Diamond Python with over 100 ticks on it.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Grannie there was a thread a few weeks ago about a snake EXACTLY like this one found by a ranger on Stradbroke Island and it was taken to the wildlife hospital at the Gold Coast and is making a full recovery at last account although it is spending a little time in foster care first.

Really, gee I didn't think anything could recover from something as bad as that. Well, maybe someone could go looking for it and maybe find it again and rescue it....poor, poor creature.

I think a majority of people would like to let nature takes it course but to possibley prolong and animals suffering/death by not offering help

and what if this person had NOT seen the snake? its condition would not be known about so does that make its pain and suffering any less?

for goodness sake do you honestly expect people who dont like snakes to go to the extent of picking them up and carry them to a vet considering they probably have NOTHING on them or in their cars what they can put a snake in and what if it had been a venomous snake? would you still expect them to take it to a vet oh and pray tell how were they suppose to put it out of its misery if thats the choice they had to take? nice big rock on its head several times till they were sure it was dead? ffs

People who weren't going to like this shouldn't have opened the thread, we all knew what has going to be in here. Also maybe the op thought the snake would be able to survive and was trying to show everyone how amazing they are and what they can survive with.

No we didn't. I thought it was going to be another rescue thread like the last tick one and was curious to see if it was the same area etc.

Just a warning when dealing with animals that are infested with ticks. You are putting yourself at great risk of contracting a disease called 'lyme disease'. If bitten by a tick, it is possible that the bacteria can spread through your entire body and cause severe illness. If not treated early it can be fatal. There are also no tests available in australia nor is it recognised as being in australia until now.

Last edited:
I think a majority of people would like to let nature takes it course but to possibley prolong and animals suffering/death by not offering help

and what if this person had NOT seen the snake? its condition would not be known about so does that make its pain and suffering any less?

for goodness sake do you honestly expect people who dont like snakes to go to the extent of picking them up and carry them to a vet considering they probably have NOTHING on them or in their cars what they can put a snake in and what if it had been a venomous snake? would you still expect them to take it to a vet oh and pray tell how were they suppose to put it out of its misery if thats the choice they had to take? nice big rock on its head several times till they were sure it was dead? ffs

I bet if the infested animal was a cute kitten that had a collar and had evidently escaped someone's yard to fall victim to ticks, you'd go off your head if the OP turned it into a Kodak moment, left it to die and posted the pics up.

I don't have an opinion on what the OP did. Maybe a bit heartless that he didn't call a wildlife carer to sort it out, but I don't blame a person who doesn't like snakes for not picking it up and ripping ticks off it.

This is retarded.

I hope the majority of you NEVER go into the bush. Leave it for the people with half a brain to enjoy.

To the OP, thanks for posting. I enjoy nature at her best and her worst.

This is retarded.

I hope the majority of you NEVER go into the bush. Leave it for the people with half a brain to enjoy.

I once patted a pademelon that had its eye ripped out, leaving a gaping infected hole. It was very tame for some reason and let me pat it, so I guess I could have taken it to get help. But I didn't, like a baws.

I think people on this website are way too sensitive; OP saw a wild animal in its natural habitat and left it alone. I thought one of the golden rules was to leave only footprints and take only photos, right?

You will find that the vast majority of keepers do not feed live prey items so please don't make broad,uneducated,sweeping statements like that.
and the reason we don't feed live food is to prevent injury to snake so dont start saying we are the ones doing the wrong thing.

thanks for that comment ramsayi

so why did you open it and comment too? ive sat on this site for months and not said squat about any of the bickering that goes on here, so now i finally have a say and get shot down.. just like everyone else does, who cares? freedom of opinion is open to everyone, including the guy that posted it in the first place, so I didnt agree with it, and you didn't agree with me.. Lets all cry now, because having a forum where everyone agrees and nobody has a good debate or discussion is far more entertaining than hearing that all of us are unique, entitled to their own opinions and all here to learn something new and network.. I didn't ask you to agree with my opinion, or to read it, each to their own hunny

I think you took Zack13's comment way too personal. You're right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion including the lad you just shot down!

I have been thinking about it a lot with all the different opinions i think the part that bugs me is that the op did NOTHING... I would not be upset if he said he ended the snake's suffering instead of getting it help. It's the idea it was left to linger, I know that is nature too but if you are in a position to do something about it you should. If I clip an animal with the car I pull over and end it, if I find a baby bird that has fallen out of it's nest and is too young to be cared for I don't leave it to starve to death. Not all animals can be saved and plenty suffer but it doesn't mean you can't intervene one way or another when you do see it. Just my opinion but I stand by it.

What was the point in posting it in the first place or even joining here?

You say you dont like snakes but are happy to post upsetting pictures for those that do love them?
I would think the point of the videos and photos was to document an interesting observation of nature. The pictures aren't upsetting at all, in fact they're informative to those of us with an interest in herpetology (that is the study of reptiles and amphibians).

too bloody true to do nothing is horrid.
Why? The options as I see it are:
1. Kill all the ticks (which have as much right to survival as the snake).
2. Take the snake into care which imo should always be the last option or never an option at all, note: this still envolves mass tick genocide.
3. Do nothing and let nature take its course. Sure... it looks like the snake will die, but as previously mentioned it's more likely it will die from an existing problem rather than the ticks. It is in no way beneficial for parasites such as ticks to kill their host and very rarely, if ever at all, happens.

Headlining on the human news - 'ozbrad was eaten by a shark and filmed by other humans in what was said to be an extraordinary event'
we are all just animals in the end but hey I'm fine with you not being confident enough to help the poor animal (as I don't like nursing homes - theyre all going to die anyway why not let nature take its course? oh yeah thats right theyre people and thats vastly different), but you didnt need to put it on a herp loving site.. if you think it was an 'extraordinary event' maybe the photography sites would be better suited? oh and as for killing the rats so we can all feed our 'pets', if people didnt keep these pets, there would be no reason for the rats to be bred in the first place, so as much as its sad and sucks, they are fulfilling their life purpose, even if a human chose it for them. Better stop feeding your dog tho, don't want any animals to die prematurely because Chum is all that.

Photography websites are more interested in the composition and artistic value. I don't think they'd like to see ticks on a snake. As I mentioned above I find the photos interesting due to the relevance to my labs area of research. If you're on this website to just help people name their pet bearded dragons perhaps you should avoid looking at threads that people like to share of their experiences in the field, as they will often include dead animals, predation and in this case parasitism.

This is retarded.

Well said Gordo.

I have been thinking about it a lot with all the different opinions i think the part that bugs me is that the op did NOTHING... I would not be upset if he said he ended the snake's suffering instead of getting it help. It's the idea it was left to linger, I know that is nature too but if you are in a position to do something about it you should. If I clip an animal with the car I pull over and end it, if I find a baby bird that has fallen out of it's nest and is too young to be cared for I don't leave it to starve to death. Not all animals can be saved and plenty suffer but it doesn't mean you can't intervene one way or another when you do see it. Just my opinion but I stand by it.

I'm on the fence. If I personally hit an animal I'd kill it for sure, but that's because a car smacking into a deer at 80 clicks isn't exactly natural. I can understand how you'd feel bad for the animal, and that is why there are wildlife carers. If I came across that snake I may be inclined to rip the ticks off, but if I saw two wild animals fighting, I'd watch.

3. Do nothing and let nature take its course. Sure... it looks like the snake will die, but as previously mentioned it's more likely it will die from an existing problem rather than the ticks. It is in no way beneficial for parasites such as ticks to kill their host and very rarely, if ever at all, happens.

Tell that to all the people who have had dogs, cats and live stock die due to paralysis ticks.

You will find that the vast majority of keepers do not feed live prey items so please don't make broad,uneducated,sweeping statements like that.

I don't get your point? Regardless of whether live fed or not, they die to feed the snake...

I'm on the fence. If I personally hit an animal I'd kill it for sure, but that's because a car smacking into a deer at 80 clicks isn't exactly natural. I can understand how you'd feel bad for the animal, and that is why there are wildlife carers. If I came across that snake I may be inclined to rip the ticks off, but if I saw two wild animals fighting, I'd watch.

I don't think there is any black and white answer Kwaka, I hate seeing animals suffer whether it is nature or not. I have watched animals fight and hunt but in a way I am finding hard to articulate this is in some way different to me. I spend plenty of time in the scrub as an observer and as a hunter so it is not as if I am a bleeding heart greenie.

I'd like to see this Vid posted on a tick forum and see the replys....
As much as I like snakes, Ticks have a right to live as well people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back