Diamond Python with over 100 ticks on it.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could have been fixed. The one of straddie was rescued by a ranger and assisted, Paralysis ticks are not considered native therefor we as humans and carers will often interevene, if it is a natural cycle, we should prevent our selves from interefering but these forms of ticks are not natural.

Paralysis ticks are native along with a lot of tick species. I don't know what kinds of ticks are on that snake but if they are native i don't see any reason to save that animal. If it dies it goes back into the food chain which is a good thing.

Paralysis ticks are native along with a lot of tick species. I don't know what kinds of ticks are on that snake but if they are native i don't see any reason to save that animal. If it dies it goes back into the food chain which is a good thing.

This is the second thread in as many weeks regarding heavy tick infestations on carpets.It's got me wondering that perhaps the animals in both cases are unhealthy in the first place?

What was the point in posting it in the first place or even joining here?

You say you dont like snakes but are happy to post upsetting pictures for those that do love them?

To all the complainers do you ever moralize the live animals you feed your pets? Are they less worthy of death. Would you pull a live wallaby off a python?
As gruesome as it was I was just documenting what was an extraordinary event.

You will find that the vast majority of keepers do not feed live prey items so please don't make broad,uneducated,sweeping statements like that.

Good point Ramsayi!
as horrid as it is to look at snakes and ticks have been living together for years in the wild and reptiles would of figured a way to get rid of them just like our captive ones do when they have mites by sitting in water!'
perhaps this snake was on its death bed already!?

still creeps me out! i would of removed them but thats just me!

as horrid as it is to look at snakes and ticks have been living together for years in the wild and reptiles would of figured a way to get rid of them just like our captive ones do when they have mites by sitting in water!' perhaps this snake was on its death bed already!?

Yeah maybe natures way of hurrying the process along a bit.

You will find that the vast majority of keepers do not feed live prey items so please don't make broad,uneducated,sweeping statements like that.

but they are live until we 'donk ' them or gas them. humane or not its still kill one to help the other survive. im sure people on the prize rat forums would have something to say to this arguement. i think the pictures were gross to but all a part of nature and all a part of the cycle of life. yes he could have saved it but he didnt, does it really deserve him to be drilled. i wonder how many people here wouldnt have know what to do either?? i wouldnt have.

I'm sorry but filming and photographing it without helping the poor thing... What the %*^$!?!?!?
That sort of infestation is a deathsentence for the animal, where as it could have been rescued and helped like the one from Stradbroke. If you were there with someone else one of you could have watched the snake while thge other called the RSPCA or WIRES people in Lismore.

Of course it was gone the next day it's not going to stay on a walking trail forever. I just hope that someone else happened across it after you left and got it the help it deserved.

too bloody true to do nothing is horrid.

Isn't it interesting how varied the opinion is on this one yet not one person posted and said the ranger should have let the snake die on Straddie? He was told what a great job he did.

Who says that the snake in question will die from ticks, once they have there fill they will release and in a month it may have no ticks at all, nature is cruel and if snake does die then it was not the fittest anyway, i for one would have helped it but only cause im a herpetologist by nature if the same thing was on a kangaroo i would have shot said kangaroo and not thought any more of it, have done it for wombats covered in mange and festering soars but a red bellied black snake thats been run over i helped get rehabilitated, You cant help every animal and someone who is not confident with reptiles shouldn't be condemmed for not helping

Headlining on the human news - 'ozbrad was eaten by a shark and filmed by other humans in what was said to be an extraordinary event'
we are all just animals in the end but hey I'm fine with you not being confident enough to help the poor animal (as I don't like nursing homes - theyre all going to die anyway why not let nature take its course? oh yeah thats right theyre people and thats vastly different), but you didnt need to put it on a herp loving site.. if you think it was an 'extraordinary event' maybe the photography sites would be better suited? oh and as for killing the rats so we can all feed our 'pets', if people didnt keep these pets, there would be no reason for the rats to be bred in the first place, so as much as its sad and sucks, they are fulfilling their life purpose, even if a human chose it for them. Better stop feeding your dog tho, don't want any animals to die prematurely because Chum is all that.

Headlining on the human news - 'ozbrad was eaten by a shark and filmed by other humans in what was said to be an extraordinary event'
we are all just animals in the end but hey I'm fine with you not being confident enough to help the poor animal (as I don't like nursing homes - theyre all going to die anyway why not let nature take its course? oh yeah thats right theyre people and thats vastly different), but you didnt need to put it on a herp loving site.. if you think it was an 'extraordinary event' maybe the photography sites would be better suited? oh and as for killing the rats so we can all feed our 'pets', if people didnt keep these pets, there would be no reason for the rats to be bred in the first place, so as much as its sad and sucks, they are fulfilling their life purpose, even if a human chose it for them. Better stop feeding your dog tho, don't want any animals to die prematurely because Chum is all that.

What makes you think the said snake was not fulfilling his life purpose? Strong survive weak die. He also isn't having a go at people for the rats dying he is saying things must die for others to survive so your silly dog comment was not needed.

People who weren't going to like this shouldn't have opened the thread, we all knew what has going to be in here. Also maybe the op thought the snake would be able to survive and was trying to show everyone how amazing they are and what they can survive with.

so why did you open it and comment too? ive sat on this site for months and not said squat about any of the bickering that goes on here, so now i finally have a say and get shot down.. just like everyone else does, who cares? freedom of opinion is open to everyone, including the guy that posted it in the first place, so I didnt agree with it, and you didn't agree with me.. Lets all cry now, because having a forum where everyone agrees and nobody has a good debate or discussion is far more entertaining than hearing that all of us are unique, entitled to their own opinions and all here to learn something new and network.. I didn't ask you to agree with my opinion, or to read it, each to their own hunny

I assumed the same thing.

I will thirdly agree with this. I found a sick EB last weak with multiple Paralysis ticks on it. Could be a way of nature speeding things up, never found a healthy one with infestation? Could snakes have natural anti bodies preventing them from attaching significantly?

so why did you open it and comment too? ive sat on this site for months and not said squat about any of the bickering that goes on here, so now i finally have a say and get shot down.. just like everyone else does, who cares? freedom of opinion is open to everyone, including the guy that posted it in the first place, so I didnt agree with it, and you didn't agree with me.. Lets all cry now, because having a forum where everyone agrees and nobody has a good debate or discussion is far more entertaining than hearing that all of us are unique, entitled to their own opinions and all here to learn something new and network.. I didn't ask you to agree with my opinion, or to read it, each to their own hunny

I opened it because I was curious I knew what was going to be here though so didn't feel the need to bash the op. I also wasn't saying you can't have an opinion I was merely stating I think you misunderstood what the op was saying about rats and therefor the dog comment didn't really hold any significance.

By all means have your own opinion and express it I'm all for that and I'm not crying at all I just thought it was a bit off base is all. I didn't mean to offend you and if I did I'm sorry.

I will thirdly agree with this. I found a sick EB last weak with multiple Paralysis ticks on it. Could be a way of nature speeding things up, never found a healthy one with infestation? Could snakes have natural anti bodies preventing them from attaching significantly?

I think its more likely a healthy snake has the energy to rub them off more often

at the recent ahs meeting there was david vella discussing many reptile issues and showed a pic of an infested snake with ticks, said that there was def something wrong with the snake to let the infestation get that bad. a snake can live with/fight off a tick(s) so this animal obviously has something wrong with it and is most likely ear marked for death. all those complaining, i get where you are coming from, i really do, but nobody complains about documentaries showing death or disease! this is natures way, cruel, yes but that is the world we live in.

I am a constant interferer and am the first to admit it..... My first response was aarrghhh how terrible and shame on you OP for not helping, however who am I to judge? I am me and literally couldnt walk away however, I agree with many that ticks in the wild are a natural occurrence and logic does hint that there may well have been something wrong with the snake and the whole tick infestation was nature cleaning up the situation. I have never seen anything like that on a reptile before so thank the OP for posting the pics etc :)
Kind regards
Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back