboratory breed rodents or kept on newspaper with a plastic hide box.
Asharee133 : Freeze the pigeon for 4 - 6 weeks, it will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a dead pigeon.
I know it may be shocking to some of you but snakes won't drop dead if they aren't fed laboratory breed rodents or kept on newspaper with a plastic hide box.
Asharee133 : Freeze the pigeon for 4 - 6 weeks, it will be fine.

Not saying it'll die, read my posts. Just saying that it may not be fantastic for the animal but whatever, not my problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, a bunch of other birds chasing the pigeon? Only usually happens when its sick. Other birds will attack because its weak, immune system is low, or dying. Did that ever come to ur mind?
I guess not. Instead you think the cause of death was via electricucian on a power pole?
By far the best ive heard today! Then again it is early

Hmmmm, a bunch of other birds chasing the pigeon? Only usually happens when its sick. Other birds will attack because its weak, immune system is low, or dying. Did that ever come to ur mind?
I guess not. Instead you think the cause of death was via electricucian on a power pole?
By far the best ive heard today! Then again it is early

How do you know they only chase them when they are sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back